Sidewinder Type D Update thread.

I haven't played beer pong since college, and I always ended the night on my feet. :evil

If I come up I'll bring some Stone Ruination of some Homebrew, we'll see who the real men are. :poke:

Sweet! I heard myself announce the time at the end! LOL

God I sound like a hick LOL

What a cool event this past weekend in Bakersfield. Congratulations to the NADM on their first event. You guys did a fantastic job. We met a lot of good folks including Stuckey, Unbroken, DaPilot, Tim T. and even Dennis Perry. I look forward to meeting more of you guys when we head back east and down south later this year. We're going to attend Dennis Perry’s event and will probably run in Georgia in May. We also will likely be running up in Canada at the NADP Event in August. There we’re some pretty impressive trucks at Bakersfield and I’m can’t wait to see what the boys back east have got running.

Diesel Tech,

You must have a hidden video camera in one of our buildings or something. You seem to know everything we do so well. BTW, where was your truck? I expected to see it there being that it was the first National Diesel Event of the year and you're located an hour an a half from it. I did hear that you were 20 feet from our pits watching the entire day and even came up and took a few pictures (hopefully it’s not for the next Hurry-Round-Hondo splash). I wish you would have come up and introduced yourself. But, I guess it’s easier to talk from behind the screen.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Colin Banks

Last edited:
At higher RPM and under a little more load, it sounds like a gasser. If you listen to it at idle, you can tell it's definitely a diesel; it's got that shudder that could knock over small dogs, and sounds like a little man with a hammer is inside, self clearancing a few things. The fact that it's running such high RPM, 5,000+ over the average 3,000 or so red-line of a stock diesel, is what makes it really sound like a gasser on the top end, then again, it also idles quite a bit higher than your average Cummins

Highly impressed. That thing sounds mean, and as it turns out it's bark equals it's bite. Good show men. Hope to see that hotrod out here in the east sometime.:clap:

It does sound like a big block gasser with a supercharger.
But I did see a little puff of black smoke on take off on at least 2 different videos.........
Congrats.... I hope to smash your new record to smithereens one day.

I have been racing in the NHRA & IHRA for several years. Even a supercharged big block will put out a small "puff" of black smoke.

To sum up so far, I am impressed with the most recent posts by the Banks crew. Good job guys, keep it up.

Now I need to go find me some Vertical Epic, or Alesmith Grand Cru. :woohoo:

Let me throw a few things out...

Banks asked if we could supply their diesel fuel at Famoso, which I told them I didn't think I could. They have asked for it at the MAY 17th COMP D INVITATIONAL which they plan to attend. We are trying to set that up for them.

Next, about their runs at the track. On their first pass, they ran a 8.20 @ 169 mph. While it was a nice pass they were not happy. They discovered what happened and came back out. When they ran, and hit the top side of the track, you could hear it lay down. I actually thought they lifted. The result was a 8.09 at only 159 mph. BUT, they were over 4mph faster and nearly 2 tenths quicker in the 1/8 as compared to their first run. Last pass, which was the record pass, was 8.06 @ 162 with the truck still laying over on the top end. So, I look at the 1000ft time and this truck ran 6.60's to that point. Guys, that is hoofing it.

We all have asked the Banks team to come out to play with us. They did. They came out and made as many passes as time would allow. They have promised to come back out to our next 1/4 mile event. Lets welcome them into our family just like we would any other racer and have some fun! :welcome:

The bar has been set... 8.06 at 162 mph. Thats the record... who wants it? :poke:

Let me be the first person that has given the Banks guys a hard time to say, Thanks, and keep up the good work. These guys are all right in person, and are definitely hitting it hard at the track. While I don't have plans to go buy a 6 gun just yet, I will say that I am impressed at their showing, and in the guys in the pits in general.

Diesel Tech,

You must have a hidden video camera in one of our buildings or something. You seem to know everything we do so well. BTW, where was your truck? I expected to see it there being that it was the first National Diesel Event of the year and you're located an hour an a half from it. I did hear that you were 20 feet from our pits watching the entire day and even came up and took a few pictures (hopefully it’s not for the next Hurry-Round-Hondo splash). I wish you would have come up and introduced yourself. But, I guess it’s easier to talk from behind the screen.

