Sheetmetal SQHD rear?

reddline

Looking to put together a SQHD rear this winter, probly be a sheetmetal housing, trying to decide if I'll go with the conventional hub and wheelbearing [Full Floater]setup, or go with wheel bearing pressed on the axle with wheel flange [Semi-Float] design. Anybody no how much weight difference, between the two? You can see pics of a version of the semi-float design on TRB Machine website.

Not much weight difference if you go with aluminum hubs. Profab also make the semi float like trb does.

I got my sheet metal housing from Advance Chassis. Very happy with the work they did. But I added all the braces to work for my truck.

if you can get a alum center that is best...

For the hubs not a big difference if you can have alum hubs.

For reference I have a iron center with steel 5 stud hubs gun drill axles and the whole thing weighs the same as my stock 106 i had in it before.

So when the money comes, a alum center (-40), alum hubs (-20), spool (-??)

I see a lot of 20-145's being used now. I guess the parts are easier to find? A friend just installed one from proformance pros, it ia a sweet piece!

Got the new Sheetmetal SQHD center housing section, without axle tubes it weighs 50 lbs. The stock SQHD cutoff that I drug out of the ironpile weighed 110 lbs with 6 inches of axletube on it.

Weighed the Alum dropout complete with stock carrier, just right at 200 lbs. How much would aftermarket spool save? Anyone used Profabs SQHD 2 1/2" gundrilled semi-float axle/spool setup?

Got the new Sheetmetal SQHD center housing section, without axle tubes it weighs 50 lbs. The stock SQHD cutoff that I drug out of the ironpile weighed 110 lbs with 6 inches of axletube on it.

i'd be curious to know how much a 20-145 (cut off the back of the differential housing to save weight) with 106 spindles and hubs on the end and thinner wall tubes weighs with a spool and gun drilled axles compared to a stock 106....

i would think it should be somewhat comparable since the 20-145 has an aluminum center

Last edited:

How thick was the plate they used for the center section? 3/16?

i'd be curious to know how much a 20-145 (cut off the back of the differential housing to save weight) with 106 spindles and hubs on the end and thinner wall tubes weighs with a spool and gun drilled axles compared to a stock 106....

i would think it should be somewhat comparable since the 20-145 has an aluminum center

They're not all aluminum...the aluminum ones are kinda hard to find. I wish we would have weighed ours, but we never did.

They're not all aluminum...the aluminum ones are kinda hard to find. I wish we would have weighed ours, but we never did.

i think they are hard to find cheap, if you want to spend the money proformancepros has them on the website

Wow 20-145 with a TRB semi floating axles weighs 511 lbs... Whats a 20-145 with 106 hubs weigh? Both using alum centers... What's a stock 106 weigh is it worth losing the weight??

that axle was cut down to 50" hub face to hub face. a stock 106 is around 400 or so. aluminum hubs and a spool would get it around 350 lbs, billet 3rd member will get you another 20 lbs off.

Last edited:
When I took out of Stock F 106 with stock hubs its weighed around 450.

When we built out Sheet metal SQHD with a Iron center, gun drilled axles and 106 hubs it ended up weighing 465.

anybody know the weight difference between an iron center sqhd and a alum center 20-145?.... assuming both have spool, etc...

Back