The demise of 2.6?

I realize this is PPL and high level pulling we're talking. But for the smaller clubs that are following PPL rules, will means you have to run a BFG no matter what. What if a guy comes in with something less aggressive. The tech officials need to have the hair to turn away the mud tires.

Ok then, "All trucks must run a General Grabber AT2 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire will result in disqualification.""

If General only wants their tires run, then they should pay up.

Yeah, they are paying me, or giving me the tires, or I'll buy what I want and feel is best value... Lol

I'm really not arguing that there need to be a tire rule. All I'm saying is along the lines of the 2.6 class, saying odl is no advantage, I completely disagree 100%.

And saying well eom driveline can still run mud tires, is like me saying well then take that turbo off that made over 1300hp and you wouldn't need odl?

If you think there are not trucks in the Midwest running 6 mud tires on oem driveline, you would be wrong.

Yeah, they are paying me, or giving me the tires, or I'll buy what I want and feel is best value... Lol

If you think there are not trucks in the Midwest running 6 mud tires on oem driveline, you would be wrong.

I'm not saying there aren't guys running an OEM drivelines with mud tires. But how often are they replacing R/P? Every pull? Every other pull?

This is what I am saying about pullers looking out for just themselves and not the class as a whole. There needs to be compromises. If you want ODL, then agree on a tire rule. Because nobody obviously wants to give up their turbo. Something has to give here guys.

I said it once and I'll say it again, I have no irons in the fire and this forum isnt going to convince PPL or any other pulling association which way to head 2.6. Being a fellow puller I enjoy the 2.6 class, take a step back a minute and make rules that make sense and that will stand for more than one year. Don't just make a rule allowing ODL think about more than just that. Don't let the ODL rule go like the turbo rule has.

I've said enough on this thread. I think I'm done.

I'm not saying there aren't guys running an OEM drivelines with mud tires. But how often are they replacing R/P? Every pull? Every other pull?

This is what I am saying about pullers looking out for just themselves and not the class as a whole. There needs to be compromises. If you want ODL, then agree on a tire rule. Because nobody obviously wants to give up their turbo. Something has to give here guys.

I said it once and I'll say it again, I have no irons in the fire and this forum isnt going to convince PPL or any other pulling association which way to head 2.6. Being a fellow puller I enjoy the 2.6 class, take a step back a minute and make rules that make sense and that will stand for more than one year. Don't just make a rule allowing ODL think about more than just that. Don't let the ODL rule go like the turbo rule has.

:clap:

This was was my whole point of this thread. To step back and think about the the class and its future.:clap: well said

If PPL and all these clubs that run their rules adopt open DL, what about the fact that the aftermarket can't supply enough to meet the huge demand? I don't have a dog in the fight at all I'm just curious how you all will handle it. Because it seems likely a lot of people are going to be stuck with their current drive line because they're waiting for parts through next season. And we know the guy who was first in line and got parts is going to have a huge advantage when he never breaks but everyone else still does...

I've kept up on this thread for a while now and my question is, how many of you will or can spend the money to go ODL? And how many of you will just hang it up? Im just a pee on 2.5 guy who's most likely going to change gears and stay in 2.5 when it goes smooth bore. I can't afford to make the jump and be competitive, but maybe it's just me and im poor lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On edit I know it's not a mint to go ODL really, but I know a few guys that aren't really top trucks so to say that will probably just sell out to avoid a divorce lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor I have been hearing is 2.6 is going ODL, and turbo is going to 3.0 smooth bore. 3.0 is going cut tires and 3.8 or 4.1 smooth bore. That would leave power close and give a difference between the classes still. Also 3.0 (now 3.8-4.1) still has water injection and gutted cabs, floors etc.

It was posted on the other thread here and I have heard it from a couple other people that 2.6 will be 3.0 smooth, ODL, and one source said 158" wheelbase also?

Sounds like 3.0 class will become 3.6 smooth.

Now the real dilemma is what are we going to call the 2.6 class.... :lolly:

Just a thought....Pullers are the show. Promoters try to bring a show. If we as pullers don't show promoters don't hold the cards. Its you money. How you want to spend it should be your choice not a promoters. The rules suggested above require every 2.6 truck to spend their hard earned on having a smooth bore 3.0 turbo. Since it is smooth bore EVERY turbo will need work. Besides this cost, EVERY 2.6 puller will have to make a choice to go with what works and breaks or spend more and have a season of hit and miss with new gearing and a drop box. Either way it sounds like $$$. Why are we letting someone else tell you how to spend your money?

solution..
2.5 Limited
Unlimited single ODL DOT tires
Super MOD Cut tires :welcome:

$.02 Wheres my Tylenol My head hurts...

Just a thought....Pullers are the show. Promoters try to bring a show. If we as pullers don't show promoters don't hold the cards. Its you money. How you want to spend it should be your choice not a promoters. The rules suggested above require every 2.6 truck to spend their hard earned on having a smooth bore 3.0 turbo. Since it is smooth bore EVERY turbo will need work. Besides this cost, EVERY 2.6 puller will have to make a choice to go with what works and breaks or spend more and have a season of hit and miss with new gearing and a drop box. Either way it sounds like $$$. Why are we letting someone else tell you how to spend your money?

If the promoter brings in PPL then more people are likely to attend and the pullers who run with PPL has the money to spend , now the local guys who pull with the little organizations through out a state may not like it , don't just blame PPL if you don't like them don't pull with them . The people I see post on these topics are mostly just county pullers and don't travel the circuit and if you think spending money on ODL is high ask the guys in PPL how much they spend on R/P and Xcases and BTW some of the top PPL 2.6 trucks run a pro fab 5 speed around 4500+ so going ODL is just a drop in the bucket

Many places you don't have a choice but to pull with ppl as they have tried to take over as many pulls as possible. If you ask a couple of the top 2.6 guys how much they spent some on driveline parts you might be suprised how much they haven't spent.

Last edited:
Back