Sheetmetal SQHD rear?

I had SCS make me 21 spline 2 1/16 axles. gun drilled ... total length was 29". Cost a little more then 700$.

The gun drilling was expensive. about an extra 170 an axle.

I made sure the 106 spindles were machined for the bigger axles.

I just couldn't see the advantage to the spool with the 1800 price tag. A properly welded set of spiders will do the job. Although the mini spool idea may be an option.

Did you do anything with supporting the bearing caps at the rear of your sheetmetal housing. All the housings I've seen don't come with anything to keep the carrier bearing main caps from spreading like the stock housing has. The rear of the housing is just open and the bearing caps don't sit against anything. May not be quite as important with an iron drop out, but sure could shorten the life of an alum dropout. Seeings how they are so easy to come by anyways!

I had SCS make me 21 spline 2 1/16 axles. gun drilled ... total length was 29". Cost a little more then 700$.

The gun drilling was expensive. about an extra 170 an axle.

I made sure the 106 spindles were machined for the bigger axles.

I just couldn't see the advantage to the spool with the 1800 price tag. A properly welded set of spiders will do the job. Although the mini spool idea may be an option.

i talked to todd at trb and he said he has made mini spools for 20-145 and sqhd before. it will be the same spline count as the $1800 spool (2'',39 \\ 2 1/16'',32). for $700 did the axles you ordered come with the driveflanges that bolt to the 106 hub too?

Did you do anything with supporting the bearing caps at the rear of your sheetmetal housing. All the housings I've seen don't come with anything to keep the carrier bearing main caps from spreading like the stock housing has. The rear of the housing is just open and the bearing caps don't sit against anything. May not be quite as important with an iron drop out, but sure could shorten the life of an alum dropout. Seeings how they are so easy to come by anyways!

In the sheetmetal housing there is no guide or support for the main bearing caps. If i did have the alum pig I would worry about that but with the iron one I dont think there will be a problem.

I have a buddy who has gone through two alum SQ pigs. Both have destroyed themselves buy the pinion pushing out away from the ring.

I attached a photo

Attachments

• diff.jpg
    diff.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 0
i talked to todd at trb and he said he has made mini spools for 20-145 and sqhd before. it will be the same spline count as the $1800 spool (2'',39 \\ 2 1/16'',32). for $700 did the axles you ordered come with the driveflanges that bolt to the 106 hub too?

700$ was just for the axles. The gun drill was an extra 170 each and each drive flange was 150$

So a total of around 1300-1400$

Wow that picture just made me never want to run a aluminum center sqhd or 20-145

I have a buddy who has gone through two alum SQ pigs. Both have destroyed themselves buy the pinion pushing out away from the ring.

I attached a photo

What application or what type of puller?

Were they stock SQHD pigs or had they been modified?

thanks

What application or what type of puller?

Were they stock SQHD pigs or had they been modified?

thanks

To my knowledge they were stock centers. I'm not exactly sure what they consider the diesel class he is in buts its 8000lbs and he is suppose to be in the 1700-1800hp range.

NO WAY!!! Why would you do that? This thing is obviously no good!! Its an aluminum pig!!!

i bet some bolts through the back of that sheetmetal housing that would put some pressure on the maincaps may help that problem, or i'm sure someone has figured something out by now. but my truck isnt making 1700hp either so i shouldnt have a problem........ only 1650hp......:poke:

i bet some bolts through the back of that sheetmetal housing that would put some pressure on the maincaps may help that problem, or i'm sure someone has figured something out by now. but my truck isnt making 1700hp either so i shouldnt have a problem........ only 1650hp......:poke:

Yeah but u better watch out when those community bar tires come around!! Lol

I got my sheet metal housing from Advance Chassis. Very happy with the work they did. But I added all the braces to work for my truck.

if you can get a alum center that is best...

For the hubs not a big difference if you can have alum hubs.

For reference I have a iron center with steel 5 stud hubs gun drill axles and the whole thing weighs the same as my stock 106 i had in it before.

So when the money comes, a alum center (-40), alum hubs (-20), spool (-??)

where would i get a alum center section?

Search the salvage yards they are still some out there floating around.

See them on Pulloff For sale page from time to time. You could put an add on Racingjunk.
Seems like 20-145 alum dropouts easier to come by, but don't confuse that with CHEAP!

Back