Turbo rule, what you thought it was?

thanks for the input and i must re-iterate the following....

the RULES for USA-EAST 2.6 are determined 'BY THE MEMBERS' in the 2.6 class. and that is how it will be in October of this year when we have the annual rules meeting.

the INTERPRETATION then falls to the officials of USA-EAST. the officials were completely caught "off guard" when they measured turbos at Burton, Ohio in June and found 3.0 turbos (with beautifully machined housings) running in the 2.6 class.

and the other night in Sandusky, the officials found a 3.1 turbo on a truck trying to get into the 2.6 class. local rules were in effect at Sandusky and the truck had to move up to Pro Stock Diesel and finished 6th out of 14 trucks. LOL

Im looking for the best interest of the sport, Not my own

Some people will never understand that.

Just as as quick thought on the turbo. True 2.6 inducer past the mwe. No stepped covers or bushings. Max comp exducer 102mm. No billet comp wheels. NO modifications to the MWE. T4 maximum exhaust housing.

The turbo is only part of controlling the class. Cutting the intake off of the head is not allowed. No solid rear suspension.

Whats the reason behind no billet comp wheels. There are a ton of people that run them now and even more next year. Most likely before long all turbos will have them. NO cutting the intake off is another stupid rule which is just aimed at the cummins guys.

I agree 2.6 is not a competitive place for a true street truck nor do I think it will be in the near future. However, here in NE Ohio it is hard for a 2.6 guy to bump up because the next class for us is unlimited single. If we had a 3.0 class like sleddy is proposing, it would be easier for guys like myself to bump.

there are two different groups of pullers all trying to run a 2.6 Diesel Rule.

Group ONE: semi-pro 2.6 pullers who want twist the rules already in place to get the maximum amount of power out of there trucks.

Group TWO: regular everyday 'local' owners who want to be able to come to their local fair pulls and participate in a class where they stand a chance to finish in the top ten.

I have seen this first hand in 2010. At Burton, Ohio in June the Semi-Pro guys were there in numbers and dominated the local guys. In the Global Truck Outfitters Series there were just a very few of the semi-pro trucks and the local guys had a chance.

so here is the dilemma.... some will say lets make TWO classes. Will not work on the Fair circuit!!! Fairs want to see their 'local' guys pull and have a chance. And the purse for these "local" pullers is less and that is also in the interest of the Fairs.

We have got to find a way to maintain the spirit of a true 2.6 charger class. i can tell you that this if FUN for everyone. But the semi-pro guys have got to be brought back to a true 2.6 level with NO bushings - NO special housings - NO extended intakes. OR the semi-pro guys have got to go where they really belong in 2.8 or Pro Stock Diesel.

The rules were written for a true 2.6 class and that is where the rules need to be IF we are to include BOTH of the pulling groups in the overall 2.6 program.

and YES. I do blame NADM for allowing this to get totally "Out of Hand".

What happened to running a class within a class like you use to? At the Lawrence County Fair, they use baby a few places to the local guys a side from the others. If your truck could finish in the top 8, and you were the top local, technically you could get paid twice. I had a friend in the gas class probably 5 years or so ago that did it. If you are pulling for points, you should be excluded from the "local" regardless of your residence. If you are pulling for points do you really care about a local payout of a plaque?

We were talking about this at Bunker Hill on Friday night, and no one really wants to see the current rules changed. Nobody wants to go buy a new turbo every year, because of rule changes.

I don't think its realistic for a local that pulls once or twice a year to show at there local pull with a slightly modded truck, and expect to win against guys that have been pulling and building there trucks for years. I started into this just a couple of years ago, and I had no idea how much work was done to these 2.6 trucks, until I started showing up, and learning from the guys that have been at this for awhile. Full Pull has a really good group of guys that are regulars/points pullers.

How about a Work Stock Class for locals, and entry level pullers?

You will still have all the same people complaining if you go to a say a s300 frame t4 turbo. Instead of making 1000hp at the crank they will be doin 900hp at the crank. What ever happens for turbo rules next year it would be nice for the rules to get locked down for a few years because changing rules every year gets old.

We were talking about this at Bunker Hill on Friday night, and no one really wants to see the current rules changed.

What assoc was at Bunker Hill last night? What 2.6 rules were they running, and how many of you guys were discussing leaving the rules the same?

Just as as quick thought on the turbo.

True 2.6 inducer past the mwe.

No stepped covers or bushings.

Max comp exducer 102mm.

No billet comp wheels.

NO modifications to the MWE.

T4 maximum exhaust housing.

Cutting the intake off of the head is not allowed.

No solid rear suspension.

Thanks Kevin, that gives everyone something to dissect.
Does anyone have an issue with Kevins ideas?

The bolt on solid suspension- one of the few changes we made to the class in 3 years, that a huge majority asked for, with zero complaints.

. What ever happens for turbo rules next year it would be nice for the rules to get locked down for a few years because changing rules every year gets old.

Please keep in mind, NADM 2.6 turbo rule has been unchanged for 3 years running. The guys buying different turbos each year are buying better turbos because they want to, not because they have to.

Gene there isn't "one" thing that will tone the class down. There may be a place for 2.8 after deviding the class. I don't see 3.0 without open drive line ever working.