Oh well, maybe next time.

Colin Banks

Since I was working on 2 trucks that were pitted across from your pit (Stuckey and BigR ) I was there most of the day. As far as watching your pits and taking pictures, how long did it take for you to dream that one up. When a couple of your crew came over and said hello I talked with them but there was no way I would go over to your pit. Your BS post here is just the reason I stayed away. If you or your father had any balls at all you would have come around and introduced yourselves. As I stated before nothing has changed, your post and your BS video show it. Same old BS just another day. The only pictures I took were out on the race track and yes there is event a couple of the GBE race car as well as others. As far as I can tell the crew are all good people and worked hard to make the race car run properly, maybe someday you and your father can learn to be like them.

Spec fuel is GREAT idea.

But why just Banks? I have a strange feeling there are trucks that don't run pump diesel, and it's not Banks.

For the Goof Balls out there who claim to be tasting Bank's fuel:

The Dmaxes have more air/nitrous than they can use.
Racing diesel is oxygenated. That means MORE air. Wrong direction.
It's pretty obvious the engine is a compression ignition common rail Duramax. You aren't going to be running alcohol in it for either more power, or more than a short time.

"The experts" know that alcohol takes twice the air that diesel does, and you must inject twice as much to make the same power. Can't double the fuel delivery of a single CP3. Nope.

Since I was working on 2 trucks that were pitted across from your pit (Stuckey and BigR ) I was there most of the day. As far as watching your pits and taking pictures, how long did it take for you to dream that one up. When a couple of your crew came over and said hello I talked with them but there was no way I would go over to your pit. Your BS post here is just the reason I stayed away. If you or your father had any balls at all you would have come around and introduced yourselves. As I stated before nothing has changed, your post and your BS video show it. Same old BS just another day. The only pictures I took were out on the race track and yes there is event a couple of the GBE race car as well as others. As far as I can tell the crew are all good people and worked hard to make the race car run properly, maybe someday you and your father can learn to be like them.

Steve Cole,

I don’t know what you look like or I would have come up and introduced myself. I was told later that you we’re watching our pit from across the way. You do know who my dad is and you probably could have figured out who I was as well. You pass so much judgment on who we are or how the company is run and you don’t know what your talking about. Why do you care so much anyways? You own TTS Performance and make your own stuff and have your own market share/channel. Why do you get so concerned with Banks? We’re not concerned with TTS. We don’t jump onto TTS based threads and give our opinion. As a supplier of parts, I think that’s the wrong thing to do.

What B.S. video are you referring to, the one that the local news station came down and shot? What did my dad say that irritated you anyways? Was it that he said our S-10 is the world fastest and quickest diesel pickup truck? I don’t get you man. He was only on there during two 10 second clips and basically said the same thing. He never ran anybody down; he simply stated what our truck has done. The gentlemen who had the most airtime during the middle of the clip is John Stewart the technical editor of Diesel World Magazine. Diesel World is the publication who put on the event. Did we post that video on this site? Somebody added the video to You Tube and that’s about it. We’re not cramming this video down people’s throats on this or any other website. Somebody (not from Banks) went out and found it and posted it on this thread.

Here is the video that you’re referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5Pr5Mu3xk

Where was your truck? This was the first National Diesel Event of the year and your shop is only and hour and a half from the track. Why didn’t you run?

Colin Banks

Spec fuel is GREAT idea.

But why just Banks? I have a strange feeling there are trucks that don't run pump diesel.

Pat,
I think, and don't quote me on this, but we're trying to have a spec fuel at the event, in the same way you would have, say, Rocket Brand Fuel at an NHRA type event, to make sure that everyone runs the same thing. It's so that EVERYONE knows that we're all running the same fuel, we all got it from the same place, and if one person is running fast or slow with it, than everyone else can run fast or slow.

