turbo upgrades?

VGT turbos don't last, plain fact, if you want a great turbo i'd go with a 66/71/14 and call it good. You'll make more power and be happier in the long run.

I towed heavy with my 66 constantly, if you want headache and headgasket issues go with a VGT.

I have seen more than a couple 6.7's, with blown gaskets, and the EB keeps coming on at random while driving down the road. If it's closing while you're in the throttle, it can't be a good thing. Jmo, I'm not as smart as them, myself

mine did this from time to time at the end of its days ,and I always drove mine like I just stole it. (after it warms up of course)

Then why have I done it successfully with a mechanical controller for the last 5 years?
Probably because your engine is much smaller this guy is looking for performance and with his (the OP) mods (My truck has all the deletes, 5" MPRP, and the grid heater delete and a Smarty TNT) I will tell you the the stock turbo is outmatched.

I am not trying to trash you ,but the op wants performance obviously or he wouldnt be running TNT on the smarty his best bet is to go with. now as far as towing I dont know because the biggest thing I tow is a bass boat

C111 go check your specs on cummins engines first of all ISL is not a l-10.Cummins Diesel Engines
past that your mechanical actuator made the point that I said the electronics are not there yet. I really do not feel like a pissing match but why do you think you can find these turbos so cheap all over ebay. It must be because they are the end all be all turbo that everyone wants to have. If they are so reliable and perfect why are there endless amounts amounts of them for sale? :doh: *bdh* To the op fixed geometry will cause you a lot less headache and backache the heads on a cummins are very heavy.

VGT turbos don't last, plain fact
A completely false one.

past that your mechanical actuator made the point that I said the electronics are not there yet.
How are they "not there" yet? The problem is with Dodge's specs not the actuator or the turbo.

I really do not feel like a pissing match but why do you think you can find these turbos so cheap all over ebay.
Because Holset does not allow Dodge dealers to open the turbo to clean it.

If they are so reliable and perfect why are there endless amounts amounts of them for sale?
Because there are many many ignorant people in the world.

There are a great many people that know nothing about VGT turbos yet talk trash about them, quite a few of them have posted in this thread.

:woohoo: VGT :cheer: Not gonna argue with you :stab: glad you like your turbo, but it is not the best way to go on a 6.7 if you owned one you might understand that.

A completely false one.

How are they "not there" yet? The problem is with Dodge's specs not the actuator or the turbo.

There are a great many people that know nothing about VGT turbos yet talk trash about them, quite a few of them have posted in this thread.

not true the dodge dealer wanted to clean my turbo under warrenty and i told them they can clean my nuts. i wanted a new charger and they did. warrenty cost was 1800 on the turbo

not to derail but im gunna kinda... How is the mpg's with the 66mm, i would assume they are not to bad since they are spooling so quickly.
In the market for a slightly used work truck this year, just interested how it would dd
50k miles a year on the highways for me. I like my power, but when it comes to gettin paid for miles.. i like fuel economy.

not to derail but im gunna kinda... How is the mpg's with the 66mm, i would assume they are not to bad since they are spooling so quickly.
In the market for a slightly used work truck this year, just interested how it would dd
50k miles a year on the highways for me. I like my power, but when it comes to gettin paid for miles.. i like fuel economy.
Its really about the same on my truck

A completely false one.

How are they "not there" yet? The problem is with Dodge's specs inot the actuator or the turbo.

Dude you would argue with your fawking toe nails if they talked back.

Congrats it works in your fancy car, fact is they don't work reliably on a 6.7 in stock form.

Its much cheaper in the long run to bolt on a fixed geometry turbo and be done with it.

You are going to love this my s468 gets the best mileage of any turbo that I have ran, on a side note the 468 has the least amount of restriction as well.

I have been through some misery with turbos on my 6.7. I finally got feed up and bought a twin kit from Source Auto. 64/S480 and that was the cure all for my turbo issues. Spools quick and pulls stupid hard.

