Turbo rule, what you thought it was?

there are two different groups of pullers all trying to run a 2.6 Diesel Rule.

Group ONE: semi-pro 2.6 pullers who want twist the rules already in place to get the maximum amount of power out of there trucks.

Group TWO: regular everyday 'local' owners who want to be able to come to their local fair pulls and participate in a class where they stand a chance to finish in the top ten.

I have seen this first hand in 2010. At Burton, Ohio in June the Semi-Pro guys were there in numbers and dominated the local guys. In the Global Truck Outfitters Series there were just a very few of the semi-pro trucks and the local guys had a chance.

so here is the dilemma.... some will say lets make TWO classes. Will not work on the Fair circuit!!! Fairs want to see their 'local' guys pull and have a chance. And the purse for these "local" pullers is less and that is also in the interest of the Fairs.

We have got to find a way to maintain the spirit of a true 2.6 charger class. i can tell you that this if FUN for everyone. But the semi-pro guys have got to be brought back to a true 2.6 level with NO bushings - NO special housings - NO extended intakes. OR the semi-pro guys have got to go where they really belong in 2.8 or Pro Stock Diesel.

The rules were written for a true 2.6 class and that is where the rules need to be IF we are to include BOTH of the pulling groups in the overall 2.6 program.

and YES. I do blame NADM for allowing this to get totally "Out of Hand".

If i do recall, rules are wrote to be guide lines. Some throw parts on and pull, and others build to the limits of the rules.

as far as the the turbo rules go i think it should be so a true 2.6 turbo and limit it to something that would be possible to drive on the street giving the correct tuning. this way if someone didn't have a way to trailer there truck to an event they could still pull. just a thought.

I really don't care what rules are decided, just get them on paper and out to the pullers by like no later than Dec. of the year prior. Also rules should be good for like 3 years. Most org. set rules and keep them for 2 or 3 years. The only rules that can be changed are safety rules. This just makes it so the puller doesn't need new spec parts every year. That gets expensive.

So are you really saying that if a pull was put on with NADM Work Stock rules, all these guys would jump in? Or would they be skeered of the big bad national rules?

Define what would get them out of the parking lot.

If it were a 2.5" class would they hook?
If it were a 2.4" class would they hook?
If it were a 2.0" class would they hook?

I'll toss this out too:

I think some guys won't hook because they are embarrassed to go 220'.

Why? Did not everyone start somewhere? All of us have finished 10th or worse at some point? Did we quit? Maybe we felt like it but we didn't.

Back in the day, anyone with a 90hp box could go an maybe win.

The past is the past. Those days are over. Period. It will never be that way again. Ever! We cannot turn back time!

Maybe pro pullers need to reach out more and invite people to hook, and help out, and encourage people that way. Or invite those guys to the pits or to help out or whatever to get them involved. If we all look like a bunch of pro snobs, maybe we should be carrying ourselves differently. Like not laughing when a newb shows up and goes 220'. Be encouraging and befriend those guys. Maybe point them to a street stock class at some small pull and go with them to give them some pointers. But DO NOT dumb down a good class in order to satisfy some cinderella dream of "I beat 'em all with my '94 stroke."

If potential pullers are looking for a class they can dominate, it's no ones' problem but their own. Beacuse it won't ever happen. It's the wrong attitude.

I don't know, I think they are scared.
We get a pretty fair share at Indiana but we call it Hot street and usually get about 20 in that class, but honestly the ones that show up just to wish and watch create more revenue for the grounds so......

Very skeered. Or scared, as we like to say when we are learned. LOL A guy in work stock running points might just beat them, and then all that bud light bull**** they spew would be meaningless.

Good stuff:
Maybe pro pullers need to reach out more and invite people to hook, and help out, and encourage people that way. Or invite those guys to the pits or to help out or whatever to get them involved. If we all look like a bunch of pro snobs, maybe we should be carrying ourselves differently. Like not laughing when a newb shows up and goes 220'. Be encouraging and befriend those guys. Maybe point them to a street stock class at some small pull and go with them to give them some pointers. But DO NOT dumb down a good class in order to satisfy some cinderella dream of "I beat 'em all with my '94 stroke."

