Udc results: Dyno/fuel mileage/daily driving/racing

gecoveyc

Diesel Nut
Here is my results after using UDC on my personal truck for the past 2 weeks compared to my best SSR tune. I apologize if this seems very long winded but I wanted to try and include as much info as possible to help people understand each part and why I have the truck/tune setup the way I do. This review includes: Truck info, UDC tune, SSR tune, Dyno, fuel mileage, daily driving, and some racing results. Everything is divided by category so it’s easier for people to find the information that pertains to them.

***THE SAME UDC TUNE WAS USED FOR EVERY PART OF THIS REVIEW***

TRUCK:

-2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 4DR Shortbed
-NV5600 with Valair Street Triple Disk Clutch
-Smarty SSR/UDC
-Custom ED 66mm Billet 10 Blade Single w/custom spool valve by Dsquared
-120HP Injectors
-Wicked Stage 3 Single CP3
-HTT Intercooler
-Pusher Intake
-ATS 3 piece 2nd gen Manifold and turbo setup
-Hamilton 181/210 Cam, Valve Springs, Pushrod
-Traction bars and a lot of other things but that is the majority of the important stuff

UDC TUNE:

I attended the Out West Dyno Day sponsored by Taquache Motorsports, Valair Clutches, and Hoss Outfitters in Midland, TX. I technically won highest HP fuel only but there was at least one sled puller truck there that would have blown mine out of the water on a different dyno. I spent about 10-12 hours writing and smoothing my UDC base tune over 3 days before I ever loaded it into the truck and only had to make minor adjustments to the RP and TQ tables after loading it into the truck for the first time. I made the final adjustments the night before I drove to Midland for the event.

First of all, I did not write and “all out” biggest power tune this first time being on the safe side. I still have room to increase power with this tune if I decide too. My goal was to write a good all-around tune to cover everything (daily driving, decent dyno numbers, decent fuel mileage, and the ability to kick some A$$ on the street), and so far it has done exactly what I wanted it too.
Also, I wrote this tune to accommodate for running a bigger single on a 6 speed truck in the Amarillo area. For the people that don’t know, Amarillo has extremely crappy thin air and is not much fun for bigger single turboes. For instance, in the summer our DA averages 7600+ ft. Not saying it’s the worst but it’s not exactly optimal.

SSR TUNE:

The SSR tune I ran and daily drove with took me several months to get dialed in but I feel it was the best one that ever ran on my truck. It was using the SSR 1.7 software. Using this tune, I made 743HP and 1537 FT/LBS on John Isaacs’ load bearing dyno (FLOOR IT DIESEL), on September 8th at a local diesel event I hosted with the help of Davematthews. John still hasn’t mailed us the dyno graphs from the event so I do not have them to show ya’ll for this review at this time but David can vouche for the numbers as he was standing there too when I ran it. I used this same exact SSR tune as a comparison for this review.

THE DYNO:

The dyno used for these comparisons was Hoss Outfitters’ Dyno Jet 248 Inertia Dyno. The numbers were lower across the board for guys running bigger singles but it is still very useful info.

DYNO RESULTS:

I made 6 pulls total: 3 using my UDC tune and 3 using my SSR tune and we drove our own trucks on the dyno. All 6 pulls were within an hour at the same temperature and conditions.
Here is a picture of the graphs. The reason I have the info covered up is because they printed this graph out with all 6 of my pulls, 2 of them twice, for a total of 8 graphs on the same page and they were all out of order and kind of confusing. Also, as you’ll notice, the graphs are done by MPH and not RPMs. I did 1 pull with each tune in 5th gear and the other 4 pulls in 6th.

Highest SSR Tune Pull: 641.19HP
Highest UDC Tune Pull: 667.38HP

2012-12-070010091024x768.jpg

Here is a video of the 667HP pull using UDC

Maverick Midland Dyno Run-12/1/12 - YouTube

Here is a shot of the results board from the event. The truck that made 829hp was my buddy Thomas’ truck (TCalvin on here). He won the highest number of the day using a 250 shot of nitrous and made 614hp on fuel only. He has one badazz truck.

GOPR02941024x768.jpg

So using my base daily driving tune with UDC I gained 26.19hp over my best SSR tune. One main thing I noticed driving the truck on the dyno is the truck made the power with UDC MUCH easier and smoother than with the SSR tune. Remember this UDC tune was not meant to get the highest number possible on the dyno and that it potentially could have made even more power with some adjustments. I didn’t mess with the tune this time because I was nearly 300 miles from home and playing it safe.

