Trying to get my truck not to smoke when taking off, need help.

my in cab pre boost adjustment makes low end fuel tuning instant and easy......

pre boost screw in cab adjustment - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

and dont dare call it a smoek switch for a 12v..........its a tuning device! thats work very very good

its very surprising the small adjustment to that screw has an instant effect cleaning up smoke and lighting the turbos

Try the GSK, I like it in mine with my 64. Just have to dial in your smoke switch.:lolly:

A lot of the spring rates are Here.

The local hardware store carries a brand called CSC(century spring). The two sizes I've had luck with are 1.0 od .75 id .120 wire, and 1.046 od .815 id .12 wire. I grind the length to about 1.55.

The local hardware store carries a brand called CSC(century spring). The two sizes I've had luck with are 1.0 od .75 id .120 wire, and 1.046 od .815 id .12 wire. I grind the length to about 1.55.
Ok, ill check for that brand tomorrow.

At what psi do I want my foot moving with compressed air?

At what psi do I want my foot moving with compressed air?

i think the proper answer to that is - when it doesnt smoke. every setup is going to be different

set it with the shop air to a solid number like 15 psi, the put on truck and go from their....at least you have a starting point to go from.

dont forget to check the spring setting with your max boost pressure as well to see what your full travel looks like, or if you are going to get spring bind....

i think the proper answer to that is - when it doesnt smoke. every setup is going to be different

set it with the shop air to a solid number like 15 psi, the put on truck and go from their....at least you have a starting point to go from.

dont forget to check the spring setting with your max boost pressure as well to see what your full travel looks like, or if you are going to get spring bind....
ok if I set it at 15, the pre boost screw will take care of the fuel till 15?

Just making sure.

You ran your AFC housing all the way to the rear also? I think i have a set of 181's you can try. I don't want to sell them, but you can at least try them and see if it helps.

How did those 181's work??????

What opening pressure are the injectors set to? Whats the truck like at idle? If you have a stock set of injectors laying around throw them in, see if it clears everything up...

I had a hazing issue that I chased around for a while, turns out it was the injectors... (3 different sets):doh:

Last edited:
What opening pressure are the injectors set to? Whats the truck like at idle? If you have a stock set of injectors laying around throw them in, see if it clears everything up...

I had a hazing issue that I chased around for a while, turns out it was the injectors... (3 different sets):doh:
I can't remember where weston set them. I told him to set them o ppump pressures.

Idle is a slight lope, but I have some fuel leaks that might be making it lope. Its very slight, I like it.

Also the dvs I have can make it lope.

I do have hazing but I expect it with the injectors and setup I have. I'm also running 26-28 deg timing.

How did those 181's work??????

I like 181's. As far as I'm concerned, they only need to make 2 sizes, 181's and 024's.:hehe:
Give me a call Tim. I've got 2 sets of nozzles coming in to test.

I like 181's. As far as I'm concerned, they only need to make 2 sizes, 181's and 024's.:hehe:

I agree with that! Im not a fan of 191s.215 pumps and 13mm don't need anything more than 181s in a street dirven p pump 24v imo

Had to borrow this picture from Copenglenn as I do not have a comparison.

215hp AFC - 215hp Governor - TST

DSC01987.jpg
Weston my spring looks like the middle but is goldish in color. Is it a stock 215 spring or something else?

Thanks

One common mistake people make when tuning the pre-boost screw is to think if they have "smoke" then it's too far in... Weston told me this and it's true: it will still smoke with too little fuel.
The pre-boost screw is very finnicky and if you go 1/4 turn away from the 'sweetspot', your spool suffers.

I don't see why people slide the housing back from FFwd. Just turn the pre-boost screw out to compensate for the housing forward. They're a coarse & fine adjustment..
The problem with NOT having the AFC housing FFwd is when you take the AFC off/on, you lose the tune. If it's slid forward, your tune is retained everytime you R&R the AFC.

Plus, more rack travel. Duh...

And 1.55" on an AFC spring length is just too short IMHO. You need somewhere at least around 2", if not longer. I don't have one in front of me to measure, but the TST springs are the perfect length.. they just need one heavier than their "heavy" spring for the people with lots of fuel.

Last edited:
Back