turbo upgrades?

The stock HE351VGT is around 60mm??

The 2010, I can hardly break 38psi. I've had the GT3782R a few times into the 45-50 on the 5.9L. I think for a stock 6.7L truck, the GT3782R will work. I've pulled 450rwhp out the GT3782R on the 02 in the past. If it gets too hot, you can spray some water/methanol.

I don't tow anything close to what you guys are, so I don't need to have a big single.

The stock HE351VGT is around 60mm??

The 2010, I can hardly break 38psi. I've had the GT3782R a few times into the 45-50 on the 5.9L. I think for a stock 6.7L truck, the GT3782R will work. I've pulled 450rwhp out the GT3782R on the 02 in the past. If it gets too hot, you can spray some water/methanol.

I don't tow anything close to what you guys are, so I don't need to have a big single.

Big singles suck to tow with...I like small singles or small twins for towing. No 62mm either, smaller than that;)

Chris

Chris you should run the GTX3582R, it spools wickly fast. I run mine with an external gate. You would be suprise how fast you get to 50psi. Spools like a HX-35, but has enough air to keep you happy. The GTX3582R will support 72lbs/min and is a 62.5mm compressor impeller. I change my turbos around lots, I get bored with the stock stuff.

Last edited:
Chris you should run the GTX3582R, it spools wickly fast. I run mine with an external gate. You would be suprise how fast you get to 50psi. Spools like a HX-35, but has enough air to keep you happy. The GTX3582R will support 72lbs/min and is a 62.5mm compressor impeller. I change my turbos around lots, I get bored with the stock stuff.

If I decide to make a change, I will definitely look at the new Garrett stuff...right now though, on the only truck I'm really playing with...the old 95 12v...I'm running an ED 58ET/65/12...Really a nice charger for towing. 380/998 on the dyno, less than 1200* on the pyro...very nice for the duties that thing sees:D

Chris

Just so I don't feel like a retard when reading all these turbo threads, are compounds and twins a different set-up, or is it just 2 names for the same thing?

If they're different do compounds use one turbo or the other where twins use both all the time?

Both twins and compounds use two turbos, the compounds use a big charger feeding a small charger which compresses the air further and adds some of its own. True twins are typically on v engines one turbo per bank of cylinders working independently of one another. In diesel talk you will typically hear compound turbos referred to as twins but most setups are a big turbo feeding a smaller one. Hence the "62 over 480" you will see a lot, even duramax and powerstroke v-8's will typically use a compound setup rather than twins. Compounds are great in a diesel because you can use a small turbo for good low end response and the big turbo kind of takes over at the top end, you can have the best of both worlds if you know what I mean. Both turbos will be working within their effective map rather than pushing one really hard or dealing with the lag of a single big charger. Hope that helps.

Im bumping this thread a little.

Ive got a 2007.5 6.7, and curious if anyone has swapped to the HE451VE, and what they thought.

I love the EB, and use it every day. Its something I dont want to give up. I dont want a compound setup ( yet) and want to keep the VGT/VNT.

I use the truck every day, and the trailer combined with the truck weighs 28k loaded which gets used about once a month.

I dont mind building my own supporting parts ( Down pipe, manifold, etc)

Louis

Both twins and compounds use two turbos, the compounds use a big charger feeding a small charger which compresses the air further and adds some of its own. True twins are typically on v engines one turbo per bank of cylinders working independently of one another. In diesel talk you will typically hear compound turbos referred to as twins but most setups are a big turbo feeding a smaller one. Hence the "62 over 480" you will see a lot, even duramax and powerstroke v-8's will typically use a compound setup rather than twins. Compounds are great in a diesel because you can use a small turbo for good low end response and the big turbo kind of takes over at the top end, you can have the best of both worlds if you know what I mean. Both turbos will be working within their effective map rather than pushing one really hard or dealing with the lag of a single big charger. Hope that helps.

That makes clears everything up. Thank you. That's how I thought it was but from reading all the posts and seeing lots of posts talking about twins and compounds on the Cummins I just wanted to make sure I was understanding what I was reading.

