Spray pattern discussion

So you stuck with the 6.7 configuration? Did you think about the skirt wear issue? The industrial are coated top and skirts right?

6.7 industrial pistons are not coated in factory form.

I'm not sure why a 6.7 configuration is a negative.

The skirt wear issue??

ok so they have to get coated! Easy fix!
So why the 6.4? thought that was the answer to the 6.7 problems!?
Seen a few 6.7 with abnormal wear at the compression ring area which makes the piston slap the skirts into the cylinders. Weird I know but back to my EGR = destroyed engines before 200k! Just had to take a block down .040 to get rid of the wear area!

So are you comparing bore wear on a egr equipped engine vs non egr?

No need to coat anything, if it's setup right, and your PTW is on point, your not going to see increased skirt wear in a non egr application.

Subbed in. Good info in here. So stock 6.7 pistons are not runnable on the 04.5-07 nozzle? But the industrial piston is. That solves my new injector dilemma.

Subbed in. Good info in here. So stock 6.7 pistons are not runnable on the 04.5-07 nozzle? But the industrial piston is. That solves my new injector dilemma.

That is correct the re-entrant bowl does not work well with 124* cone angles.

The Industrial 6.7 bowls lend themselves as a hybrid if you will...will work with cone angles from 124*-147*.

I'm still not sure why either is better or worse since big hp mechanical setups use tighter than 04.5-07 cone angle in a bowl

like this

image_zpsouucgzkm.jpg

Lenny sent me one but I deleted his text...?
Here ya go Les, pics from Dynomite

STOCK 6.7L Dodge '07.5-'12 Dual Plane
7958662f7f81faf6d07dffb35bbc5d38.jpg

HONED 6.7L Dodge '07.5-'12 Dual Plane
*Example is a BIG Nozzle...
33f25e87a378276d1d4a2a7a57cf1479.jpg

HONED 5.9L Dodge 5 hole 124* '04.5-'07
5bc8a7b28d4e0e14c03ba610211d950a.jpg

HONED 5.9L Dodge 7 hole SAC 143* '03-'04
b99e6e7810d769631b261bd0a1276430.jpg

Would it be too much to ask for someone (you high tech folks) to publish a complete list. Something like this for example:

04.5-07 5.9 124* 03-04 reentrant bowl - Best used for (Add best use application)
04.5-07 5.9 143* 03-04 bowls - Best used for (Add best use application)

And so on and so on...... You get the idea..Even if I didn't present it correctly.

It would be interesting to see how many of the top testing guys / gals agree on the list.

Or is this too much secret info to publish for all to share for our personal builds in the future.

Would it be too much to ask for someone (you high tech folks) to publish a complete list. Something like this for example:

04.5-07 5.9 124* 03-04 reentrant bowl - Best used for (Add best use application)
04.5-07 5.9 143* 03-04 bowls - Best used for (Add best use application)

And so on and so on...... You get the idea..Even if I didn't present it correctly.

It would be interesting to see how many of the top testing guys / gals agree on the list.

Or is this too much secret info to publish for all to share for our personal builds in the future.

THAT WOULD BE AWESOME! :snoop:

Running an 03-04 injector with an 04.5-07 Pistons will create slightly more haze and slightly less power but you will decrease the chances of melting a piston due to spraying out of the bowl. Essentially you can just run higher timing more safely but not sure if it's better suited for a certain application. Here's a link where it gets discussed a little:

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127450

I'd still like to try a set of LLY nozzles on my cummins Injector bodies although Weston has told me to make it work efficiently I should reshape the stock 04.5-07 piston bowls on my truck. Curiosity just kills me.

Running an 03-04 injector with an 04.5-07 Pistons will create slightly more haze and slightly less power but you will decrease the chances of melting a piston.

That's about the only part of the above post that is true. Please disregard the rest. If it's possible the mods can delete or alter it to only show that valid info.

That's about the only part of the above post that is true. Please disregard the rest. If it's possible the mods can delete or alter it to only show that valid info.

As opposed to the 124* in a 07 bowl? Not sure if I am following right...

As opposed to the 124* in a 07 bowl? Not sure if I am following right...

I was talking about 5.9 Injectors and Pistons. The early 03-04 units can be run with the later 04.5-07 Pistons but not the other way around. And yes they will create slightly more haze/smoke and less power than the correct 124* Injector would but you do reduce the chances of melting a piston. With today's tuning I don't think melting Pistons is a big issue anymore.

I'd like to see the marks on top of industrial 6.7 pistons with the late narrow cone angle injectors. I'm all for every advantage possible in making more power.

Anyone have pics?

Back