turbo upgrades?

WhiteSport600

My truck has all the deletes, 5" MPRP, and the grid heater delete and a Smarty TNT. I'm in the process of doing a converter and built 68RFE. Right now it feels like it's totally choked out at WOT. Like the backpressure is through the roof because EGT's aren't really that high. Should I just do an external wastegate or upgrade turbos? What about the Stage 2 VGT's turbos that are out there? Worth it or not??

its all in what you want to do with the truck if you do alot of towing that exhaust brake is sweet and you can either go with compounds or stage 2 vgt and back pressure should drop but its still not a bad idea to do an external waste gate if you stick with your stock charger.

Fire the stock charger out the window at 100 mph and dont look back, A 66mm charger will spool well and cut the drive pressure wayy back.

I would throw a 66/71/14 on it, with a third gen manifold.

What he said!

Fire the stock charger out the window at 100 mph and dont look back, A 66mm charger will spool well and cut the drive pressure wayy back.

x2!

I am with both of these guys stick a 66mm on there and she will wake up

X3!

I have a 66/71-14 (super phat shaft 66) on a 3rd gen PDI manifold, i'd take this charger setup over the stock charger ANY DAY OF THE WEEK, towing heavy towing light, daily driving, drag racing, dyno... this truck is COMPLETELY different in every way possible... take the stock charger and turn it in to recycling

I've towed upwards of 10,000lbs (diesel trucks on 30' goosenecks) and i'd take the performance of this charger over having that silly exhaust brake anyday... never looking back!

Im running an S472 Single with a 1.0 exhaust housing and was grossing 21,000 the other night with the excavator on the goosneck. Towed and spooled great.

At the expense of vastly slower spooling, loss of the exhaust brake and backtracking 20 years in technology.

As said by jrmoparin91, if you want to stick with a single change to an HE451Ve.

At the expense of vastly slower spooling, loss of the exhaust brake and backtracking 20 years in technology.

As said by jrmoparin91, if you want to stick with a single change to an HE451Ve.

It's not as slow as you think, the vgt won't be missed, and there are turbos out there that have been working everyday for 20 years that are better than the vgt.

The window idea is better!

and there are turbos out there that have been working everyday for 20 years that are better than the vgt.

Only in people's imaginations. I drive a VNT turbo and wouldn't go back to anything else. Just the turbo alone, no other changes, made a complete 180 in how the car performs. The dyno even showed a 7hp increase over the stock wastegated turbo with the same fueling.

Only in people's imaginations. I drive a VNT turbo and wouldn't go back to anything else. Just the turbo alone, no other changes, made a complete 180 in how the car performs. The dyno even showed a 7hp increase over the stock wastegated turbo with the same fueling.

See but the difference here is we have alot more air displacement than your car we can spool a big turbo pretty darn fast near as fast as stock. I'm not trashing you but the 66mm will spool nearly as fast if not as fast as stock. again not trying to piss on your boots ,but I know how my truck performed before and after the swap and theres not much if any difference in spool up time

a little off topic ,but are you forced induction off DB

Good luck then. I'm spooling a 478 with little effort!

gonna come down to your overall goal for the truck and what you use it for the most. Towing a lot, I love my VGT in fact I am getting ready to hang a 475 under it. I want to see just what we can make the VGT do, not ready to give up on it yet. If your truck is just a daily driver or something you want to take to the track and run all out I would say these guys are right and go with the 66/71. I have my truck wastegated as you can see in my signature and my twins will be as well. Like most things it comes down to different strokes for different folks. Which one suits what you want to do with the truck.

PS the 6.7 will spool a 66 just as fast as the vgt

See but the difference here is we have alot more air displacement than your car we can spool a big turbo pretty darn fast near as fast as stock.
On the racetrack thats fine, but in a daily driver or tower thats not right unless your turbo has an extremely small turbine. And I really doubt your turbo could make boost at idle or full boost just revving the engine in neutral. The VGT's turbine can go from 3cm in exhaust brake (usually 6-9cm at idle, thats what makes the jet sound) to 25cm wide open.

this he451 you talk about i have never heard of it. i would like to know more info on it. size, does it still have an exhaust brake, rated boost pressure

call up fleece performance... it's basically the stock turbo's big brother, with their "magic" box, it's plug & play... fully functional. Needs to be mounted on 2nd gen style manifold with corrected stud placement on the turbo flange to work with this guy

On the racetrack thats fine, but in a daily driver or tower thats not right unless your turbo has an extremely small turbine. And I really doubt your turbo could make boost at idle or full boost just revving the engine in neutral. The VGT's turbine can go from 3cm in exhaust brake (usually 6-9cm at idle, thats what makes the jet sound) to 25cm wide open.

I've pulled 30k lbs gross weight, with a 66/71 on a otherwise stock 6.7. Truck had a G56 as the time. I also have a 5.9 with a 62/71 that lags worse than the 6.7. I'm glad it works for you on the VW, but you're comparing apple & oranges.

Back