Started the Twins

justinp20012500 said:
Don't forget to open the holes.

Also, have a flow jet custom cut a 1/2" thick w/g cover and then machine out an indentation to allow the flappers (for lack of a better term) to open farther and bypass more gas...

i wasnt gonna mention that as i dont think most are running "stipid" amounts of boost (80-90lbs+), the covers on these SS housings are awefull thin, Dave sent me an old one that is 3/8 think and it held good for the couple runs it got before IT GOT SOOOOOO FRICKIN COLD. havent driven it since Oct.
its in a hundred pieces or more at the moment.

HTT has reduced the puck size and hole size to remedy that problem.

well started the mock up today, ran into the first problem, turned the ats manifold upside down and the turbo hits the female junction (by a mile). called rip @ source and he said gring the manifold & use a 1/2" spacer. will post picyures soon.

scot

Idaho do you happen to know when these changes took place? My turbo is fairly ne and I'm wondering if it's even an issue for me?

gonna guess August as it was July when Nathan was told about this and he told HTT of the minor changes that need to be made. just a little tweaking on a new product.

I would say the changes were implemented Oct./Nov. but you'd have to call HTT to know for sure.

Yes but not a lot. Mainly it was to reduce the puck size for clearance in the housing and then they had to reduce the hole size slightly to have enough overlap with the puck. The flaps/pucks would fall down away from the holes when the turbo was upright and catch on the side of the housing. I dont know the final dimensions but I bet they are at least 7/8" still. HTT would be a better one to ask about the dimensions.

I talked to Rip about using my S300/S400 pipes from him and putting a 62/71/13SS on top and he mentioned something about how the exhaust housing is different that the normal 14cm and my piping would have to be modified.

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 14cm exhaust housing and the 13SS housings that would prevent me from dropping it in where mt S300 is?

I have been told that the S.S. exhaust housing is longer than a non-S.S. housing

scot

Ah, I wonder how much longer? If it is only a 1/4" or so I think I could make things work.

Did some more work on the twins, decided to use a v-band assembly at the inlet of the upper turbo, but there was a major ridge. so to the lathe it went, now it has a smooth transition with no ridge.

scot

Attachments

• DSC01610.bmp
    543.5 KB · Views: 404
  • DSC01611.bmp
    719.9 KB · Views: 410
  • DSC01612.bmp
    535.6 KB · Views: 403
i know yall are talking about making spacers for your wastegate covers but, what would be wrong with taking the spaced out cover (say 1/2 inch to allow for more "flapper opening room" and then cutting a hole in the cover and piping in a "bypass pipe" from that cover to the hotpipe?? My thinking tells me that this will create a vacuum in the wastegate portion to futher the flow of exhaust.

Lance

Worked on the hot pipe today, had more pictures but accidentally deleted them. here they are.

scot

Attachments

• hot pipe1.JPG
    hot pipe1.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 136
  • hot pipe2.JPG
    hot pipe2.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 102
  • hot pipe3.JPG
    hot pipe3.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 131
  • hot pipe4.JPG
    hot pipe4.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 93
  • hot pipe5.JPG
    hot pipe5.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 102
Man...looking GOOOOODDD!

One thing's for sure, your twins will look a whole lot better than mine...no offense Brandon:D:D

Chris

Yea, look at the weld on the center pic......there is a welding lesson!

Someone went to welding school with Gunnery Seargent Hartman as there instructor.

That coated pipe is the hardest stuff to weld out there.

Jim

Now that the hot pipe is done, it's time to start on the cold side. Was thinking of doing it in steel, since i need to come out of the lower charger with a 3" v-band clamp, then into a 3 x 4 reducer, and the 4" to the top turbo. Any reason not to use steel, and do it in aluminum ? both ends of the cold pipe will have v-band clamps on it. any suggestions ?

Also are there any port that should be put into either the hot or cold pipe ? (like to hook a boost,drive pressure,wide band,etc, type of gauge into )

As far as drive pressure, since the flange on the manifold, and the spacer between the manifold and turbo are divided are you getting a true reading by ony tapping into one side, or should a tee of some-sort be used to get pressue from both sides ?

scot

Signature600 said:
Man...looking GOOOOODDD!

One thing's for sure, your twins will look a whole lot better than mine...no offense Brandon:D:D

Chris
If you're that picky, I'll just tack them and take them to someone that knows how to weld.

Looking GREAT scot! I'd put a 1/8npt bung into the cold pipe for when you want to 'tune' the secondary's wastegate. I wouldn't worry about the drive pressure variance from front-to-back.

Back