If anyone's got a question as to whether any of the trucks, Type-D included, is running straight diesel or some secret blend, the spec fuel would squash any rumors that a particular truck was running alcohol or anything other than diesel. I suppose there would still be the possibility of pouring a bottle of cetane booster or something similar in the tank, but you're not going to get too much extra power, unless you pour a whole case in.

Anyway, I think it's being worked on for the Comp D invitational event, not sure if it will happen or not.

See you guys on the track.

And Pat, what exactly was that you threw on the track at Famoso?

Later
Chris

I'll have good ol straight #2 at the Comp D Invitational.

Colin, I'm sure there is no way you can be ignorant of the history between Steve and you father's company. I'm not in the least bit surprised as to why he didn't come over to say hello.

Steve Cole,

What B.S. video are you referring to, the one that the local news station came down and shot? What did my dad say that irritated you anyways? Was it that he said our S-10 is the world fastest and quickest diesel pickup truck? I don’t get you man. He was only on there during two 10 second clips and basically said the same thing. He never ran anybody down; he simply stated what our truck has done. The gentlemen who had the most airtime during the middle of the clip is John Stewart the technical editor of Diesel World Magazine. Diesel World is the publication who put on the event. Did we post that video on this site? Somebody added the video to You Tube and that’s about it. We’re not cramming this video down people’s throats on this or any other website. Somebody (not from Banks) went out and found it and posted it on this thread.

Here is the video that you’re referring to:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC5Pr5Mu3xk

Colin Banks

You sent a press kit over to the TV station (BTW, channel 23 there in Bakersfield). With all the information necessary for the news folks to craft your TV spot the way you wanted it. Naturally Mr Stewart isn't going to bad mouth Banks or say anything the advertisements he publishes for you for fear of his job.

You can NOT deny you did not have ANY influence in how that video turned out.

I wouldn't be surprised Banks didn't pay for this spot or it must be a real slow news day there in SoCal with all the crime problems solved and what not (gaaawd I hate the media and it's retardation, another thread, another day, or just see fark.com for a daily running examples.)

Pat,
I think, and don't quote me on this, but we're trying to have a spec fuel at the event, in the same way you would have, say, Rocket Brand Fuel at an NHRA type event, to make sure that everyone runs the same thing. It's so that EVERYONE knows that we're all running the same fuel, we all got it from the same place, and if one person is running fast or slow with it, than everyone else can run fast or slow.

If anyone's got a question as to whether any of the trucks, Type-D included, is running straight diesel or some secret blend, the spec fuel would squash any rumors that a particular truck was running alcohol or anything other than diesel. I suppose there would still be the possibility of pouring a bottle of cetane booster or something similar in the tank, but you're not going to get too much extra power, unless you pour a whole case in.

Anyway, I think it's being worked on for the Comp D invitational event, not sure if it will happen or not.

See you guys on the track.

And Pat, what exactly was that you threw on the track at Famoso?

Later
Chris

Heck us guys with stock trucks that are still under warranty can't use nothing but pump fuel! :D Kidding, my truck is not stock, I removed the Cat.

Seriously,

Nothing happened to Casper that increasing the IQ of the owner won't fix.

I made too many changes at once, and the something is causing the boost to fall hard at the 330' marker. Got our best ever 330' times, but the rest of the pass was ~200-250rwhp down.

Seems the guy in the other lane broke I guess. I just lifted to 1/4 throttle.

I drove the truck around yesterday and it runs great at "street-legal" speeds, so I need to get to a dyno or a track to figure out what went wrong.

But all was not lost.

Kat's best ET ever was 12.85 @ 103. We put on the BANKS RamAir Superscoop, mostly just to piss off the haters. :D We also put a new downpipe off the turbo at the same time, but dyno'd the changes separately. While the downpipe did not increase peak HP, the Banks intake did, and both allowed us to extend the RPM range on the engine.

Now her new best ET is 12.65 @ 105.x, at the same DA. Or about 40rwhp average gain under the curve. Math indicates that 25rwhp of it was Banks, and 15 was the downpipe. This is AVERAGE HP, not peak.

Banks POWA baby!! :D

Back