Turbo rule, what you thought it was?

mech2161

I have a secret.
Bushing from any larger turbo size down to a 2.6 turbo is PROHIBITED.

Dan posted this when I asked in another thread.

It says bushing, define bushing? Bushings are removable, stepped covers are different than bushings.

Are stepped covers what people expected from this rule? Was it the original intention of the rule to keep the larger chargers out? Did you expect it to turn into what it has?

Sheet metal intake in 2.6? Is that really street? Why no hood stacks? $.02

While I myself agree with your post mech2161...

What the bandwagon riders who will eventually enter this thread are going to say is this...

"The 2.6" class is no longer a "street" class... and any words such as "Street" should be removed from association with this class."

Seems to be the general concensus anyway... As much as it sucks.

sheet metal intakes are only good for what 60-75 hp?
why not? it's mainly there for egt reduction.

Kevin, instead of whining, how about YOU writing a 2.6 turbo rule for the rest of us to critique?

If it is a good one, I'll adopt it in a heart beat, I'm not so proud to learn from others.

Maybe you have the magic wording that will solve all the the problems that YOU see, but just won't share?

there are two different groups of pullers all trying to run a 2.6 Diesel Rule.

Group ONE: semi-pro 2.6 pullers who want twist the rules already in place to get the maximum amount of power out of there trucks.

Group TWO: regular everyday 'local' owners who want to be able to come to their local fair pulls and participate in a class where they stand a chance to finish in the top ten.

I have seen this first hand in 2010. At Burton, Ohio in June the Semi-Pro guys were there in numbers and dominated the local guys. In the Global Truck Outfitters Series there were just a very few of the semi-pro trucks and the local guys had a chance.

so here is the dilemma.... some will say lets make TWO classes. Will not work on the Fair circuit!!! Fairs want to see their 'local' guys pull and have a chance. And the purse for these "local" pullers is less and that is also in the interest of the Fairs.

We have got to find a way to maintain the spirit of a true 2.6 charger class. i can tell you that this if FUN for everyone. But the semi-pro guys have got to be brought back to a true 2.6 level with NO bushings - NO special housings - NO extended intakes. OR the semi-pro guys have got to go where they really belong in 2.8 or Pro Stock Diesel.

The rules were written for a true 2.6 class and that is where the rules need to be IF we are to include BOTH of the pulling groups in the overall 2.6 program.

and YES. I do blame NADM for allowing this to get totally "Out of Hand".

here is an idea for starters ....

2.6 STREET DIESEL TURBO RULE

ONLY SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS ARE PERMITTED. THE TURBO INDUCER MAY BE NO LARGER THAN 2.6 INCHES NATIVE IN DIAMETER AND WILL BE CHECKED AT THE OFFICIAL’S DISCRETION. NO BUSHING OF THE INDUCER IS PERMITTED. THIS WOULD INCLUDE BOTH REMOVABLE BUSHINGS AND PERMANENT STEP COVERS OR PERMANENT HOUSINGS. A PLUG MEASURING 2.650 WILL BE USED WHEN IT IS POSSIBLE TO MEASURE AT THE FACE OF THE WHEEL. CALIPERS WILL BE USED WHEN THE PLUG CANNOT REACH THE FACE OF THE WHEEL DUE TO SOME PERMANENT APPARATUS IN PLACE. MAP WIDTH ENHANCEMENT WILL BE PERMITTED. MAXIMUM MAP WIDTH .200”. MWE GROOVE MUST BE INSIDE NECK AREA WHERE INTAKE COVERED IS MEASURED AT 2.6”

Rick, At your rules meeting the pullers decide what the rules should be. All the points pullers are gonna want the same rules because they do well in it. I'm running a true 2.6 charger and could care less if dmax's and cummins are running s480's and 475's. I say leave it alone.

:clap: It is about time somebody finally said it! NO stepped covers, NO stepped wheels, 2.6 in wheel that protrudes into a 2.6 bore!

2.6 STREET DIESEL TURBO RULE

ONLY SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS ARE PERMITTED. THE TURBO INDUCER MAY BE NO LARGER THAN 2.6 INCHES NATIVE IN DIAMETER AND WILL BE CHECKED AT THE OFFICIAL’S DISCRETION. NO BUSHING OF THE INDUCER IS PERMITTED. THIS WOULD INCLUDE BOTH REMOVABLE BUSHINGS AND PERMANENT STEP COVERS OR PERMANENT HOUSINGS. A PLUG MEASURING 2.650 WILL BE USED WHEN IT IS POSSIBLE TO MEASURE AT THE FACE OF THE WHEEL. CALIPERS WILL BE USED WHEN THE PLUG CANNOT REACH THE FACE OF THE WHEEL DUE TO SOME PERMANENT APPARATUS IN PLACE. MAP WIDTH ENHANCEMENT WILL BE PERMITTED. MAXIMUM MAP WIDTH .200”. MWE GROOVE MUST BE INSIDE NECK AREA WHERE INTAKE COVERED IS MEASURED AT 2.6”

:clap: It is about time somebody finally said it! NO stepped covers, NO stepped wheels, 2.6 in wheel that protrudes into a 2.6 bore!

LOL, now you just opened up the door for high dollar custom wheels, contoured etc. LOL.

We also have to think of the fans, a 2.6 s400 truck can put on a great show, start castrating the class, and the fans won't want to watch.

