Udc results: Dyno/fuel mileage/daily driving/racing

Fixed it lol. If I can ever get caught up long enough I will do this test. Gotta find a built 06-07 to test with. I've got plenty of basic ones around here but nothing even close to fully built to get full blown results out of.

I tune with EFI live every day boss. I'm just not immature and naive enough to think it is the only product on the market that can produce those results. You can get the same resultswith MCC as well. Does EFI give us the capabilities to fine tune a little further with access to more maps.....sure....but as far as overall results, I'd put UDC against EFI live any day. The whole "EFI LIVE IS THE ONLY PRODUCT WORTH USING IN THE WORLD AND IF YOU DON'T USE IT YOU ARE STUPID AND INFERIOR" that everyone on here lives by is childish to say the least. :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1: :blahblah1:

I support EFI, UDC, and MCC equally through my shop and business, and until you or someone else directly shows me and the rest of the world a direct benefit of one over the other then I will continue to treat them as equals and you can take your bandwagon on down the road to someone who cares. :cheer:

As soon as I find a built 06-07 5.9 truck within driving range to test with, I will get these UDC vs. EFI results for you and everyone else because I know no one else will.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know I was talking to the wade of tuning, I tune all 3 aswell, I'd be up for your Efi vs udc challenge!! Funny how udc has no logging parameters... But let me guess you were the douchbag that used Efi to log a udc tuned truck!! Don't run your mouth before you know!! Your the one claiming that udc is better or equal and in same sentence saying ok Efi does have some better fine tuning?!?? Hmmm and to say udc is easier... Why cause its like comparing Atari to Xbox.... Your right when you don't know what your doing with a Xbox Atari would be easier... I'm done on this subject

Fixed it lol. If I can ever get caught up long enough I will do this test. Gotta find a built 06-07 to test with. I've got plenty of basic ones around here but nothing even close to fully built to get full blown results out of.

Wth are you talking about it can be a stock truck aslong as it is same truck who cares!!

strictly speaking hp/tq outlaw, what have you seen as far as gains when switching a well tuned udc truck to that same truck,no other hardware changes,when tuned with efi? I would like to see some results, as others would I am sure. I am not interested in its manners, streetability, I am ONLY talking about power, there are events that pay based on that alone.

I use udc aswell on my street truck and guys around here with 03-05 but for this guy to say that udc is easier and will make same power without facts is my call out! I've never done testing to say one is better then the other... But given Efi has logging and many more fueling parameters one would think Efi ESP on a single cp3 truck would make more power, I have control of Fca voltages which is huge on a single cp3 truck

IF I ever get my truck back on the road I'm down for some comparison tuning. :rockwoot:

IF I ever get my truck back on the road I'm down for some comparison tuning. :rockwoot:

Just waiting on you to get everything finalized and put back together and you were going to be the first person I called to use for the comparison. Everything up here is straight pipe and programmer and we don't have a dyno anymore. :bang

Oh I'm sorry I didn't know I was talking to the wade of tuning, I tune all 3 aswell, I'd be up for your Efi vs udc challenge!! Funny how udc has no logging parameters... But let me guess you were the douchbag that used Efi to log a udc tuned truck!! Don't run your mouth before you know!! Your the one claiming that udc is better or equal and in same sentence saying ok Efi does have some better fine tuning?!?? Hmmm and to say udc is easier... Why cause its like comparing Atari to Xbox.... Your right when you don't know what your doing with a Xbox Atari would be easier... I'm done on this subject

Wade of tuning...let's grow up a little. I'm not going to give you the argument you're looking for. I've done nothing to be called out on. Just stated facts of results I have seen (or have yet to see from anyone else).

How about instead of fighting and arguing we have an actual adult conversation about UDC and EFI and work together to get some real world results and facts, since neither you nor I have actual evidence to back our claims. I will begin by apologizing for my rant yesterday. It was a long day working on some PITA trucks in the shop and this thread got to be my outlet for the evening. Since you are a tuner and/or also work in a shop, I'm sure you can relate.

Does EFI give us data logging capabilites-yes. Do I wish UDC had data logging capabilities-yes. Do I wish I could tune my own personal 05 truck with EFI-yes. Is EFI or data logging necessary to create a good custom tune through UDC to provide all out power, reduced/no smoke, lower egts, fast spool up, broad power band, and overall daily driveability - NO. You and I both know that. Data logging is a tuning tool, about as useful as a dyno, another tuning tool. Neither one is necessary to produce the desired results. To fine tune them to their full potential, yes they are useful. I have not personally data logged a truck tuned with UDC using EFI, I have not had a need too, but even if I had I'm not sure why that makes me a douchebag. If anything it would help our cause in this discussion for more facts/evidence (which neither of us have at this time) between the tuning capabilities of each software. So maybe neither of us should be "running our mouths" before we know?!?!?!

Everything I have claimed as far as actual facts in this thread have been proven by the small amount of testing I was able to do back in November when UDC was first released. If you go back and read, I had UDC for about 3 days before the dyno event used for results. Obviously things have come a lot further since then. AND this review was not comparing UDC to EFI Live. It was a comparison between SSR and UDC. I apologize I don't have more information to share with everyone as we do not have a dyno within a couple hundred miles of my shop and the strip will be closed until April/May here. I have done the most with what I have available at this time. I do have customers across the country running my UDC tunes now and they have all reported back almost identical feedback as I get from my EFI customers. Takes a while longer to dial the UDC tunes in because of the lack of data logging, but overall the results have been pretty much identical.

