Swole's Carnage AGAIN!!!!

Thank you SO much Chris.!

I pulled it apart yesterday and it's not quite as bad as I thought....I sent the head to the machine shop to see if it can be used..It had quite a life! I hope I can use it!!

Either way man, I will owe you!! Thanks again for everything and it was Great to meet you!! I'll keep ya posted!!

David

That's good it wasn't near as bad...but it was still worse than I was told. I got taken pretty good.

I'm sure we'll see each other down the road again!
Glad to help,
Chris

Still waiting on my repaired turbos from E.D. Thank you Glenn and RonA!!!

My ecm, fuel lines , & dual fuel controller are still at PPE..... Here is the news on what they found. They tested the contoller and said it Did NOT test out to spec and likely may have contibuted to my failure. They are replacing it under warrany. BUT here is the part that has me a bit miffed. They are Not replacing my fuel line and T fitting that blew apart!! They said it looked "over torqued"... Well of course it did after Jeff tried to tighten it back down while I was stuck at the end of the track. The threads were pulled out, so of course if jacked them up to try and retighten. We were just trying to get it cranked to move off the track. This was before we knew how ba the engine was. He was just trying to get me back to the pit area. OH Well!! They are charging me $125+ for the line and T fitting...
They've still got my ecm and are supposed to flash it for me to make sure it's clean.

My bent push tube is being replace/ upgraded to the larger ones from Hamilton... Waiting on them. Thanks Zach

Don's got my Injectors... Says they tested perfect and is going to look at the tips too by removing them and inspecting.... Just waiting on the return.
Thank you Don / April

I will still need to round up some 03/04 tips though, as I am still planning on using the 03/04 pistons..... Thank you Signature600, Toolman, boosteddiesel, & Dudge for helping me with pistons and cyl. head.

The head from the 03 motor I got from Sig.600 is at the machine shop. Waiting to here if it is usable and workable. If so, it'll be decked , valvejob, and oversize seats. Not going back with O-rings to save money. Hoping my studs and a MLS will hold.

Still gotta get all the melted aluminum and ceramic crap out of my exhaust manifold. Was told muriatic acid is the the key. May try to do that tmrw.

SO, with a possible clue from ppe about why I had a pressure spike and possible cause of the failure, I guess it helps to know. Just sucks that a Very expensive motor may have been ruined from a part that had less than 6-7k miles on it. And getting charged for the line just Sux!

Thats where I stand for now.

Last edited:
Interesting news on the fuel controller. Were the pistons I sent usable? I hope they helped you out a little bit. I talked to Jeff the other day while he was finishing up my injectors. "Yea man, I'm finishing those rascals up right now. If you'll hang on a second, I'll let you know how the last one turns out. The 5 before this were perfect though. *short pause* Damn buddy! You got some bad timing!" "Bad timing?", I replied. "Yeah...this injector is junk. Sorry buddy" So I gotta round a couple others up and send them down to him. I was hoping to get mine on the road by TS, but I don't know if it's gonna happen or not.

F PPE, i had a chitty issue with them this past summer. Their customer service blows.! Glad to hear everything is somewhat workin out for ya.

Interesting news on the fuel controller. Were the pistons I sent usable? I hope they helped you out a little bit. I talked to Jeff the other day while he was finishing up my injectors. "Yea man, I'm finishing those rascals up right now. If you'll hang on a second, I'll let you know how the last one turns out. The 5 before this were perfect though. *short pause* Damn buddy! You got some bad timing!" "Bad timing?", I replied. "Yeah...this injector is junk. Sorry buddy" So I gotta round a couple others up and send them down to him. I was hoping to get mine on the road by TS, but I don't know if it's gonna happen or not.

Yeah they looked good....Gotta get the other cleaned up and pick out the 6 best ones of the bunch....they were a couple I think I can use from the used motor I got.....

If I have any good ones left over, I'll gladly send them back to whom ever donated that may need them.....I'm going down tmrw. to see which are usable.

Sorry about the bad injector dude....If I had one to give, I would...
At least you know though.....

David

Yea, I got 7 others here though, surely there's one good one in the bunch. Even if I can't bring my truck, I'm still gonna try to make it to TS. No problem on piston return...Coors Light will do! Lol

sounds good David- now my problems (no as bad as yours)

at the track tonight... looking to get kicked out for going to fast (added the 220's-- they run real nice)

first pass- the truck bogs at 3/4 track - fuel cut (same as last year... 3,000 mile Fass is FAILING again!!!!!) made 2 other passes and 1 of them at only 3/4 throttle and pump is still not keeping up!

then i have a slight leak on the top dmax pump so by the time i get home the left side of the engine is dripping from a diesel bath

sounds good David- now my problems (no as bad as yours)

at the track tonight... looking to get kicked out for going to fast (added the 220's-- they run real nice)

first pass- the truck bogs at 3/4 track - fuel cut (same as last year... 3,000 mile Fass is FAILING again!!!!!) made 2 other passes and 1 of them at only 3/4 throttle and pump is still not keeping up!

then i have a slight leak on the top dmax pump so by the time i get home the left side of the engine is dripping from a diesel bath

Dang! That Sux!! I'd love to know How much quicker/faster you'd have been on the 220's....

Oh well, like you said though...That's I problem I'd LOVE to have over the alternative!! lol

My FASS has always done well by me....and it's only a 95gph pump....Hard to believe that it made as much HP as it did!!

OH!!!

I forgot to add to my list of things above...

Todd at TCDiese modded up a rail and a RV for me....It's here and waiting to go on...

Thank you Todd!!!

Dave if you fail at cleaning the exhaust Manifold, send it here We have the chemicals and the downstream injection system to clean it.after we are done with it you will need to coat it,or live with Brown.

My bent push tube is being replace/ upgraded to the larger ones from Hamilton... Waiting on them. Thanks Zach

Do you really think you need larger/stronger push rods??? The springs that are generally used in diesel applications are relatively light (compared to the stuff used in the gas world). If Cromemoly push rods are used it will put that stress somewhere else in the valve train. Think about it, if you had those in there last time some additional valve train damage might have happened. If the push rods held strong then the valves go smacked around it could bend the valves and/or rockers or bridges...

I'm just saying that push rods are a relatively inexpensive piece to bend, if you make them stronger something more expensive is likely to bend next...

Just my 2 cents...

Do you really think you need larger/stronger push rods??? The springs that are generally used in diesel applications are relatively light (compared to the stuff used in the gas world). If Cromemoly push rods are used it will put that stress somewhere else in the valve train. Think about it, if you had those in there last time some additional valve train damage might have happened. If the push rods held strong then the valves go smacked around it could bend the valves and/or rockers or bridges...

I'm just saying that push rods are a relatively inexpensive piece to bend, if you make them stronger something more expensive is likely to bend next...

Just my 2 cents...

they're probably not totally necessary but, many of us are running a higher spring load than stock and pushing a lot more boost than stock. I went with larger exhaust rods to help ease the load on the flimsy stock rods. The intake sides are billet too but, the same size as stock.

You're right those, the stiffer rods can cause issues elsewhere.

they're probably not totally necessary but, many of us are running a higher spring load than stock and pushing a lot more boost than stock. I went with larger exhaust rods to help ease the load on the flimsy stock rods. The intake sides are billet too but, the same size as stock.

You're right those, the stiffer rods can cause issues elsewhere.

Ty, the springs that I have seen for "performance" applications are still pretty weak compared to what is used in the Gas world... I'm still not convinced that the billet push rods are necessary in 90% of the Cummins applications and like you said, the other issues might be worse than a bent pushrod...$.02

Back