Triple turbos.....Lets discuss.

John Robinson

I am looking to build a set of triples for a project. Im planning at a divorced exhaust manifold setup that will have 2 small secondarys going to the primary. Target hp is 1000 hp . Instant spoolup is what we are looking for & we will still run an intercooler.
What chargers do yall think i should run? I am not a turbo engineer . I figured i would throw it out to the big brains on here & see what would come of it. Here are some pics of a setup that i think look really clean & easy

Attachments

• Triple%20Turbos.jpg
    Triple%20Turbos.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 241
  • GetAttachment1.jpg
    GetAttachment1.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 235
  • GetAttachment3.jpg
    GetAttachment3.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 212
  • GetAttachment4.jpg
    GetAttachment4.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 157
looks like you using two small chargers as the small primary chargers and one big charger as the atmosphere charger. This still causes you to have to get on top of the big charger .
The advantage of using a triply charger deal is to have three small chargers with the one primary charger and two atmosphere chargers . The two smaller chargers will more as much air as one big chargers and have considerable less mass in relation to their capacity .
Shane at Industrial injection and I discussed this and he did his home work with with Borg Warner a while back, and the consensus would be to run a small S300 such as a 64 and then two other 64, as the atmosphere chargers , the key to this would be extensive wastegate control . This would be to quickly redirect the exuast gas flow around the primary charger as quick as it got to a sweet spot on its map .

Here are ones that Greg at ZZ designed and built a few years back.

4bt_project08_07.gif

4bt_project08_08.gif

4bt_project08_11.gif

4bt_project08_10.gif

Run three 62mm VGT turbos off of a third gen Dodge. That would be some spoolup right there. Some guys on 2nd and 1st gens are running them with either a spring attached to control the vanes, or a wastegate actuator, converting those pesky electronic controls to mechanical ones. Ought to be right up your alley John!

I also actually agree with Greg on the setup of things....use one on the manifold as the primary, and two as secondaries.

John, Ive researched this pretty well. From the best I can gather you want the opposite of that setup. 1 secondary, 2 primaries.

Better spool up, broader power band, ect...

There is plenty of knowledge on this though, tractors have been doing it for years.

looks like you using two small chargers as the small primary chargers and one big charger as the atmosphere charger. This still causes you to have to get on top of the big charger .
The advantage of using a triply charger deal is to have three small chargers with the one primary charger and two atmosphere chargers . The two smaller chargers will more as much air as one big chargers and have considerable less mass in relation to their capacity .
Shane at Industrial injection and I discussed this and he did his home work with with Borg Warner a while back, and the consensus would be to run a small S300 such as a 64 and then two other 64, as the atmosphere chargers , the key to this would be extensive wastegate control . This would be to quickly redirect the exuast gas flow around the primary charger as quick as it got to a sweet spot on its map

1 - S364 and 2 - s465's?

Or would you want to build all s300 chargers?

I am looking to build a set of triples for a project. Im planning at a divorced exhaust manifold setup that will have 2 small secondarys going to the primary. Target hp is 1000 hp . Instant spoolup is what we are looking for & we will still run an intercooler.
What chargers do yall think i should run? I am not a turbo engineer . I figured i would throw it out to the big brains on here & see what would come of it. Here are some pics of a setup that i think look really clean & easy

Don't think you would like those John but if you had two atmosphere turbo blowing into a decent sized manifold turbo it would kick butt.

I was and am still thinking along these lines, was trying to gather a little more info about it but it seems as though I'm not important enough.

Jim

Check my triples thread.

The sizing seems to depend alot on the build.

Im still trying to understand the the math needed to do this.

Might want to try talking to Keating, I've heard he's pretty good with turbos ;) Or WOP.

Run three 62mm VGT turbos off of a third gen Dodge. That would be some spoolup right there. Some guys on 2nd and 1st gens are running them with either a spring attached to control the vanes, or a wastegate actuator, converting those pesky electronic controls to mechanical ones. Ought to be right up your alley John!

we are ready have a controller for the 6.7 VGT set up , it will regulate the turbo on as many as 4 different parameters, boost , drive pressure , EGT, and turbine speed .

Check my triples thread.

The sizing seems to depend alot on the build.

Im still trying to understand the the math needed to do this.

Ok, just read it Roachie.....Good stuff in there. It looks like i was headed the wrong way for sure. Thanks. I wish i could see scheids set up close. Anybody got some good pics of it?

With today’s advanced airflow consisting of advanced head and cam programs , there is no need for high boost numbers, even on a Cummins. Done right a Cummins ported head will flow upwards of 300 cfm with 1.450 intake valves , and the Dmax’s heads like on the NX mustang and Project Z28 are close to that and with the added advantage of 2 more cylinders 1000 + HP is achievable with around 40 psi or less .
I can see this setup for a good running street machine with a 6.7 VGT as a primary , and 2 stock early CR turbot’s .
But in drag racing where the latest break thru’s in electronics will aid the ability to spool big efficient chargers , especially with the rapid alternation of timing maps on spool up .
I watched as John Boy did his magic on the NX ,Mustang this past drag week , and it was amazing how quick it got up on the silver 71.5 mm industrial injection turbo. I’ve seen a lot of people struggle with that big of a turbo, this was instantaneous

Back