turbo upgrades?

I haven't heard about many 6.7's blowing HG's in stock form :confused:

Well, I'm not in stock form per say. But I personally know two guys who have had blown HG's in completely stock form. One under 20k miles and one around 50k. Both of them work with me and see 80/20 hwy/city miles. We travel alot.

well, that's no bueno! I guess the added displacement and the high drive pressure from the little stock turbo are a bad mix.

it's crazy what you can get away with on a 5.9 CR compared to previous gens

There is almost no cylinder wall between the cylinders. I can see that a 6.7L will have more issues than a 5.9L

How are you guys doing your 6.7L orings in the head?

Well, I'm not in stock form per say. But I personally know two guys who have had blown HG's in completely stock form. One under 20k miles and one around 50k. Both of them work with me and see 80/20 hwy/city miles. We travel alot.

my 6.7l has just over 100k on it and have been pulling a 8k to 12k pound trailer every day of its life for the last 80k miles with mp8 and edge on it for 95k miles and have had zero problems with my head gasket so not all 6.7l have this problem

my 6.7l has just over 100k on it and have been pulling a 8k to 12k pound trailer every day of its life for the last 80k miles with mp8 and edge on it for 95k miles and have had zero problems with my head gasket so not all 6.7l have this problem

My gramps hasn't blown his yet either and hes got 200k miles on his.

My gramps hasn't blown his yet either and hes got 200k miles on his.

I think both of the guys I know fell victim to not so tight head bolts. Course there are 8 6.7's other than those guys at work, and none of them have had problems, including mine. And who's sig says 10's with stock hg?? Was that yours rjp?? Or Acorn's(Ran's)?? I love the truck. More than a couple of people have tried to convince me to leave mine alone and pick up a 2nd or 3rd gen to mod. Its easier, cheaper. I'm going to stay with mine.

I do have one question. This P-Pump stuff. I saw one today at B&G's shop. He told me that one cost 4500. WTF...Damn. I should go home now cuz I got broke just looking it at. Is that really necessary for the 6.7 to make decent power. I don't want 1200 hp. It was on a 89 or 90 dodge. :umno:

I think both of the guys I know fell victim to not so tight head bolts. Course there are 8 6.7's other than those guys at work, and none of them have had problems, including mine. And who's sig says 10's with stock hg?? Was that yours rjp?? Or Acorn's(Ran's)?? I love the truck. More than a couple of people have tried to convince me to leave mine alone and pick up a 2nd or 3rd gen to mod. Its easier, cheaper. I'm going to stay with mine.

I do have one question. This P-Pump stuff. I saw one today at B&G's shop. He told me that one cost 4500. WTF...Damn. I should go home now cuz I got broke just looking it at. Is that really necessary for the 6.7 to make decent power. I don't want 1200 hp. It was on a 89 or 90 dodge. :umno:

are you asking if P-pumping is necessary to make good power with a 6.7l ,if so I am going to say no its not CR can make big power. Either way though power is not cheap. Just my .02

are you asking if P-pumping is necessary to make good power with a 6.7l ,if so I am going to say no its not CR can make big power. Either way though power is not cheap. Just my .02

Yup. Already figured that out. (Power=Empty Pockets)..... No I just saw one of these on a truck and have heard them being thrown around on here. I understand what it is, well sort of. Its just a fuel pump on steriods right??? I guess I should go back to research before I start asking questions again. I haven't even started on the fuel side of it. Glad to know I don't need one, hell that's a bunch of mods.....

I'm not sure but I'd be willing to bet it would be a pita to switch CP3s are the way to go IMO

wrks for me. i need to focus on the neebie mods first anyway. like and intake horn, or better yet studs and an actual transmission that won't puke on me...

I'm love'n my passenger horn! Fit perfect, o-ring for ease of removal, new fuel line...etc. Great... great product.

Wish that was the case with my BOD horn ... I curse Buck every time i have to re/re it...

Sorry for the post jack ..

