Trying to get my truck not to smoke when taking off, need help.

Ok I pulled the spring. It looks like a 215 spring but is a goldish color not black like the one weston posted.

Isn't it smokey in the midrange?

if you jam on it yes......

its working for now with normal daily driving, as long as you dont stab it it will spool up without clouding until full boost

havent really made up my mind which new spring to try out

Get a 180/215hp governor spring, those delivery valves can be street driven easily if the AFC is setup properly.

88/96mm turbine? What is the installed centerline on the cam?

so a 215 afc spring will work better than the tst heavy in a higher boost application?

just asking not making a smart remark, i havent done any research on different spring rates like you posted before

i thought mine was good, but obviously there are better options

ive got work to do then!

now where can i find the measurements on the height of the 215 afc spring......i have them in the same box with my stock gsk springs, i can always denomonate which two are similar

Had to borrow this picture from Copenglenn as I do not have a comparison.

215hp AFC - 215hp Governor - TST

DSC01987.jpg

It can be, I lengthen them. For twins I use the governor unmodified.

Last edited:
I run the same delivery valve on a poor breathing stock cam'd stock headed 12v with 24* of timing and the truck does not smoke when warm unless you get into the throttle hard at low boost or go wot given the little 64 isn't going to clear the fuel I have. This with a .91 a/r t4 s364 single. Keep playing with the AFC and follow the suggestions of those here and you will figure it out. Might not happen in 30 minutes so be patient.

Get a 180/215hp governor spring, those delivery valves can be street driven easily if the AFC is setup properly.

88/96mm turbine? What is the installed centerline on the cam?
My spring looks like a 215 but is goldish in color. And really stiff. It seems like it isn't long enough.

Yes I have the 96 turbine. What's installed centerline on the cam?

My spring looks like a 215 but is goldish in color. And really stiff. It seems like it isn't long enough.

I'll see if i can get the part numbers for some of the springs I've tried from Ace Hardware. Just have to cut them on a bech grinder to get the length right. Just a few bucks each.

I'll see if i can get the part numbers for some of the springs I've tried from Ace Hardware. Just have to cut them on a bech grinder to get the length right. Just a few bucks each.
I bought a couple earlier. One was too soft, the other is close but hard as hell to cut.

It is the position of the center of the intake lobe of the cam in its rotation relative to crank rotation (generally). There is also obviously an exhaust centerline but for most practical purposes the intake centerline is what most use as a reference to where the cam is installed.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/416/valve-timing-tutorial.aspx

"The intake valve reaches its maximum lift at some defined point (usually about 106 degrees) after top dead center. This is called the intake centerline, which refers to where the cam has been installed in the engine in relation to the crankshaft."

Last edited:
It is the position of the center of the intake lobe of the cam in its rotation relative to crank rotation (generally). There is also obviously an exhaust centerline but for most practical purposes the intake centerline is what most use as a reference to where the cam is installed.

http://www.compcams.com/Pages/416/valve-timing-tutorial.aspx

"The intake valve reaches its maximum lift at some defined point (usually about 106 degrees) after top dead center. This is called the intake centerline, which refers to where the cam has been installed in the engine in relation to the crankshaft."
I pulled it at TDC and put it back in the same way. The cam is keyed so it could go only one way, is what I was told.

I pulled it at TDC and put it back in the same way. The cam is keyed so it could go only one way, is what I was told.

I believe Weston (Smokem) was insinuating that some cam companies do not have the best QC and while they may tell you the ICL is such and such it may in reality be very different. Only way to know for certain is if you degree it in. Ofcourse hopefully this is not the case:)

I believe Weston (Smokem) was insinuating that some cam companies do not have the best QC and while they may tell you the ICL is such and such it may in reality be very different. Only way to know for certain is if you degree it in. Ofcourse hopefully this is not the case:)
Yeah I don't know that and I didn't degree it.

Ok I strecthed my spring a little, cranked my starwheel all the way back, changed my washers, slid the housing all the way.

Took it for a ride and its a lot better. I'm surprised how clean it is. I still got some tuning to do, but I'm a lot happier with it.

I think my spring needs to be strecthed a little more. I would also like my full fueling to come in earlier, it doesn't come on till 55-60.

Back