I put a SB 66/74/14 on mine had a II twin with the stock charger the twin kit was fine and would pull 50 lbs with stock injectors and fass 150
the single is awsome I put it on a stainless diesel 2nd gen manifold and flipped it(plan on big twins) and injectors after duel cp3, but anyway the 6.7's wake up big time with more air to them, I hit 42 lbs right now (need more fuel to help boost) but if you really like your exhaust brake not sure what to tell ya

If i were to go with a SB66, what other mods would i need to go with it. At the moment all i have is a mini maxx and 5" TBE. Do you need studs with a non VGT turbo? I plan on doing a lot to this truck, but it will probably be a pretty slow process. Without any other mods would a relatively stock 6.7 spool a SB66 turbo?

If i were to go with a SB66, what other mods would i need to go with it. At the moment all i have is a mini maxx and 5" TBE. Do you need studs with a non VGT turbo? I plan on doing a lot to this truck, but it will probably be a pretty slow process. Without any other mods would a relatively stock 6.7 spool a SB66 turbo?

Yes it will spool it just fine. One of my work trucks has a SB 66, stock head bolts, and stock fueling. It also tows about 10-20k lbs all day.

Ok thanks, which manifold would be the best to go with? 2nd or 3rd gen? Is the 2nd gen worth all the extra work you have to do to make it fit?

For that turbo, 3rd gen is the easiest. If you plan on higher HP in the near future, I would go ahead with the 2nd gen manifold, with a T4 flange. That's the route we took on my race truck, and I honestly like it better. I can understand why you would want the 3rd gen though.

Or run a S366 on a 3rd gen T-4...that's my setup and it's wonderful!!!

If i went with an s366 what all would i need to make it work on a 6.7? With the 3rd gen manifold, my CAI and downpipe would work wouldn't it? I don't know much about turbos, so what exact size would i need to go with to make sure im ordering the right one?

For that turbo, 3rd gen is the easiest. If you plan on higher HP in the near future, I would go ahead with the 2nd gen manifold, with a T4 flange. That's the route we took on my race truck, and I honestly like it better. I can understand why you would want the 3rd gen though.

I tried to pm you back, but i dont have enough posts yet to send pm's. Ill pm you on the cummins forum.

I put a SB 66/74/14 on mine had a II twin with the stock charger the twin kit was fine and would pull 50 lbs with stock injectors and fass 150
the single is awsome I put it on a stainless diesel 2nd gen manifold and flipped it(plan on big twins) and injectors after duel cp3, but anyway the 6.7's wake up big time with more air to them, I hit 42 lbs right now (need more fuel to help boost) but if you really like your exhaust brake not sure what to tell ya

Why did you pull the twins to get a single? Just asking...

By the time I get a 66 and a new manifold and downpipe it isn't much less than the II twin kit which comes with CAI.

Why did you pull the twins to get a single? Just asking...

By the time I get a 66 and a new manifold and downpipe it isn't much less than the II twin kit which comes with CAI.

well the twin kit was fine, but I wanted to get rid of the stock charger and got the 66 and 2nd gen manifold and fliped it because I plan on a bigger twin kit in the future with a big s400 or a s500 under the 66
I modifide the down pipe myself to work for now and made my intercooler pipe and won't have to change it later, I plan on building my piping myself
(work part time for a guy that builds pulling tractors and do alot of that kind of fab work, welding)
so thats why I went that rought and I got an awsome deal on the 66 and the manifold was 650$ from stainless diesel and IC pipe 150$ ss elbo's

I'm one of those guys that likes the e-brake and the VGT (which you guys are saying wouldn't be missed with the 66.

So that leaves only the e-brake.

With your twin setup I guess it wouldn't spool any faster on the low end than stock since the VGT is the primary. is that right?

I'm one of those guys that likes the e-brake and the VGT (which you guys are saying wouldn't be missed with the 66.

So that leaves only the e-brake.

With your twin setup I guess it wouldn't spool any faster on the low end than stock since the VGT is the primary. is that right?

the II kit spooled pretty quick, I thought it spooled quicker than just the stock VGT it'self
the 66 by it'self spools better than the VGT and I never used the exhaust brake the whole time i've had the truck and have 79k on it know and bought it with 23 miles on it and d-bagged it with 3800 miles

Back