Superduty P-pump 24v cummins build thread

Hey Matt,

How's the healing?

Hate to see this thread slip to the second page.

The healing is going pretty well luckily. Most of my burns have closed up besides a little on the inside of my right leg. The rest looks like a massive bruise now, but Im back to being able to walk perfectly normal now. Its just gonna be a long time that I have to keep my leg protected now. Good news is that since its pretty much all closed up Im planning on heading back to Ohio friday morning for the weekend.

Im hoping that this weekend I can get the truck all buttoned up and take it for the first test drive, I got a couple parts that have showed up here that are the last pieces of the puzzle. Im ready to get this thing done!

Hey Matt,

Good looking conversion! I always like to see a Cummins take the place of a measely 6 leaker! LOL

Who's tappet cover did you use? I had considered Haisley's but the nearly $300 price tag is a little hard to swallow.

Congrats on healing fast man! Good luck with the first test drive!

Thanks Ryan!

Good news Matt.

get some video of that first drive.:rockwoot:

Ill be sure to get that video!

Hey Matt,

Good looking conversion! I always like to see a Cummins take the place of a measely 6 leaker! LOL

Who's tappet cover did you use? I had considered Haisley's but the nearly $300 price tag is a little hard to swallow.

Thank you! I used the tappet cover from eatsoot.com he is a sponsor on here, Im really happy with it

Well after 3 weeks Im finally healed up enough that I could get back to work on the fummins, so I drove back to ohio today to spend the weekend trying to get it finished up! Finally got coolant running through it today along with a couple other small things. I got a video but my phone wont let me upload it, Ill remember my camera tomorrow.

Here is a picture of the engine almost all buttoned up! sorry for the crappy cell pic
IMG_20120727_185224.jpg

Ok I have a question for the experts, I put in an aftermarket autometer oil pressure guage so I could get a more accurate reading, so I got it wired up today. At idle Im making about 70psi and when I rev it up its making 100psi. This is maybe at 2k RPM. This just seems awful high for oil pressure, the oil pump is brand new and of course the engine is a fresh rebuild and has only been ran for probably a total of five minutes, is the high oil pressure most likely a result of air in the system still or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ok I have a question for the experts, I put in an aftermarket autometer oil pressure guage so I could get a more accurate reading, so I got it wired up today. At idle Im making about 70psi and when I rev it up its making 100psi. This is maybe at 2k RPM. This just seems awful high for oil pressure, the oil pump is brand new and of course the engine is a fresh rebuild and has only been ran for probably a total of five minutes, is the high oil pressure most likely a result of air in the system still or should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Is it a mechanical or electric gauge? I'm assuming electric since you mentioned wiring it. 70psi could very well be correct for a fresh rebuild and new oil pump.

Thanks for pointing me to JD's Diesel for the tappet cover. Far cheaper than Haisley! I'll be picking one up soon!

Is it a mechanical or electric gauge? I'm assuming electric since you mentioned wiring it. 70psi could very well be correct for a fresh rebuild and new oil pump.

Thanks for pointing me to JD's Diesel for the tappet cover. Far cheaper than Haisley! I'll be picking one up soon!

Its an electric one, I put the sending unit in the port on top of the oil filter housing. Im kinda thinking its correct too, especially cause its never been up to operating temperature either, but I just want to be sure!

And no problem! His prices are great and its a great piece

Made a ton of progress today, All the help from Jason, Bryan and Mink made things go a lot quicker today! Basically the truck is ready for a test drive minus one stupid oil leak issue. Today I got the rest of the exhaust made, intake made, shift linkage made (huge thanks to jason for the help with that). Soldered in the last couple wires. Put the fan on, bled the brakes from the cab being off, put the front end back on. Ran the tcase wiring harness. Then some small odds and ends.

I meant to get a video with the exhaust and everything hooked up but I forgot, but it sounds dam good! The turbo has plenty of whistle to it. I even put the truck in drive for the first time and it moved about 3 inches under its own power LOL

So I had it ready for the test drive when the one oil leak Ive had since I first fired the engine bit me in the ass. The oil feed line fitting for the powersteering/vaccum pump has never stopped leaking and its a steady leak. Ive tried plenty of fittings with no luck. Well then the hydroboost fitting on the back of the pump started leaking too. Then the threads on the pump for the oil feed stripped out. So of course the last non new part is preventing me from driving the truck, gonna have to try putting a new pump on tomorrow to finally drive it.

