Trying to get my truck not to smoke when taking off, need help.

I've got a set of 131's and 191's I can trade... you can take them and try them first, if you want them just send me yours when you decide... let me know.

I've got a set of 131's and 191's I can trade... you can take them and try them first, if you want them just send me yours when you decide... let me know.
Very tempting, ill try petes 131 and see how I like them. I might take you up on that offer.

Thanks

With 131s in my truck it was a dog, maybe with your benched pump it will better though.

Have you taken your afc apart? Shouldnt have to have the afc spring that tight to reduce Low/no boost fuel. I run 191s, and 7x14s and have no problem controlling smoke with my afc. It smokes less now than it did with a vp and im running a 66/74/14.

Take the afc apart, replace both washers on either side of the diaphram(or grind them smooth) and then try it. My afc housing isnt even all the way back.

Check it on the bench with shop air as well.

the afc spring has nothing to do with zero boost (first pulling out) fuel....nothing, neither does your plate.

if your afc spring was extrememly loose it could be moving too soon

have you taken the afc off and used shop air at different regulated pressure
(simulating boost) to see how the afc arm is reacting?

what was done to the pump, what numbers is it flowing?

With 131s in my truck it was a dog, maybe with your benched pump it will better though.

Have you taken your afc apart? Shouldnt have to have the afc spring that tight to reduce Low/no boost fuel. I run 191s, and 7x14s and have no problem controlling smoke with my afc. It smokes less now than it did with a vp and im running a 66/74/14.

Take the afc apart, replace both washers on either side of the diaphram(or grind them smooth) and then try it. My afc housing isnt even all the way back.

Check it on the bench with shop air as well.
I will do both things this morning.

the afc spring has nothing to do with zero boost (first pulling out) fuel....nothing, neither does your plate.

if your afc spring was extrememly loose it could be moving too soon

have you taken the afc off and used shop air at different regulated pressure
(simulating boost) to see how the afc arm is reacting?

what was done to the pump, what numbers is it flowing?
Pump is suppose to flow 500cc full forward, 350 plate back.
Mack plug
4gsk
Done by goff diesel

The dv's I have are sdx comps, I think.

search the afc thread by smokem, he has very good info on different springs to use in your afc......

to control smoke you dont want your afc to move full forward until close to max boost, but you also dont want it tight enough that it binds

search the afc thread by smokem, he has very good info on different springs to use in your afc......

to control smoke you dont want your afc to move full forward until close to max boost, but you also dont want it tight enough that it binds
I've been reading through that thread. I'm finally getting a better understanding of the afc.

I plan on going to the hardware store today to look for springs.

It won't help you for the weekend, but I have a little fixture and regulator setup that you bolt your plate and afc to for checking. turn it upside down and start slowly bringing up the air pressure and it will show you what the pump is seeing as far as when it moves, how far it moves and if it clears the plate, or coil binds. You'd be welcome to borrow it till you get this sorted out. I probably have some extra spring pieces you could modify on the grinder to play with the pressure.

It won't help you for the weekend, but I have a little fixture and regulator setup that you bolt your plate and afc to for checking. turn it upside down and start slowly bringing up the air pressure and it will show you what the pump is seeing as far as when it moves, how far it moves and if it clears the plate, or coil binds. You'd be welcome to borrow it till you get this sorted out. I probably have some extra spring pieces you could modify on the grinder to play with the pressure.

THIS

i would take advantage of that

Thanks abunch Ron, ill take you up on that offer. Just let me know what you need.

I wish you were a little closer. You could try these 131's and he 024's I have in my pump now.

Ok I just put compressed air to it. It starts moving like 2-5psi and doesn't reach full fuel till 85psi. So I'm guessing this is a stock 160 spring.

I'm suppose to have a 4k gsk, so shouldn't this spring be different?

Should I even bother trying to strecth this spring or just go to the store and look for another?

if its opening that easy a 2-5 psi.....this is why you cant control the smoke

that spring wont work for you

if you tighten it up to start opening around 15 it wont open fully

my tst heavy spring works well for my 60psi setup

if its opening that easy a 2-5 psi.....this is why you cant control the smoke

that spring wont work for you

if you tighten it up to start opening around 15 it wont open fully

my tst heavy spring works well for my 60psi setup
So I need a stiffer, longer spring?

Pm me your address so my wife can take it to town when she leaves. I have the fixture, the regulator, and a couple of afc springs. I think 1 of them may be a bit heavier. Something isn't right if it starts to open at 3-5 and doesn't go full fuel till 85. I would take the spring and diaphram out and make sure the arm travels freely( you can do it while it's on this fixture). When you get it give me a call and I'll explain it if you want. It basicly looks like the top of the pump where the plate and afc bolt on. Install the plate, then the afc, and then turn it upsidedown and hook up the air. remember that with throttle the lever will move forward untill it either hits the afc arm, or the plate. Makes more sense when you hook it up. I noticed the pressure gause is not resting at zero so I will put a new one in the box with it in case you need it. They just screw in(pipe thread).

Back