We all want pulling to be a budget hobby, look at the real gasser classes, they aren't. The entry level gas class in MSTPA, I think most of the guys have 10K+ in the engines. Probably closer to 20K for the top running ones.

It sounds like folks want a class that they can bolt a charger on, throw some fuel at it and run at the top. That should be a brush pull at the local fair. Something the local folks write the rules for. The sanctioned pulls shouldn't be for the local guy that hooks his truck 2 times a year.

Rick, with all due respect, who are you looking out for here?

You've got some of the best running 2.6 trucks in the country putting on what looks like a very good show to me, and now you feel the need to pull it back?

Why? Who is complaining?

Casey, don't you think you're being a little biased here since you run a shaved "protrude" wheel? I highly doubt your compressor exducer is some stock 9_ mm dia wheel....

Correct me if I'm wrong.

ONLY SINGLE TURBO CHARGERS ARE PERMITTED. THE TURBO INDUCER MAY BE NO LARGER THAN 2.6 INCHES NATIVE IN DIAMETER AND WILL BE CHECKED AT THE OFFICIAL’S DISCRETION.

Rick, there is no such thing as "native" any more. You can get whatever wheel you want in whatever inducer and whatever exducer. Just order it up.

Rick, At your rules meeting the pullers decide what the rules should be. All the points pullers are gonna want the same rules because they do well in it. I'm running a true 2.6 charger and could care less if dmax's and cummins are running s480's and 475's. I say leave it alone.

Chris, I consider myself a serious points puller and I agree that 2.6 is out of hand. I do not blame anyone for the way it is, this is just the sport evolving. It is natural for some pullers to want the rules to stay the same, (mostly cuz they are doing well, or they dont want to spend more money on something different). However it is not about the individual puller, it should be about the best for the sport. Hood stacks, runner intakes (which are about HP, NOT egt reduction) water injection, and tube chassis all have their place in other classes NOT 2.6. If the class were allowed to have all these things there would be very little difference in the classes, especially from the fans point of view. The fans pay the bill and they need to be taken into consideration as well. Right now 2.6 hot trucks can damn near run with the pro-stock diesels with unlimited chargers. I see a problem with that!:soap:

and YES. I do blame NADM for allowing this to get totally "Out of Hand".

No need to blame us Rick, we accept reponsibilty for giving the pullers a turbo rule the majority of them agreed on.
The rule has worked perfectly for 3 years now, except for a few whiners, and please keep in mind YOU came to US because it was what YOUR pullers wanted.

Once again, the tighter that rule is the more money will be spent on turbos, and the same trucks will keep winning, and the same whiners will keep whining.

Still waiting for the pm box to fill up to change this rule!!

As far as putting on a show the sled determines how the show looks. You can take a 500 hp truck that blows all kinds of smoke and let him go out the end, the crowd can't tell. I've seen the sled guy be an ass and slam the mod guys at 250. Even at there power level thaat wasn't a good show.

I feel like we have beat 5 dead horses to pieces talking about the 2.6 rules. Should we leave them, should we change them? We are going to have a meeting and the pullers here will decide what we are gonna do.

You guys need to keep in mind. That the people winning will most likely keep on winning no matter what you do. If the 2.6 class is cut back to a true 2.6 there will be some wicked comp wheels and engine programs done around them and the power will be very close to what it is now.

Another thing to keep in mind is all of you saying its easy to get a 2.6 LEGAL charger from anyone a off the shelf 66 mm s300 chargers will not pass tech

Ted

No need to blame us Rick, we accept reponsibilty for giving the pullers a turbo rule the majority of them agreed on.
The rule has worked perfectly for 3 years now, except for a few whiners, and please keep in mind YOU came to US because it was what YOUR pullers wanted.

Once again, the tighter that rule is the more money will be spent on turbos, and the same trucks will keep winning, and the same whiners will keep whining.

Still waiting for the pm box to fill up to change this rule!!

I am still waiting on the tshirts and hats that you told me we were getting. LOL

Casey, don't you think you're being a little biased here since you run a shaved "protrude" wheel? I highly doubt your compressor exducer is some stock 9_ mm dia wheel....

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Matt, you have NO idea what im running for a turbo or comp wheel. Please do not call me biased. Im looking for the best interest of the sport, Not my own. The turbo I run now may or may not pass tech on the rule i agree with. However, Im not a fool and I can read the rules and I assure you that I am 100% within the current written rules.

The guys that are going to be out front are the guys who put big money into cams, heads, dyno time. Take the turbo off, don't you think that engine naturally aspirated will make more power than the stocker ones?

Matt, you have NO idea what im running for a turbo or comp wheel. Please do not call me biased. Im looking for the best interest of the sport, Not my own. The turbo I run now may or may not pass tech on the rule i agree with. However, Im not a fool and I can read the rules and I assure you that I am 100% within the current written rules.

Careful. Nowhere did I say you were illegal.

But you and everyone else will work around the rule that Rick is proposing, just like you are working around it now.

You don't have to tell me what wheel you're running. The fact that you didn't answer me directly tells me everything I need to know.

The real trouble is, if folks think a protrusion rule is going to solve the stated issue, they're dead wrong. It won't do a thing. Guys like me and Casey will show up and wax a street truck every time, you can bet on that.

Back