Studs or head bolts?

my new 24v p-pump motor is going to have stock head bolts. i am using keating machine's fire ring head gasket with stock bolts. keating said to machine the head and block flat, cut the fire ring grooves in the block. then run stock bolts. this set up he said is what he is running his truck with well over 100psi of boost.

So what if we live in the middle of Utah where the logical choice would be to fire ring the head and use 12mm ARP studs. Will the bolts crush the rings "enough" where there shouldn't be a problem?

Ok, so just to make sure i've got this understanding right do the following:
1. Make sure to clean the snot out of the bolt holes
2. Apply moly based lube to the bolt threads and bolt head vigorously!
3. Follow the stock torque procedure until you reach the "90 degrees past" part. I think that's 90 ft-lbs if I remember correctly.
3. Torque all the head bolts down in 5 lb increments to 130 ft-lbs.

Questions:
1. Is 130ft-lbs adequate or should one go farther or not as far?
2. Is there a time between each of the torque sequences the bolt need to allow for any kind of cooling or some other reason?
3. Is there anything in general that I missed besides the drink beer while doing this part lol?

Thanks

Anyone?

130 should be fine....rent an electronic Torque wrench and have a few sips of beer between twists(increments) and you should be fine.

130 should be fine....rent an electronic Torque wrench and have a few sips of beer between twists(increments) and you should be fine.

Tim, why did you go to 160? Assume I am doing this for a truck that will make 600 hp on #2 and above 700 hp on #2 + giggle gas! Also, was my understanding of the 5 ft-lbs at a time correct?

Garmon did mine(he was just clamping the piss our of mine), and if you are planning on spraying, you will need to O-Ring it.

Garmon did mine, and if you are planning on spraying, you will need to O-Ring it.

Head from PDR will arrive next week with O-Ring in it. Going to use a stock gasket and this torque procedure. If Garmon did that I think i'll stick with 130 ft-lbs unless anyone can find a reason to go farther. The idea of snapped head bolts frightens me!!!

I screwed up! I meant to say from Pure Diesel Power, my bad! I've got the same thing wpeschel!

I screwed up! I meant to say from Pure Diesel Power, my bad! I've got the same thing wpeschel!

Cool you will be happy with it... I like mine it was a nice piece... You might want to have some high temp paint on hand...

Is the head un-painted? No biggy, just want to be prepared!

Head is unpainted... Also mine came unassembled cause I already had 60lb valve springs and it was cheaper cause they unassemble it anyway to oring it... Mine was shipped out straight to me from the machine shop that oringed it cause Garret had to go out of town and he accidently forgot to send the valve seals so might want to remind him if he is shipping it unassembled.. He sent them out overnight to me it was no biggie.. Also if you plan on studding it with the new arp's you will need to get the rocker arm pedastal machined down.. Luckily there is a great machinest in Brenham tx Arrow machine, who machined mine at 5pm when I found out i had to get them machined...

Opps scratch that I see you are useing head bolts... That might be a good way to save money and I would have been very tempted if I didnt already have studs purchased... It would be my luck to break one off in the block, then finally getting it out and blowing a headgasket a week later just to purchase studs... That is the luck I have... Good luck..

Head is unpainted... Also mine came unassembled cause I already had 60lb valve springs and it was cheaper cause they unassemble it anyway to oring it... Mine was shipped out straight to me from the machine shop that oringed it cause Garret had to go out of town and he accidently forgot to send the valve seals so might want to remind him if he is shipping it unassembled.. He sent them out overnight to me it was no biggie.. Also if you plan on studding it with the new arp's you will need to get the rocker arm pedastal machined down.. Luckily there is a great machinest in Brenham tx Arrow machine, who machined mine at 5pm when I found out i had to get them machined...

Ok, thanks for the heads up!

So what about fire rings? Would the stock bolts crush the rings for the proper seal?

Back