I am running a Silver 66 with a HTT stainless 3rd Gen T3 and love it.. I do wish I went with a T4 now as I am looking at going larger ... BUT they are not that much to buy a new one...

Also Lots of guys looking to buy used ones...

Last edited:
Wish that was the case with my BOD horn ... I curse Buck every time i have to re/re it...

Sorry for the post jack ..

I am running a Silver 66 with a HTT stainless 3rd Gen T3 and love it.. I do wish I went with a T4 now as I am looking at going larger ... BUT they are not that much to buy a new one...

Also Lots of guys looking to buy used ones...

whats wrong with ur bod horn? How do u like that 66? Going larger huh? Wanna sell it.:Cheer:

K guys, So from what I am seeing the 66/74/14 is the popular choice for a fixed geometry single charger. I really would like some opinions on what turbo I should go with based on my goals and I don't want to start a new thread as this one fits my questions.
My goals and needs out of the truck are: 550-600 rwhp, mid to low 13's, daily driven, still be able to tow up to 12-14k, and decent fuel mileage. What is the ideal turbo for someone like me with these goals? I would like to keep the price on the set up lower but I realize that quality costs money.
Thanks!

K guys, So from what I am seeing the 66/74/14 is the popular choice for a fixed geometry single charger. I really would like some opinions on what turbo I should go with based on my goals and I don't want to start a new thread as this one fits my questions.
My goals and needs out of the truck are: 550-600 rwhp, mid to low 13's, daily driven, still be able to tow up to 12-14k, and decent fuel mileage. What is the ideal turbo for someone like me with these goals? I would like to keep the price on the set up lower but I realize that quality costs money.
Thanks!

I'm going with a 2nd gen manifold and a s366 turbo. Thats what i've been advised to do. Base turbo is like 800, then manifold is 300-750 depending on who's u buy. This will be my first step, after that its studs, airdog, cp3 mod, then tranny. Then either make that a twin or go with a big single. But ur right, everybody likes the 66, shld fit perfect with what u want.:Cheer:

whats wrong with ur bod horn? How do u like that 66? Going larger huh? Wanna sell it.:Cheer:

The flange is not square .. warped and has been since day 1. The bolt holes dont line up. The dipstick bracket cracks the valve cover over time and the dipstick tube 2 x. the injector tube cut out is too small and not in the correct position. I have bought 2 x things from Buck and both have been made wrong and taken MONTHS to get resolved or are un-resolved. ... sorry ... turning my rant off...

Yes .. the 66 is for sale with the HTT 3rd gen manifold for 1500 plus the trip.

:thankyou2:

Last edited:
The flange is not square .. warped and has been since day 1. The bolt holes dont line up. The dipstick bracket cracks the valve cover over time and the dipstick tube 2 x. the injector tube cut out is too small and not in the correct position. I have bought 2 x things from Buck and both have been made wrong and taken MONTHS to get resolved or are un-resolved. ... sorry ... turning my rant off...

Yes .. the 66 is for sale with the HTT 3rd gen manifold for 1500 plus the trip.

:thankyou2:

Oh. That's no good. I guess you never can tell.

How does fuel mileage compare with a fixed geometry turbo.. such as a 66/74/14 compared to a VGT?

How about fuel mileage while towing?

The exhaust sound from these VGTs is enough to tempt me to go with a "regular" turbo. A 6.7 + fixed geometry turbo + 5" exhaust sounds greattttttt!

Couldn't tell you. I know that my mileage is pretty good when tuned down..and foot off it.. But mileage seems to be one of those demon's that some people have a good deal with and others don't.. Personally I sold my soul a long time ago....:hehe:

66/74/14 is the unanimous decision for a mild DD.... This should be T4 and wastegated correct? Maybe I missed it, but what are the advantages of a 2nd Gen manifold over a 3rd Gen?

I've also been looking at manufacturers for said Turbo and get fairly confused @ the specifics. Forcedseems to have good prices, any manufacturer suggestions?

Back