turbo upgrades?

call up fleece performance... it's basically the stock turbo's big brother, with their "magic" box, it's plug & play... fully functional. Needs to be mounted on 2nd gen style manifold with corrected stud placement on the turbo flange to work with this guy

i dont see it on there web site is that what you are running

yea I thought about doing the VGT route but that was at least triple the cost of my 66/71 and I couldnt be happier with the performance of this "20 yr old tech"

aint broke dont fix!

would this he451ve be a direct bolt on for a 08 6.7L and does it still have the exhaust brake

You would still need a second gen manifold, different down pipe, different coolant lines, and I think I saw somewhere the harness is different or something. Fleece could hook you up tho. You would also need a blank manifold you could drill and tap cause the holes on the exhaust housing wouldn't match up.

sounds like if i want to keep my exhaust brake i need a set of twins ????

Yes That is the case, But you will still have drive pressure issues, the brake isnt that good for the life of the head gasket either.

all of the time during the summer about 10k ( camper ) and some times over 15k when ever ( big bobcat) and even tho its a 3/4 ton. i might need to pull around 20k every once in a blue moon. hopefully i dont need to tow 20k tho

I agree with this

Curious as to why the EB is harmful to the Headgasket. BIG rigs have been runnign exhasut brakes for ever with 80K plus and not had headgasket failure issues. If we are referring to the DP created by the EB remember that those drive pressures are during 0% throttle which means there is very little fueling (idle) low EGTS and cylinder pressures are ata minimum so the 70 lbs of added DP is nill during these times

Brake on a big rig, isn't in the turbo. It's mechanically different. If you are in the middle of detonation in the cyl, while the veins are closing in the turbo, and restricting all that pressure. Bing batt a boom, ARP 10,000's won't helpLOL

true they are different but there is a delay in EB function so I dont think it will go from WOT to full EB instantly. IDK the turbo guys that made these are smarter than me :lolly:thank god.

I have seen more than a couple 6.7's, with blown gaskets, and the EB keeps coming on at random while driving down the road. If it's closing while you're in the throttle, it can't be a good thing. Jmo, I'm not as smart as them, myself

That would definately be a bad thing Aron if and I have heard it has, come on under throttle when it malfunction, that would be detrimental:ft:. I look forward to the second gen of the VGT. I think the tech is on track just not at the bullseye persay.

this he451 you talk about i have never heard of it. i would like to know more info on it. size, does it still have an exhaust brake, rated boost pressure

The he451 is found on a cummins ISX I believe. I want to say the engine is around 15 liters or so. I think it would be nice to have a good sized turbo like that with vgt. Get all the air you need and may not have to run a bunch of plumbing for a second charger. Worth looking into I think.

this he451 you talk about i have never heard of it. i would like to know more info on it. size, does it still have an exhaust brake, rated boost pressure
The he451 is found on a cummins ISX I believe. I want to say the engine is around 15 liters or so.

Its used on ISL and ISM engines which are 9.8L and 11L. All VGT/VNT turbos naturally have an exhaust brake capability.

the brake isnt that good for the life of the head gasket either.
That is false. Combustion is in the thousands of psi, 70psi of backpressure means nothing to the engine and headgasket.

Brake on a big rig, isn't in the turbo.
On VGT equipped engines it is. The exhaust brake combined with the jakes is how Cummins can get 600hp of braking power out of 450hp engines.

and the EB keeps coming on at random while driving down the road.
There is no such thing as an exhaust brake on a VGT turbo, its only a name for a function. What you're seeing is a failure of the vane position controller which has no relation to the exhaust brake function.

I look forward to the second gen of the VGT.
What is used on the 6.7L dodge is already fourth generation and Holset is up to the seventh on 2012 emissions engines.

If an HE451Ve is too small you could upgrade to an HE551V or HE561Ve from an ISX.

Attachments

• HolsetHE551V.jpg
    HolsetHE551V.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 0
The cummins ISL is actually 8.9 liters, and having a vane controller that can fail and close the vanes while you are pushing hard on the engine like we do is a very bad idea and will blow your head gaskets. Anyone else notice that the Fords never really blew head gaskets until the VGT was introduced in the 6.0 then the same block and a little redesign (6.4) with a gated big charger does not really blow head gaskets. Then along comes the 6.7 cummins that blows head gaskets left and right at a power level under 500 hp oh its got a VGT doesn't it, the 5.9's did not blow head gaskets unless you were pushing really hard with too small of a turbo. I have noticed this time and again that is why I took off the VGT right away and never have blown a head gasket. I really love what the VGT can do as far as performance but the electronics are not there yet to run them in a performance application, when they are it will change everything but for now I would stay fixed geometry. Another thing to consider is the VGT turbos with moving parts do not like soot load at all and we make a lot of soot in the way we run these trucks, eventually they will fail and you will have to fix them somehow. Dodge does that by replacing the failed turbo the list price is really high. There is really not a rebuild kit for them if certain parts fail you are screwed anyway take it for what it is worth I would caution to stay with tried and true until we stop seeing failures at stock power levels at least. $.02

The cummins ISL is actually 8.9 liters, and having a vane controller that can fail and close the vanes while you are pushing hard on the engine like we do is a very bad idea and will blow your head gaskets.
The "vane closing" issue is related to Dodge and their programming specs, not Cummins. The are hundreds of thousands of VGTs in operation outside of Dodge that don't do that.
The fleet I work for has 120 ISL and ISM engines with VGT turbos, the worst we see is the occasional oil leak from the RPM sensor.

The cummins ISL is actually 8.9 liters
9.8L, actually.

Anyone else notice that the Fords never really blew head gaskets until the VGT was introduced in the 6.0 then the same block and a little redesign (6.4) with a gated big charger does not really blow head gaskets.
Also notice they went from 6 bolts per cylinder on the 7.3 to 4 on the 6.0? VGT doesn't make any difference to the ecngine except during off the line acceleration.

FYI, the cause of head gasket failures in the 6.0 is due to the EGR cooler not the turbo.

Then along comes the 6.7 cummins that blows head gaskets left and right at a power level under 500 hp oh its got a VGT doesn't it, the 5.9's did not blow head gaskets unless you were pushing really hard with too small of a turbo.
Thats because the larger bore means thinner headgasket material between edges.

Also another FYI, the 5.9L was used with a VGT turbo (HE341Ve) from 2005-2007 in Ford applications without any headgasket issues.

I really love what the VGT can do as far as performance but the electronics are not there yet to run them in a performance application
Then why have I done it successfully with a mechanical controller for the last 5 years?

Another thing to consider is the VGT turbos with moving parts do not like soot load at all and we make a lot of soot in the way we run these trucks
Wrong. The only ones that soot load are granny drivers that only use their truck to commute.

eventually they will fail and you will have to fix them somehow.
Yes, clean them. Takes about 40 minutes every 2 years.

Dodge does that by replacing the failed turbo the list price is really high.
Under warranty, who cares? You can get perfectly good used ones on eBay for under $200. I bought one that looked almost fresh out of the box for $175 with shipping.

Last edited:
Back