I think it's great and I have accomplished something to get Matt to think outside the box. :Cheer:

One other thing regarding the people in the parking lot.

Like say 5 years ago, there were two of us at work that had diesel trucks.

Now, there's like half a dozen of all kinds. You drive around and you see them everywhere because the diesels now own the HD pickup market. You even see them at racetracks. I'll never figure that one out, but back to the story:

Ain't ONE of those guys who would ever hook their truck. Two of them have talked about it, but they're both afraid of breaking the truck. Period. I've offered all kinds of help and advice but they just won't do it. It doesn't matter what the rules are. They ain't doing it.

I think a lot of people in the parking lot at fairs are in the same boat and they use the notion of "I'm ah gonna get beat baaaad" as an excuse. Plain and simple.

Now, Kev, you and I both know there are a few guys who will hook. I think they need to be directed to a pure street hook somewhere (they exist all over the place). Send them there and maybe even volunteer to go with 'em and help out.

NASCAR drivers start in Karts and Midgets. They do not try to sneak into the Daytona 500 to learn how to race. Same with this.

I have not totally figured out on what the pulling future rests. I can see folks drawing the argument that we need new people entering the sport, but if they only do it once, that's not going to carry it. I can also draw the argument that it's guys like you and me and Bennetts and Gildersleeves and a lot of other good running trucks that will be committed to this for a long time to come.

Probably a mixture of both.

Your pushing out pullers that are willing to be involved. Unified rules may be the down fall of the sport.

NADM has 5 classes, as it stands, Work Stock, 2.6,2.8, Super Street, and Modified.
Most other places are lucky to have 2- Street and non.

FPP chose 2.6 because it was what the points runners wanted. Now, they seem to be leaning towards a Work Stock class, as it may better suit the needs of the fairs.

I'm not quite sure how choosing the wrong class for their shows is going to be the downfall of Diesel pulling in the whole country, Kevin, but maybe I don't have the vision a West Virginian Ford puller does?:shake::hehe:

Top complaints and cause of battles and class killers in my 10 years of pulling in all classes, gas and tractors included:

Changing rules upon out comes of pulls and /or rules different from the event/club next door.

Never heard anyone complain about attempts to unify rules. Cept you.

At the end of the day, the way NADMS rules are written no matter what everyone else decides to run, you can come pull in one of our classes.

Snedge, its pernounced, "askeered."

LOL Gene I think we both understand each other. I like the rules used by PPP for local events and fair pulls. More trucks and a wide variety of them. They also stand a possibility of domination by one or two trucks though.

I don't think it's a bad thing if PPP has "catch all" kind of class. No one org can be everything to everyone.

But I don't think your hardcore guys are going to go for it because of the handicaps. That being said, if I get my junk running, I'll come run it with you at least once....to "pull outside the box" LOL

And you better like those rules....ya helped write 'em!

I've hooked with them several times. They seem to work pretty well. Let me know when you get the itch to hook. Like to see ya back at it.

Jeff I don't disagree. How do we get the wanna bes' to come back?

We cant do much more than offer the WS class. We have kept the purse extremely low, to discourage "ringers".
Severals years back at Thunder in Muncie, DHRA offered a "rookie" class. It worked great, a newbie took a seasoned puller to ride shotgun, the sled was set light, and about a dozen people broke into the sport. Literally, One of them was Dan Painter, cost him a Dana 80.
The next year, it worked so well they did it again.
Except this time somebody who should have been competing, snuck in, covered the crowd with smoke, and took the sled down town. They stopped after that.
I'm thinking the people you want to bring in, Kevin, would be happy towing a sled with no weight in it. I don't really have the time to do that, thats what clubs and test an tunes are for.

Gene I just think that you could take the top ten 2.6 pullers from across the country, give them a 3.0 charger and they would be top ten in that class to. Doesn't seem right, then again I don't think we will find the answer either. Makes it tough when you have local or fair pulls using NADM rules.

i was at a pull last night it had 2 street classes 7500 and 8000, they had 15 trucks a piece not what i would call chasing the local little trucks out of pulling

orlo has his own set, but with that being said the majority of the trucks there were in the global truck outfitters series full pull put on. That little 3 pull series for example there were at least 20 trucks at each of those pulls and they used NADM rules. NADMs rules are at least written in stone no compromise, you know what you are getting when you show up and if you aren't ready for that dont show. Like has been said that are always pulls for the little guy just look for them. I am not a top truck by any means but i want to compete and if that means building a truck to those rules im going to do it.

