The demise of 2.6?

I have no problem moving up, but what you forget as a puller, I am also a PPL promoter so when I drop the 2.6 class that is one less hook the 2.6 class has and along with any pulls we help promote. This is not the intention but why would we put on a regional event and not be able to pull in it?

Since you are a promoter, you may want to consider the following since you are all for open drive line.

Open rear seems like a good compromise, allowing open drive line is asking for trouble. I don't care to think about how much complaining there would be if a 3.8" truck changed turbos and won 3.0" at an event where they competed in both classes.

Since you are a promoter, you may want to consider the following since you are all for open drive line.

If I could get my damn photobucket to work I have multiple pictures of blocks with holes in them, grenaded 271s and split slip yokes that were not caused by rear end failures. I know of at least 4 engines that came apart that year in our small 2.8 class. Yes they are "cheap" built engines but they have been holding up just fine in a ODL class.

I'm not saying I like ODL 2.6 either but I PROMISE open rear ends are not the fix all. Especially when these open rear end trucks will come out sporting 6 nittos or 6 crushers.

Guy like spend cash ... I hearing 3" smooth bore and open driveline ... As for current 3.0 class I don't know ... Sounds like 2.6 and 3.0 will combine ... $$$$$$$$$$$$

This is coming from a guy that doesn't has never owned a 2.6, so take this with a grain of salt....

Why not limit the rules to an HX60/ S400 frame turbo and allow ODL. And by ODL I mean rear ends and front ends. A factory 1 ton trans and transfer case is still required. It'll limit the power and allow for an indestructible driveline.

It's been a few years since I saw any 3.0s pull compared to 2.6. I went to a pull a few weeks ago where they had both 3.0 and 2.6 and there was a clear difference in the classes. The crowd will not know the difference in the driveline. I like specifying a certain tire to run, too.

In the end PPL will do as they wish and the rest of the country will have to deal with it. It's just to bad there can't be a standardized set of rules across the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is coming from a guy that doesn't has never owned a 2.6, so take this with a grain of salt....

Why not limit the rules to an HX60/ S400 frame turbo and allow ODL. And by ODL I mean rear ends and front ends. A factory 1 ton trans and transfer case is still required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm all for a frame limit but the transfercases WILL NOT live. We grenaded 3 271s in one year with a bushed 2.8 at 1180hp with a sqhd rear. The last time the motor finally grenaded

Ok so wants your point? We get more trucks in the class which means more spectators coming to watch the show, which equals more revenue. Just saying as a promoter it's a win.

As a puller, bring them on. I will run against the "stepping down" the trucks. You will not hear me complain or back down.

Again I gave you an invite to put your charger, on my motor on the dyno, who's backing down?

He has plenty of dyno time testing his against all the big names. Im sure he has more then enough info on the subject.

We get more trucks in the class which means more spectators coming to watch the show, which equals more revenue. Just saying as a promoter it's a win.

Maybe it's a win as a promoter.

As a puller, bring them on. I will run against the "stepping down" trucks. You will not hear me complain or back down.

I understand some are willing to compete against a truck that steps down, but do you not think others may have an issue with this?

Again I gave you an invite to put your charger, on my motor on the dyno, who's backing down?

I will have to kindly decline that offer, our results are well proven.

I'm all for a frame limit but the transfercases WILL NOT live. We grenaded 3 271s in one year with a bushed 2.8 at 1180hp with a sqhd rear. The last time the motor finally grenaded

Interested to know what the failure mode was. Internal parts? Case fractures? Or Yes to all?

Interested to know what the failure mode was. Internal parts? Case fractures? Or Yes to all?

Hard for me to say. In all instances the chain was broke. 2 out of the 3 we broke that year split both front and back cases. One the front side was still in tack. No shafts were broken. We also blew a 1480 slip into, it actually split in half on the splines the u joint was still good. The last case we had that grenaded had a brand new chain installed and it broke half track.

All this was done on bfg tires

I don't know what the right answer is, but if you are going to open up the rear I feel you need to go full ODL. The whole reason a change is needed is to eliminate driveline failures. What would we gain if we just shift broken rearends to broken transfer cases?

That's what I've been thinking too. Since we Allready have the comp wheels cut for 2.6 protrusion, all that would need changed is the cover. Seems like a pretty simple and cheap way to dial back the hp.

Won't work, too heavy of Compressor and turbine wheels to get by with a cover change...will lose huge power... Will need to go to a superfarm 3" turbine wheel to be able to drive a 2.6" smooth bore wheel fast enough to make big power.... I think 3.0 smooth bore will lose power over current cheater 2.6 covers... Best 3x3 smooth bore I know of is over 1300hp, but a little ways from 1400... And that's on a 640 ci engine driving charger over 100psi not intercooled though...

3" turbine would make it fall under ... I have helped on few super farms full weighted clutch will allow slip rather fall under .. That's 600+ ci engine on most tractors ...Most 2.6 are well over 3.6" turbine ...

Last edited:
I'm not sure whose superfarms you've worked on, but a good ppl motor will pull well under 2000 rpm. Hell I've got a non intercooled 466 on the dyno now that we're pulling to 2500 rpm with a 3x3 smooth bore. it's making as much power as some of the best 2.6 motors we've run and a lot more torque.

Back