Triple turbos.....Lets discuss.

John this is my truck I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

How is the oiling system worked out?
3 feeds have any affect on pressure? or are you using some type of restrictor?

Also the drains. Where does the 3rd one go?
thanks.

Thought the idea of manifold charger was to get air moving sooner and easier, hence smaller, but you can't be to small as to not create a bottleneck.

I wonder how well having 3 VGT turbo's some how mangled under the hood would do for spool? Would you all think 10psi at (just off) idle out of turbos being all that hard with 3 VGT's? who needs a turbo/super charger combo with that!

That would be enough turbo to make 1200hp, and maybe 500+ just off idle! Imagine that power band with heaps of boost at 1000rpm.

Im working on that now, except I don't expect these to spool till 2000 at best.

500hp at say.... 1000rpm is 2626ft/lbs of torque....

Might want to run this idea past your connecting rods and block for a quick sec before you get too excited about it. Did I mention input shaft, flexplate, crankshaft?

500 hp at 1000 rpm is not gonna happen in our little 5.9!

i have a 60mm vgt turbo on two of my trucks, and they make power right from 1500 rpm (15 psi) at 2000 rpm they are close to 40 psi , at lower elevation they would spool a bit earlier, but with triples, they oughta be slower than a single of that size.
IMO

Since reading these triple turbo threads, i was thinking two he341 feeding my he351ve, the big housing on the vgt could act like a wastegate.
Of course this wouldnt be an all out race set, but i imagine it would spool great and be a really driveble daily driver at this high elevation, and the turbos by themselfes arent very big to fit under the hood!

anyone know if two he341's atmosphere chargers would spool faster than a s400 or so?

i have a 60mm vgt turbo on two of my trucks, and they make power right from 1500 rpm (15 psi) at 2000 rpm they are close to 40 psi , at lower elevation they would spool a bit earlier, but with triples, they oughta be slower than a single of that size.
IMO

Since reading these triple turbo threads, i was thinking two he341 feeding my he351ve, the big housing on the vgt could act like a wastegate.
Of course this wouldnt be an all out race set, but i imagine it would spool great and be a really driveble daily driver at this high elevation, and the turbos by themselfes arent very big to fit under the hood!

anyone know if two he341's atmosphere chargers would spool faster than a s400 or so?

My triples spool way faster than my single did it was a 66/86.

IMO

I think you missed the intent of my post. I was poking fun at the idea of 500hp right off idle.

And aside from that, if it could be done I wouldn't choose to because it would be murder on everything. I purposefully withold around 100hp until just over 3000rpm for the sole purpose of keeping stress down.

I think you missed the intent of my post. I was poking fun at the idea of 500hp right off idle.

And aside from that, if it could be done I wouldn't choose to because it would be murder on everything. I purposefully withold around 100hp until just over 3000rpm for the sole purpose of keeping stress down.

Could be..

I know it is like that, but why is there less stress on the components at higher rpm??

BTW i thought the little he341 turbos would be really cheap since nobody seems to put them on, most only take them off, i spent about an hour searching through the classifieds and seems like they have almost the same price the he351 do..

and do two small chargers spool sooner than one big one, twice the size?

Could be..

I know it is like that, but why is there less stress on the components at higher rpm??

Inertia. The quicker you try to move/turn an object from its current state the harder it is on it.

Not really. two small chargers each get only 1/2 the drive pressure of the one large one.

Could be..

BTW i thought the little he341 turbos would be really cheap since nobody seems to put them on, most only take them off, i spent about an hour searching through the classifieds and seems like they have almost the same price the he351 do..

Torque is really just BMEP for any given stroke/bore. So you have to increase BMEP to make more torque. And the higher that gets the higher the forces are on headbolts, headgaskets, heads, rods, pistons, pin bushings, bearings, blocks, so on and so forth. And the higher the torque the greater the stress on the rest of the driveline right up to the axleshafts.

500hp at 1000rpm is 2626ft/lbs of torque. No bueno. However, 500hp at 2800rpm is only 937ft/lbs.

And that's a helluva lot better on everything. Yet the crazy thing is that for any given ground speed both of those situations would put the exact same amount of torque to the ground, so it's not like you're losing output torque by reducing it at the engine, you just choose a gear that puts the truck at 2800rpm instead of 1000. And that gear will be numerically higher, which gives higher torque multiplication directly proportionate to the lower torque the engine was making, ending up with you having the same torque to the ground, but without a broken input shaft and 4 rods hanging out of the block.

by the end of this weekend we may just have 2 Bullseye power S475 with race covers feed 1 Bullseye power S480 with race cover.

Not to mention the oil pressure isn't at it's max until over 1600 in our CR's, so you wouldn't want all that load on the barrings with out proper lube.

BTW folks, my 1000rpm was just for agrument sake. Imagine tho if you could get that much boost like a blower can with some VGT that low that quick. would make for some fun red lights.

here are to 2 Bullseye power S475's we will be starting with. the S480 is already mounted to the manifold.

Attachments

• 1105091320.jpg
    1105091320.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 38
i was toying with the idea of splitting the exaughst before it gets to the big turbo to spool the two small chargers earlyer and then let the exaugst flow into the big charger once the small turbos are spooled.

just a thought...

Back