FUEL MILEAGE:

I daily drive my truck but do not usually keep up with fuel mileage much.

SSR: I didn’t ever really keep up with fuel mileage much using SSR but when I did it was usually in the 15-17MPG range. It was always very difficult to tune the low end smoke out of my truck with the 66 and our thin air in my area.

UDC Trip #1: This trip included driving from my shop in Amarillo straight to Odessa, all highway miles (~260 miles), where I spent the night. Then drove from Odessa to Midland ~15 miles to the dyno event where I did all 6 pulls and a little bit of goofy hot rodding, and then drove back to Odessa for another night. All of this on the same tank. For the record, I averaged 75-80MPH all the way to Odessa from Amarillo because I was 3 hours late getting out of town. Between the spool valve and how I have my cruise range of my UDC tune setup, I average 9-12 PSI boost at those speeds. Please understand that between the speeds and boost levels at cruise I could potentially up my fuel mileage by adjusting my tune and going the speed limit but o well. All of this was done on the same tank.

TRIP #1: 16.6 MPG

UDC Trip #2: This trip was strictly highway miles from Odessa to Amarillo (~260 miles). I was in a hurry to get home so I was driving a little fast. The first half of the trip I averaged 80-90MPH (~15psi boost at cruise) and the last half I averaged 75-80MPH. Made it home in a little over 3 hours. Once again drving the speed limit and adjusting my cruise range of the tune to drop boost would potentially increase fuel mileage, but I don’t have those results for this review.

TRIP #2: 18.7 MPG

I don’t really care about fuel mileage but you will never hear me complain about these results especially with how fast I was driving. UDC has basically given me the ability to haul A$$ on the highway in a 700+hp truck and still get decent/good mileage.

RACING (STREET):

*Discalimer* Before anyone jumps my rear for street racing, this is about as legal and safe as it gets. Safety is of the upmost importance to me when doing stuff like this. We actually had permission from the Sherriff’s department to do this. It helps when you live in a small town and are on a first name basis with the Sherriff of the county. This was done on a wide, deserted, county road in the middle of nowhere completely absent of other vehicles.

How I have my truck setup for daily driving at all times is a little unorthodox but every part of it has a specific purpose. I run 33.50x13.50x18 8ply Nitto Terra Grapplers with 30 psi in them. People ask me all the time why I run 18s instead of 20s and I’ll tell exactly why. 18s allow for 2 more inches of sidewall to absorb shock and get better traction as opposed to 20s with the same size tires. I run with 30 psi (borderline flat) for the same reason, traction. I also have traction bars that help the cause.
The reason I included this information is because, in each of these videos, it appears that the other trucks hang with mine for the first part of the race. That is because as soon the race starts my traction ends and I am fighting to keep it from fish tailing into the other truck or off the road. In 3rd and 4th I have no traction and 5th squeaks and then hooks and that is when my truck finally takes off. The UDC tune has allowed me to tune my truck to spool the turbo so much faster and overall smoother in a race.
There aren’t any real high HP trucks running around in my area so I got 3 of my customers trucks to come out for these races/videos. There are not really comparable to my truck but it’s the best I had to work with for this review since all the tracks are closed for the winter. Once again these races were done using the exact same UDC tune.

I APOLIGIZE THESE VIDEOS ARE DARK AND YOU CAN’T REALLY SEE MUCH

This first video is against a 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 2WD 6 Speed running a Smarty TNTR, intake, DD Valair Clutch, and a handful of other things. It’s hard to tell in the video but the best we could guess at the end of the race, I beat him by about 3 18-wheeler lengths. We’re going to attempt to make some more race videos in the day light next chance we get so we can tell better.

Maverick vs Paydon - YouTube

This video is against a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 with ATS Auto Tranny, Smarty TNT, FASS 150, 100HP injectors, Industrial Hot Rod VP44, intake, ect. Best we can tell mine won by about 3 18-wheeler lengths again.

Maverick vs Blake - YouTube

This video was against a 2011 Ford F-250 4x4 running and H&S XRT Pro.

Maverick vs 2011 6.7L F-250 - YouTube

DAILY DRIVING:

I cannot say enough good things about how much more drive-able my truck is now with the UDC tuning. It wasn’t bad using the SSR but it is night and day better and smoother with the UDC. Smoke is down an extreme amount. Easier to build boost. Spool up is now about 1-2000 RPMs sooner than it was using SSR. My EGTs are down 100-200* at cruise and WOT which is awesome. I had a little bit of injector rattle down low after the very first tune but adjusted it the same day before the Midland Dyno event and fixed it very easily.

