The demise of 2.6?

Until the manufacturers fix the material issues with the gearsets nothing we do will fix the issue. My 2.5 customers making 300hp less and 24in hitch are still replacing Gears much to frequently (less than 10 hooks for most)

Why would they? They're making money off the carnage.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

What happens when before the banquet 3.0 smooth bore turbos are dynoed by the big shops and power is way down? All happening before the final rules are in place!!

Until the manufacturers fix the material issues with the gearsets nothing we do will fix the issue. My 2.5 customers making 300hp less and 24in hitch are still replacing Gears much to frequently (less than 10 hooks for most)

It's not the gears, it's the sled pulling that's the problem. They sell zillions of r&p's and I would say it's a small amount that's bought by sled pullers.

Since there's a bunch of knowledgeable people in this thread, if money were no object would it be possible to manufacture a gear set that is "indestructible"? Is there a material in the world that would be strong enough if cost was no option?

What happens when before the banquet 3.0 smooth bore turbos are dynoed by the big shops and power is way down? All happening before the final rules are in place!!

They change it to 3.2 or 3.4 then by the time this spring rolls around they have some tricks wheels, Different turbine, housing options that make 1500+

Outlaws made a good point there. How does opening up the drive line allow for more power? I realize that there are "cheater" turbos out there, but if the turbo rules were followed how would the open drive line effect power levels? (This is an honest question, not trying to sound condescending.)

"We have determined that the open driveline rule will not be a competitive advantage except in the breakage department."

I realize to keep 3.0 and 2.6 alive the attempt is to keep their power drastically different so to the spectator they appear like a different group of trucks. But can't the 3.0 trucks keep improving their technologies along with the 2.6 technologies to keep the classes separate and eliminate the breakage?

It's not the gears, it's the sled pulling that's the problem. They sell zillions of r&p's and I would say it's a small amount that's bought by sled pullers.

Since there's a bunch of knowledgeable people in this thread, if money were no object would it be possible to manufacture a gear set that is "indestructible"? Is there a material in the world that would be strong enough if cost was no option?

Manufacture has changed as well as process. They are sub par quality from what had been found out.

Outlaws made a good point there. How does opening up the drive line allow for more power? I realize that there are "cheater" turbos out there, but if the turbo rules were followed how would the open drive line effect power levels? (This is an honest question, not trying to sound condescending.)

"We have determined that the open driveline rule will not be a competitive advantage except in the breakage department."

I realize to keep 3.0 and 2.6 alive the attempt is to keep their power drastically different so to the spectator they appear like a different group of trucks. But can't the 3.0 trucks keep improving their technologies along with the 2.6 technologies to keep the classes separate and eliminate the breakage?

Six nitto mud grapplers hook quite a bit better than most the other bfgs or ats. All the odl trucks WILL have mud tires all the way around where this year with d80 rears still most ended up with mud tires on front and ats on the back. The guys running oem drive train and ats will had a distinct disadvantage to ODL mud tire trucks.

We tried running ats most of the year this year. Swapped to nittos to try and I'm a FIRM beliver the mud tires do quite a bit better.

Six nitto mud grapplers hook quite a bit better than most the other bfgs or ats. All the odl trucks WILL have mud tires all the way around where this year with d80 rears still most ended up with mud tires on front and ats on the back. The guys running oem drive train and ats will had a distinct disadvantage to ODL mud tire trucks.

We tried running ats most of the year this year. Swapped to nittos to try and I'm a FIRM beliver the mud tires do quite a bit better.

I'm sure they do. Mud tires are made for getting ahold of loose surfaces and cleaning the lugs out. Before last season, I had heard that PPL was going to outlaw mud tires, or as I heard it "tires with lugs on the side wall."

Why not make an ODL rule and ATS are the only tires allowed? Allows guys to run ODL and keep it together and allows the guys who do not want to go ODL to be competitive.

I'm sure they do. Mud tires are made for getting ahold of loose surfaces and cleaning the lugs out. Before last season, I had heard that PPL was going to outlaw mud tires, or as I heard it "tires with lugs on the side wall."

Why not make an ODL rule and ATS are the only tires allowed? Allows guys to run ODL and keep it together and allows the guys who do not want to go ODL to be competitive.

The tires won't be the only advantage of a full open driveline. With less chance of breaking the driveline they will gear them faster and be faster. I guess we will find out in a year.

That would be "fair" in my opinion. But im.sure people would fuss lol

I think I said in the 3.0 thread people argue and say odl is no advantage. I say that's fine. Odl has to run at tires and see how quick they are to fuss about that rule of odl realy isn't a "true" advantage

The tires won't be the only advantage of a full open driveline. With less chance of breaking the driveline they will gear them faster and be faster. I guess we will find out in a year.

Here in lies the problem with pulling and pullers at all levels. Nobody wants to give in to any rule changes. Guys that want to go bigger don't want to limit them selves and guys that want to stay where they are at don't want to have to get bigger.

Everyone is looking out for themselves and not the class. Make rules that are for the good of the class, not for just your truck.

That would be "fair" in my opinion. But im.sure people would fuss lol

I think I said in the 3.0 thread people argue and say odl is no advantage. I say that's fine. Odl has to run at tires and see how quick they are to fuss about that rule of odl realy isn't a "true" advantage

Forget about breakage for a second. If pullers were required to use a certain kind of tire, like ATs, that could be run on an OEM driveline and ODL, I could argue ODL being a disadvantage, what does a Rockwell weigh compared to a D80 or a D60?...

Gear selection is something realy interesting to me. 3 years ago with less power we were running alot faster gear than we are now. More power, trying to get truck to hook harder every week, we've slowed gearing back down a lot.

Forget about breakage for a second. If pullers were required to use a certain kind of tire, like ATs, that could be run on an OEM driveline and ODL, I could argue ODL being a disadvantage, what does a Rockwell weigh compared to a D80 or a D60?...

I could go for a all terrain tire rule.... as far as weight.... for $$$$$I've seen alum fabed housing sqhd with alum hog head and chormoly tubes really narrow with gun drilled axles and alum hubs. I believe it was quite a bit lighter than a d80. Just depends on how far somebody is willing to raise the bar. Me myself I think you can have too much weight out front.

I know PPL wanted to have general tire supply tires for the truck classes but general couldn't guarantee enough tires. An all terrain rule would be interesting but wording it might be a challenge?

I know PPL wanted to have general tire supply tires for the truck classes but general couldn't guarantee enough tires. An all terrain rule would be interesting but wording it might be a challenge?

How so?

"All trucks must run a BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire may result in disqualification."

How so?

"All trucks must run a BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire may result in disqualification."

All trucks must run a BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire WILL result in disqualification

Lol

All trucks must run a BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire WILL result in disqualification

Lol

I realize this is PPL and high level pulling we're talking. But for the smaller clubs that are following PPL rules, will means you have to run a BFG no matter what. What if a guy comes in with something less aggressive. The tech officials need to have the hair to turn away the mud tires.

I bet they would lose the General Tire sponsor money if the rule read like that!

Ok then, "All trucks must run a General Grabber AT2 or BF Goodrich All-Terrain KO2 tire of any size diameter and width. Any other tire will result in disqualification.""

If General only wants their tires run, then they should pay up.

Back