I think the rules are just fine. Will my truck ever win a 2.6 NADM championship under them? No, but it will be competitive at most 2.6 events and God willing be able to drive home if it has to. Just ask Rob how it handled on the interstate for the hour drive home? My point is that it's my own fault I'll never be the champ because I don't want to give up the streetability factor, maybe someday, just not yet. Oh, I plan on making better, just not a wolf in sheep's clothing.

I started my pulling three years ago as a stock truck. Here there are not really many classes except show up. As this was I was fine the first year. The next year I added as did the others. Last year it was up to S400's for the 2.6 guys pulling with NADM. THis year I was done with puling so I put twins on and pulled a little. I did this to build anohter truck for next year and to see if this turbo rule woudl pan out between the dif. organizations that I might attend that being NADM, the TS hook, and Scheids. I like NADM rules since they are unchanged. Last year my stepped wheel was fine but not up to the big guys since I still had to drive my turck and pull a trailer with it. Now if I had that charger back I would be good to pull except for the blanket at Scheids.
WHile I am sure the safety rule is fine, but for a "street class/daily driven trucks" it was designed for realy is this a good rule. Who is gonna drive with this stuff. YesI know this is the best of the best that will be on top or pull. This is also the first time since I have had a diesel truck I haven't competed with or in a national event. I make a fair amount at work and have no problem breaking my truck and fixing it I am just at a stand still with the ever changing rules.

Until something is unified to be close I am at brush pulls with the 12V I will build over the winter.

More thoughts rattling around in my head:

Tractor classes: FPP has Limited Pro / Superfarm, and Smoker Series.

There is no "farm stock" class. Nobody shows up with a 1066 International with the pump "turned up" and then gets upset because they get waxed by the LP/SF guys. Do the fair boards get upset because Johnny Hayseed can't bring his "cow chit Farmall" and run with them? I hardly think so! They go somewhere else that has a class for them.

The LP/SF and SS are "elite" classes for serious competitors.

That's the way the trucks are going. We are way beyond daily drivers because the technologies are evolving very quickly. What we can do today was unthinkable 5 years ago.

So with the diesel trucks, you have NADM 2.6 and Pro Stock. Two "elite" classes, similar to their counterparts in the tractors.

I'll bet 20 years ago there were people saying SuperFarm was waaaay out of control. But look now, an exciting class that I love to watch. I wouldn't give you a nickel to watch Farm Stock Tractors. And as budgets go, I bet the LP/SF tractors make even pro stock trucks look like a bargain.

At some point you have to realize that the ship has left the harbor and it ain't going back.

For the record, I believe one unified set of rules is the most important thing. I'll stand by the statement I made 2 years ago "You guys build the rules and I'll build my truck accordingly."

Matt - I couldn't agree more about the point you made with the tractors. We do not need to coddle the newbees (This is not tee-ball). I can remember my first pull getting waxed by calvin and you by over 50'. Instead of quitting, I kept my nose to it and thats what drove me to where I am today.

For the record, I believe one unified set of rules is the most important thing. I'll stand by the statement I made 2 years ago "You guys build the rules and I'll build my truck accordingly."

Matt - I couldn't agree more about the point you made with the tractors. We do not need to coddle the newbees (This is not tee-ball). I can remember my first pull getting waxed by calvin and you by over 50'. Instead of quitting, I kept my nose to it and thats what drove me to where I am today.

Can-do attitude!

If I get my junk running, I'll be trying to catch you....there at least a little irony in that!

I don't run in the 2.6 class. But from where I stand I don't see it being broken. The power you guys make is impressive. I can see why some want to slow that down. But I don't see an easy way to do it.

I think those that want it cut back think that the top guys will move up a class. I don't see that happening. Than we will have the debates after the rules are changed.

The guys that can will and those that can't will whine.

Classic motorsports

Back