Triple turbos.....Lets discuss.

John this is my truck I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Triples.jpg

Lighten up Francis, for the discussion at hand, John knows what is being referred to as primary or secondary, or stage one vs. stage two. Not sure how one can lose class in a turbo discussion.:nail: I think you might need to step back from the keyboard man, your over reacting a tad boss.

Seriously? Are you all such pretentious bastards that you cannot have someone note a SERIOUS problem, and offer a SERIOUS solution without losing all class and making light of the issue?

There is nothing "Intellectual" about it. Far from it actually. If people are using the same term to describe TOTALLY OPPOSITE things then you have a BIG problem in a "discussion".

From the FIRST page of this thread:

Examples where the usage denotes "Primary" as the turbo you primarily drive around on...

Yet another with the same notion...

You'll have to excuse my ignorance then, because apparently it is FUKING OBVIOUS that "Primary" means first stage and "Secondary" means second stage..... except that HALF the MF'ers in the thread are discussing this under the EXACT OPPOSITE ASSUMPTION!!!

I can't believe how stupid people get. Using whatever term you want is fine..... EXCEPT when it's NOT intuitive as is PLAINLY the case here being that the term is being used in 100% OPPOSING ways multiple times in this thread. Using those terms is NOT stupid. Denying the fact that they are being misused IS!!! Very much so! I suggested "First Stage" and "Second Stage" because they ARE intuitive, in that the word STAGE makes DIRECT reference to STAGES OF COMPRESSION. And that terminology also happens to be the INDUSTRY STANDARD for describing staged compression...

Have a nice thread.... or two. Being that there are apparenty two threads working at once here. One where Primary means first stage, and one where it means second.....

:smirk:

To the OP, best of luck weeding through the descriptions where you have to read 75% of the post before you know which way they are using those terms... Especially hard for anyone that isn't well-versed in turbocharging in the first place.

I hope you get a good game plan worked out, because I do enjoy watching that thing run down the track (if it's the car you are gathering this info for). Sorry that my intention of setting a level playing field for discussion ended up turning a portion of your thread into a pile of crap because these people don't want to take the time to build a discussion on top of a sound foundation of verbage, but instead just want to keep shooting from the hip with terms that everone constantly mixes up.

Best of Luck to you.

im just finishing a set a s366 being fed by 2 t70,s with 68mm compressors and really tight exhaust housings it all fits under the hood with the bateries and everything i think with some huge external waste gating it wil spool really fast and still flow pretty good

Sweet looking & sounding setup for sure...How fast does it spool?

This setup spools amazingly quick, even in JD's behemoth of a truck! I was with him this weekend when we towed the Wide Open dragster out to the NHRDA event in Idaho. He had cruise control set at 80mph in 6th gear pulling a 6 percent grade and the spedometer stayed put at 80mph, turbos singin, with EGTs never going over 1300 degrees and engine temp just sitting at 200 degrees. It was like the motor wasn't struggling at all...I was VERY impressed! The next set of WOP triples will be going on my truck, I can't wait!

Jared

Not to highjack John's thread but I am doing triples on my truck and Robs this winter, I was thinking of parralles(GT-K on each side) feeding into a big single(Y2K). Turbonetics said they will be very helpful in proper spec and I have a guy here that is very good a specing turbos to any motor. I was just throwing my ideas out to ya'll cuz some of you seem very knowledgeable in this triples discussion. Like John, I would like to be around 1000hp. We are also throwing the idea of 2 vgt's feeding a big single. Are my ideas way out to lunch??

Sorry John for throwing this into your thread. I just figured being about triples we might be able to help out many people thinking of triples weather Cummins, Dmax or Powerstroke.

The way a most are being done is hanging the single off your manifold and having the Big single feed the twins

Don't know how I missed this one earlier - suffice to say ,there's more than one way to skin a cat.

If you guys have some compressor maps you've got to play with, post them up and I'll walk you through how to plot them in a staged configuration.

ok, i was messing around last night and came up with this..... just an idea

TripleTurbo.jpg

two hx35's feeding something like a s400.

ok, i was messing around last night and came up with this..... just an idea

TripleTurbo.jpg

two hx35's feeding something like a s400.

It's the big charger that's tough to spool.

Think it the whole idea of 'compounding' through some more, you're on the right track, just not quite there.

What do we do with Twins, we drive on the manifold charger and let the big one move the large amount of air, I personally would go over a 300 series manifold charger but that is me.

Jim

It's the big charger that's tough to spool.

Think it the whole idea of 'compounding' through some more, you're on the right track, just not quite there.

The parallel first stage is probably going to require two chargers roughly the same size as your second stage charger, as most people are going to be achieving a density ratio of around 2 from first stage to second. Meaning the first stage will need to move twice the air volume of the second. You cannot do that unless you have twice the charger, and two of the same charger is exactly twice the charger, whereas two HX35's would come up short. You might use three of them to feed the second stage. Quads anyone?

:hehe:

Thought the idea of manifold charger was to get air moving sooner and easier, hence smaller, but you can't be to small as to not create a bottleneck.

I wonder how well having 3 VGT turbo's some how mangled under the hood would do for spool? Would you all think 10psi at (just off) idle out of turbos being all that hard with 3 VGT's? who needs a turbo/super charger combo with that!

That would be enough turbo to make 1200hp, and maybe 500+ just off idle! Imagine that power band with heaps of boost at 1000rpm.

Thought the idea of manifold charger was to get air moving sooner and easier, hence smaller, but you can't be to small as to not create a bottleneck.

I wonder how well having 3 VGT turbo's some how mangled under the hood would do for spool? Would you all think 10psi at (just off) idle out of turbos being all that hard with 3 VGT's? who needs a turbo/super charger combo with that!

That would be enough turbo to make 1200hp, and maybe 500+ just off idle! Imagine that power band with heaps of boost at 1000rpm.

500hp at say.... 1000rpm is 2626ft/lbs of torque....

Might want to run this idea past your connecting rods and block for a quick sec before you get too excited about it. Did I mention input shaft, flexplate, crankshaft?

500hp at say.... 1000rpm is 2626ft/lbs of torque....

Might want to run this idea past your connecting rods and block for a quick sec before you get too excited about it. Did I mention input shaft, flexplate, crankshaft?

who said I had a transmission? tho, might need to weld some a-frames on the rods to make them a bt stronger. :poke:

Back