Casey, before you think I'm just being an azzhole towards you (I'm not trying but it may sure sound like it), my main concern is de-evolution back to where every club has its own rules again and guys from X can't pull at Y. That's a bad deal, plain and simple.

Unification is worth a TON. I will push that to my last day.

Now, to you Kevin:

1) Teching the comp wheel exducer is a nice thing to think about but I have yet to meet an organization that will tech it. How you gonna change that?

2) "no mods to MWE". How the hell do you know where it's supposed to be? It's different for every wheel under the sun. Turbo engineers move it around based on actual testing of the surge line based on whatever generation wheel you are using. There is no way on God's Green Earth that you or anyone, except the turbo OEM, can tell me where it's "supposed to be" or the dimensions. You are dreaming on this one!

3) No billet wheels? That's ridiculous. I guess we throw out the Aurora 5000 "just because"? Silliness.

Please keep in mind, NADM 2.6 turbo rule has been unchanged for 3 years running. The guys buying different turbos each year are buying better turbos because they want to, not because they have to.

I wasnt exactly refering to nadm which is prolly the only one thats hasnt changed rules year to year.

No billet comp wheels
Cutting the intake off of the head is not allowed

No billet wheel might be a problem since many already run them and you cant really say they are custom because they come on the new garrett gtx line and forced inductions has them for bw turbos. The problem with no cutting the intake off the head is it would only affect the cummins crowd which prolly has the poorest flowing head to begin with. You cant really make rules that only affect one but not the other two.

thanks for the input and i must re-iterate the following....

the RULES for USA-EAST 2.6 are determined 'BY THE MEMBERS' in the 2.6 class. and that is how it will be in October of this year when we have the annual rules meeting.

the INTERPRETATION then falls to the officials of USA-EAST. the officials were completely caught "off guard" when they measured turbos at Burton, Ohio in June and found 3.0 turbos (with beautifully machined housings) running in the 2.6 class.

and the other night in Sandusky, the officials found a 3.1 turbo on a truck trying to get into the 2.6 class. local rules were in effect at Sandusky and the truck had to move up to Pro Stock Diesel and finished 6th out of 14 trucks. LOL

Rick, excuse me, don't you think NADM should be interpreting NADM rules?

Your tech officials should never have been surprised. Anyone reading the rules, this should have been obvious.

If you threw a guy out with a 3.1 wheel and a stepped cover, yet met 2.6" NADM rules, I believe you're in the wrong, because if it met NADM 2.6, how is it that you can put your own spin on it and tossed him?

In essence, what you're doing is allowing recontoured wheels, but not stepped housings. What's the difference? Even if you think it's 50 HP, and that's going out on a limb, then Casey still beats all your other "Bubba with a chip" trucks from down yonder.

I really don't like how this discussion is going. Now we have people taking spins on NADM rules, and talking about coming up with a yet a new set for next year. It's the damn Tower of Babel all over again.

What assoc was at Bunker Hill last night? What 2.6 rules were they running, and how many of you guys were discussing leaving the rules the same?

It was Full Pull running NADM 2.6 Rules. There was probably 5 or so guys talking about some of the recent turbo threads on here. For the most part the guys that are pulling week in and week out are OK with the current rules.

Since FPP adopted NADM 2.6 rules, now you can pull with NW or FPP with out having to change over the truck.

Gene there isn't "one" thing that will tone the class down. There may be a place for 2.8 after deviding the class. I don't see 3.0 without open drive line ever working.

Matt I don't have all the answers. See the above post. How does your truck stack up to the new breed out there.

It was Full Pull running NADM 2.6 Rules. There was probably 5 or so guys talking about some of the recent turbo threads on here. For the most part the guys that are pulling week in and week out are OK with the current rules.

Since FPP adopted NADM 2.6 rules, now you can pull with NW or FPP with out having to change over the truck.

This is exactly what I'm saying! Finally we get to a point where basically an entire region has unified.

And for Rick: FPP runs lots of local classes. Big Butler Fair is a good example. Does this not satisfy the street trucks? I would think it does, since they were run in prime time at the BBF, while the "pro" 2.6 trucks ran on a Saturday afternoon.

I'm just not seeing what the problem is with the current rules, and the unification they bring.

Get out and talk to the "REAL" pullers. Meadville on Saturday night would be a good opportunity, they should have a nice crowd. I'm not really sure what the fuss is all about, I know several guys that pull regularly in the 2.6 class with mildly modded trucks, that drive in and drive out. Sure it would be nice to get a win, but I don't hear those goes whining, about not winning.

As for the BBF the truck count was higher Saturday afternoon, when the 2.6 trucks ran there was over 20. On Wednesday night, when the locals ran there was on 10 trucks! Somewhat of a low number for the BBF, which usually draws a lot more trucks. Do to address restrictions if you wanted to pull that night, I believe they had you in the PRO class.

Matt I don't have all the answers. See the above post. How does your truck stack up to the new breed out there.

My truck :hehe: It's blue, that's about it. If things work out, I'll be seeing you next year, hopefully at an NADM rules 2.6 event!

Kev, on your truck, I don't see why it can't run like Casey's. That thing should be top-10 at any given event....I thought the 12V guys had this down to a recipe...

Back