I’m not going to ramble on about daily driving but if anyone has any specific questions about the drive-ability of this setup on my truck feel free to ask anything you like. I am more than happy to share any and all information about my truck and setup and tune.

I probably left out a lot of useful information I meant to include in this review but I hope it was somewhat helpful and informative. Long story short, I would recommend UDC to anyone and everyone, and I tune with EFI Live as well for my customers vehicles. EFI has a lot more options and tables to modify but UDC is much simpler for the everyday person to use on their vehicle and get the same results. People will get in here and start arguing about EFI VS SMARTY UDC like they always do but at this point, you can get the same results, power, and drive-ability from UDC as you can from EFI. Only downfall of using UDC is you cannot data log….but I’m getting by just fine without it. Cheers and happy tuning :thumbsup:

Nice write up. :thumbup: I just started messing with the UDC and haven't competed a tune. More or less getting familiar with it. I'm look to tune mine for similar use as yours.

Sent from Razr Maxx

Nice write up. :thumbup: I just started messing with the UDC and haven't competed a tune. More or less getting familiar with it. I'm look to tune mine for similar use as yours.

Sent from Razr Maxx

Thank you. It takes some time to get a good smooth base tune written but once you do it's not too hard to make adjustments in specific spots.

Great info!

It's nice seeing other people as happy with UDC as I am.

Same Same ^^^^ I have several for the SO6 if anyone is interested.

Here ya go fellas sorry I forgot to post them yesterday

Durationpicturegraph.png

I haven't had time to smooth this one completely out yet but it works great

RAILPRESSUREPICTUREGRAPH.png

TIMINGPICTUREGRAPH.png

TQPICTUREGRAPH.png

I wonder how this would be to the Beta 4.2 I am currently running. I am real gun shy of changing tunes becouse this one works the best so far and do not want to loose it.

I wonder how this would be to the Beta 4.2 I am currently running. I am real gun shy of changing tunes becouse this one works the best so far and do not want to loose it.

I was running 4.01 then had to update to the latest TNT/r ran that for a week. Yesterday I uploaded my first udc tune and it gets more fun to drive each time.

In my honest opinion, UDC is not comparable to any version of tunes that have ever been available through a Smarty device. Jr., SR, SSR, Catcher, Revo, TNTR (new or old) or any of the beta tunes. I haven't tried all of them by any means but I have personally run S06 Catcher, Revo, and TNTR, and a couple of the betas including 4.2, not to mention Banks 6 gun w/PDA, Diablosport, MP8, Edge, Bullydog crazy larry and regular triple dog tunes and different combinations of stcking. UDC is that much better than any box tune or stack that has ever been offered for out trucks. It gives you the power to create your own custom tune around your truck, environment, daily or specialized use. Whether that is a comparable tune to Beta 4.2, with tweaks to make it less smoky and more powerful, or the basic JR. tune for towing. You have the power to create whatever tune you want specific for your truck.

Funny you say that! Thats what I call my truck.

I think I speak for most of the people in here when I say, thank you for directly contributing to the demise of our entire sport if you think a smoke show is somehow cute or cool. Especially with everything that is going on with the 07.5+ trucks. :clap::clap::clap:

I think I speak for most of the people in here when I say, thank you for directly contributing to the demise of our entire sport if you think a smoke show is somehow cute or cool. Especially with everything that is going on with the 07.5+ trucks. :clap::clap::clap:
did not know that you criticized peoples sled pull trucks! Everyone has a name for there truck.

Nice.

did not know that you criticized peoples sled pull trucks! Everyone has a name for there truck.

Nice.

Sorry I thought you were referring to the truck in your avatar on the street. I apologize for going off. If you're on these forums a lot or run a shop and get asked advice on how to produce more black smoke you get pretty testy over it so I apologize for popping off. Especially since I've had 4 people in the shop this week asking if I would write them a smoke tune.

I have a few different dodges, I am addicted to diesel fuel!! I have tried lots of different combinations of things. The truck I was thinking about is the one in my avatar, I am looking to make it more streetable definatly lower smoke with out sacrificing HP. I have always felt that there is hp hiding in my early 04 programming.

Do you write tunes for people?

Justin

Sounds like this is just what I need! My truck is just plain embarrassing to drive sometimes. This truck sees about 12kft empty once a week, and we tow over 11kft. When we go over the passes this truck NEVER stops hazing. If I didn't have a 6 speed it would be nearly undrivable with this TNT/R tuning.

Back