As far as the VGT on our trucks. Not going to say it is a crap turbo even though 4 of them was replaced on the 6.7 that I lemoned. But it is used in the wrong application for the 6.7. It is just proven to handle every possible type of driving style that a truck would see. Big deal if Joe Blow buys his truck to drive to the office and Golf Course. The ENTIRE truck needs to be able to handle it. If the turbo has issues from sooting up then there is a flaw in the design of the components used on that truck. There was no excuse for my issues. Four turbos within 1800 miles. About 1200 miles of that was on open road with just stops for fuel and a piss break. During one trip back home the truck shut down on the side of the road 6 hours from home.

Even the specs for our VGT call for 100hp to 310hp applications. The HE300 range that is. Kind of funny that they are using it on a 350hp engine. I believe that is part to keep the emissions in check.

How come Holset did not want the turbos back to Refurb them? Dodge Refurbs damn near everything else. I mean if the Turbo from our trucks are so easy to clean and repair, why take the huge hit in the cost of throwing it away and replacing it with a new one. Ship it back to Holset, Rebuild it and use them warranty replacements.

the biggest problem is nobody uses the exaust brake when they drive it unless they r pulling a trailer. if people would use it there wouldnt b all the replacments. i have seen plenty of these turbos that are in great working conditions. and i have seen about 2 that were not...(aka sticking)and that is one that they didnt ever turn on the EB.

i wanted a new charger and they did.

Thats all on you then. There was nothing wrong with your old turbo at all. In fact the tech that pulled it probably sold it on ebay for a few hundred bucks.

Congrats it works in your fancy car, fact is they don't work reliably on a 6.7 in stock form.
Only for people that don't know anything about them (STR8 TQ, for example).

Even the specs for our VGT call for 100hp to 310hp applications. The HE300 range that is. Kind of funny that they are using it on a 350hp engine.
Then swap on an HE431V or HE451Ve.

the biggest problem is nobody uses the exaust brake when they drive it unless they r pulling a trailer. if people would use it there wouldnt b all the replacments.
Bingo. :rockwoot:

the biggest problem is nobody uses the exaust brake when they drive it unless they r pulling a trailer. if people would use it there wouldnt b all the replacments. i have seen plenty of these turbos that are in great working conditions. and i have seen about 2 that were not...(aka sticking)and that is one that they didnt ever turn on the EB.

i use my eb all the time even durring daily driving. also on cold mornings it helps warm the truck up

Thats all on you then. There was nothing wrong with your old turbo at all. In fact the tech that pulled it probably sold it on ebay for a few hundred bucks.

Only for people that don't know anything about them (STR8 TQ, for example).

Bingo. :rockwoot:

yeah you are right i dont know anything about them. but i really dont care if i did. the dealer wanted to put a new part on for free so there for i said so ahead.

this got dumb.

if you like to tinker, put some sort of vgt/vnt on there.

if you want a decent single charger you can DD/tow with and not mess with it, put a 66/71-14 on it and call it a day.

I've ran a HE551V on a 12v....VGT works mechanically very well, I can only imagine the way it might work electronically on a 6.7L with a little extra snort...I have another HE551VE sitting here, but I'm not putting it on the 2010 for a long time...

But with the way the 12v was running (25psi launch at 1800RPM was NO PROBLEM), I'm still a fan of the bigger VGT's!

I'd love to find a HE451VeTi to try on my 2010 once the Smarty comes out and the warranty is on me.
Chris

That contradicts everything you said about it being awesome on the 6.7.

Wrong turbo for the wrong engine. Them failing has nothing to do with driving behavior. As much as people argue that it has nothing to do with it.

There has been every type of driving style posted with them failing and not failing.

The best place for MY he351v is where it is at now, in the garage some wheres buried under something else.

Has anyone ran a A5K on these 6.7s? I had one on my 03 and it spooled great for an auto truck. If i swap in a 3rd gen manifold does everything line up as far as piping and air filter tubing?

Back