Here are some pics:

All 5 gauges installed now:
DSCN1505.jpg

Exhaust piece:
DSCN1506.jpg

Installed:
DSCN1512.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

Shift lever with ford lever welded on:
DSCN1507.jpg

Shift linkage mount:
DSCN1508.jpg

DSCN1509.jpg

DSCN1511.jpg

Intake:
DSCN1515.jpg

Front end on:
DSCN1518.jpg

Engine shot:
DSCN1519.jpg

So for an update, I got the oil leak fixed but the hydrobost line that goes to the back of the powersteering pump wouldnt stop spraying out fluid. I tried a new oring on it and still did the same. So I think I need to get a new dodge end fitting for it and try. Unfortunately I couldnt get on before having to head back north. Other than that the truck is all ready for a test drive!

Of course I had another hold up yesterday when I got a metal shaving stuck in my eye and had to go to the ER. They couldnt get it out cause it was too deep so I went to an eye doctor this morning and they got it out. I had to wear an eyepatch yesterday so between that and my leg all wrapped I was looking great LOL

I did manage to get two videos for you guys though:

Start up and walk around video:

[ame="http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/mpopiel/03%20King%20ranch/?action=view&current=DSCN1520.mp4"]03 King ranch :: DSCN1520.mp4 video by mpopiel - Photobucket[/ame]

Bringing it up in the RPMs a little:
[ame="http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/mpopiel/03%20King%20ranch/?action=view&current=DSCN1521.mp4"]03 King ranch :: DSCN1521.mp4 video by mpopiel - Photobucket[/ame]

Sucks about the eye. But the truck is comming along nicely.

I had to take the extension part (elbow) of the ford hydroboost fitting and the hose to the hydraulic shop and had them make me a custom hose, cost about $50.00. I am sure they could just add an end to it for you.

Sucks about the eye. But the truck is comming along nicely.

I had to take the extension part (elbow) of the ford hydroboost fitting and the hose to the hydraulic shop and had them make me a custom hose, cost about $50.00. I am sure they could just add an end to it for you.

Thanks Jakob! Yeah as of right now I had flared the dodge end onto the ford line and the flare worked good its just leaking out the back of the dodge fitting. I dunno if its cracked or wore out or what. I went to a custom hose place here and he said he can make me a nice line so I think thats gonna be the best route.

Well I finally went took the truck for the first test drive yesterday!

Got back to Ohio and put a new ps/vacuum pump and new hydroboost line and fired it up and no more leak. So I topped off the tranny fluid and tcase fluid and made sure the truck moved back and forth, then took it out on the road.

Unfortunately the test drive didnt go the best though. Engine is good, holds 40psi oil pressure at idle and 75 under load, Coolant sits at 180 degrees. The downside is that the tranny is in limp mode stuck in 3rd gear. I can do manual 2nd but thats it. Obviously something is either not right in the wiring or the whole idea of using the dodge PCM has crashed and burned. Thats todays project. So I didnt get to really see what the truck can do, but I definitely need to bump the idle up some so it stops stalling out when I come to a stop. Its a little too smokey for my liking right now but does clean up to a slight haze at 35 psi which is all I can hit right now. Defintely going to have to do some pump tuning.

NO NO NO! not what i wanted to hear bout the trans matt!! especially as i should be making this venture on sunday or the following week. there has to be a way to make it work.
whats your plan now as far as the trans goes?

NO NO NO! not what i wanted to hear bout the trans matt!! especially as i should be making this venture on sunday or the following week. there has to be a way to make it work.
whats your plan now as far as the trans goes?

The plan as far as right now is to verify Im getting power everywhere that I need. then put a scope on each sensor to verify they are working properly as well and then go from there.

First test for movement and seeing if the powersteering works, Jason got the honors of being in the drivers seat for the first test:
[ame="http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/mpopiel/03%20King%20ranch/?action=view&current=IMG_0026.mp4"]03 King ranch :: IMG_0026.mp4 video by mpopiel - Photobucket[/ame]

Coming back from the 2nd test drive, you can hear the engine kinda bog down when I turn since its in second and the idle needs to be raised:
[ame="http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/hh213/mpopiel/03%20King%20ranch/?action=view&current=IMG_0036.mp4"]03 King ranch :: IMG_0036.mp4 video by mpopiel - Photobucket[/ame]

OK... I'm a couple steps behind you, hopefully gonna start mine up soon. Couple questions though -

How did you wire the fuel shutoff solenoid? A couple guys were telling me I could just use a starter solenoid, but I wasn't sure.

Do you have a part number or thread size/specs for the turbo oil supply line?

Are you planning on only running one battery, or is that just for testing?

Looks like you didn't use the stock ford overflow canister - that small one is enough?

I've got my laundry list i'm trying to go through to get this thing going, but it seems like it never ends...

Back