Sheetmetal SQHD rear?

anybody know the weight difference between an iron center sqhd and a alum center 20-145?.... assuming both have spool, etc...

On pulloff I have read that the aluminum SQHD vs iron SQHD is only in the neighborhood of 20-30 lbs. I would expect similar between the 20145 and SQHD.

Where are you guys finding gears for the 20145? Nearly all the ones I have found are geared in the 2.9-4.X:1 range which is pretty much useless.

Well isn't his site miss leading. All the sqhd's are $350 except the 7.20 and its $395. I assumed the 20-145 was the same

Sqhd alum vs iron is ~40 lbs. The 20-145 is noticeably larger so i would assume atleast that much difference in weight.

The aluminum chunk we have for a sqhd is 20 pounds lighter that the steel. I wouldn't look real hard or pay much for that 20 pound difference.

Weighed SQHD alum dropout without R&P with bearing caps 50 lbs, Iron with same configuration 90 lbs.
Anyone heard weights on SQHD spools, stock carrier with spider gears w/o ring gear is 65 lbs w/o bearings
And yes Alum SQHD dropouts are getting hard to find, probly about as easy to find a 20145 alum dropout.

Got the new Sheetmetal SQHD center housing section, without axle tubes it weighs 50 lbs. The stock SQHD cutoff that I drug out of the ironpile weighed 110 lbs with 6 inches of axletube on it.

So you would save 40-50lbs going sheet metal over stock housing if all other parts are the same?

You will have to do some external bracing on the sheetmetal rearend, earlier in this thread there is a picture of a housing with bracing installed. The stock housing is built real heavy so it doesn't need bracing, you could cut the rear cover off the stock housing and replace it with and alum one and save 20 lbs or so.

So you would save 40-50lbs going sheet metal over stock housing if all other parts are the same?

i remember at the ntpa hook in sandwich a guy with a sheet metal sqhd housing said if he had to do it over again he would of just put a stock housing in it because he's had to weld on the sheetmetal one so much it probably weighs just as much as another truck they've built with a stock housing. im not sure who made the sheetmetal one for them.

i remember at the ntpa hook in sandwich a guy with a sheet metal sqhd housing said if he had to do it over again he would of just put a stock housing in it because he's had to weld on the sheetmetal one so much it probably weighs just as much as another truck they've built with a stock housing. im not sure who made the sheetmetal one for them.

No way. A sheet metal rear is in the neighbor hood of 400 pounds give or take. Stock SQHD ready to go into a truck is going to be north of 600 pounds. When i went from my 106 to my 172 both stock housings and hubs, i had to take 200 pounds off the nose.

No way. A sheet metal rear is in the neighbor hood of 400 pounds give or take. Stock SQHD ready to go into a truck is going to be north of 600 pounds. When i went from my 106 to my 172 both stock housings and hubs, i had to take 200 pounds off the nose.

just repeating what i was told, and who knows maybe they used really thick steel?

I'll just mention again that my sheet metal SQHD ended up weighing 465.

That was with gun drilled axles, steel 106 5 stud hubs, stock iron carrier.

The bracing on it didn't add to0 much weight. Thin Chrome Moly tube is pretty light.

I also foamed the inside which saved a good chunk of weight on unnecessary oil.

If anyone knows where I could get a alum center section I would certainly be interested in one!

Advance Chassis did my housing and I did the bracing.

The bracing on it didn't add to0 much weight. Thin Chrome Moly tube is pretty light.

If anyone knows where I could get a alum center section I would certainly be interested in one!

what thickness steel are you using? what parts of the housing are people filling with foam?

i would give proformancepros a call... i know they have the alum centers for a 20-145 but not sure on a sqhd

Last edited:
what thickness steel are you using? what parts of the housing are people filling with foam?

i would give proformancepros a call... i know they have the alum centers for a 20-145 but not sure on a sqhd

The housing itself was 1/8.

The tubing was .080 chrome moly

what spline side gears are in the sqhd stock center? did you go with the 2 1/16'' 32 spline axles? it would be nice to get by one year without a $1800 spool, but be able to upgrade to a spool later without changing axles.

Last edited:
I think they come with 21 spline or 22 spline, both are 2"+ dia axles. If you are going to stick with stock welded carrier, you can have axles made, gun drilled or not, reasonable for those splines. TRB or SCS can handle it. If you are going to weld up a stock carrier, you could check on using 2 1/16-32 spline side gears [they'd have to be made], probly wouldn't save you much. You could check with Todd at TRB macine, they may have minispool set up for SQHD already.

SCS says their SQHD spool weighs 44 lbs,and has SCS32 splines. You can use shorter axles[about 3" shorter?] than stock carrier, as the splines are at the edge of the spool under the bearings, instead in the middle where spider gears would go in a stock carrier.

Back