If somewhere in this thread I happened to say UDC IS BETTER THAN EFI LIVE, let me know. All I have said is that the same overall benefitsand results of EFI and UDC are comparable and almost identical to this point. There has been no evidence to prove otherwise. I have said EFI and UDC both produce the same overall results and have also said EFI allows for more fine tuning. I don't see the error in my statements or anything false in them. If you do, please share your knowledge on the subject and we can compare opinions. Perhaps you have come across something that I haven't yet. The knowledge pool is ever growing.

I will go back on my previous statement of claiming UDC is easier than EFI as a whole. I think certain parts of each are easier than the other. One of the main things, hitting a smoothing button or lateral fill is much easier to use with EFI than having to write a complete tune by up/down arrows with UDC. UDC is easier to use in that it simplifies things down to the important maps needed for a good custom tune without having to deal with limiter tables, parameters, pre/main/post injection tables, ect. They both have their specific uses and everything EFI offers over UDC as far as finer tuning and more adjustable tables has its place, BUT for the majority for everyday trucks, it's just not necessary to get the results most people are looking for.

I know what I'm doing with an xbox, atari, EFI, and UDC. I can also tie my own shoes, work an iphone, use a typewriter and lots of other pointless things nobody cares about. Please do not try to insult my intelligence through a keyboard behind a screen name. You don't know me and I don't know you. We're not children and it's not necessary. That's what we have Wade and those other jackasses for. I'd much rather have a useful adult conversation on this subject instead of yet another EFI vs. UDC debate. Everybody fights over them all the time. How about we actually get some facts to back one of them up either way? It sounds like you have more trucks and time to actually do some of this testing than I do at the moment.

Wth are you talking about it can be a stock truck aslong as it is same truck who cares!!

I care, and so does pretty much everyone else I've ever talked too. We both know the overall streetability and peak power results of a basic truck with just a straight pipe, intake and tune would be almost identical comparing say a TNT Smarty tune, against a UDC tune, against an EFI live tune. And no one would really care about the results. The majority of the public, including myself, would rather see this type of test done using an 06-07 5.9 truck that is fully built to a similar level of mine or yours or the majority of people's trucks on this forum. And that will be the results I seek to actually compare these 2 custom tuning platforms.

I use udc aswell on my street truck and guys around here with 03-05 but for this guy to say that udc is easier and will make same power without facts is my call out! I've never done testing to say one is better then the other... But given Efi has logging and many more fueling parameters one would think Efi ESP on a single cp3 truck would make more power, I have control of Fca voltages which is huge on a single cp3 truck

This is one of the main things I wish I could actually put to the test. Especially on my own truck that uses a single CP3 that has trouble keeping up. But it also one of the many things that has yet to be proven that EFI can produce more power in this type of situation over UDC. No need for a call out. Just looking for real world results proving it either way. So far the results I have seen between 06-07 5.9s with similar setups (turbo, injectors, pumps, ect.) to a 04.5-05 truck running a UDC. If you can show me evidence of something different I will be more than happy to share the results to give my customers even more knowledge on the capabilities each tuning platform can provide for their trucks.

If I have come across that I do not like or support EFI, that is not the case. I think it is an excellent product and I have great success with it. I just refuse to black ball a product such as UDC or tell the public it is not an equally comparable product for their vehicle without actual proof.

wish both of ya could make it up to PA for spring fling, plenty of trucks will be there for the dyno event, and I am sure at least one would be willing to try both out. 3 23- 24 13, few short weeks away. one of the best dyno events the world over.

Wade of tuning...let's grow up a little. I'm not going to give you the argument you're looking for. I've done nothing to be called out on. Just stated facts of results I have seen (or have yet to see from anyone else).

How about instead of fighting and arguing we have an actual adult conversation about UDC and EFI and work together to get some real world results and facts, since neither you nor I have actual evidence to back our claims. I will begin by apologizing for my rant yesterday. It was a long day working on some PITA trucks in the shop and this thread got to be my outlet for the evening. Since you are a tuner and/or also work in a shop, I'm sure you can relate.

Does EFI give us data logging capabilites-yes. Do I wish UDC had data logging capabilities-yes. Do I wish I could tune my own personal 05 truck with EFI-yes. Is EFI or data logging necessary to create a good custom tune through UDC to provide all out power, reduced/no smoke, lower egts, fast spool up, broad power band, and overall daily driveability - NO. You and I both know that. Data logging is a tuning tool, about as useful as a dyno, another tuning tool. Neither one is necessary to produce the desired results. To fine tune them to their full potential, yes they are useful. I have not personally data logged a truck tuned with UDC using EFI, I have not had a need too, but even if I had I'm not sure why that makes me a douchebag. If anything it would help our cause in this discussion for more facts/evidence (which neither of us have at this time) between the tuning capabilities of each software. So maybe neither of us should be "running our mouths" before we know?!?!?!

Everything I have claimed as far as actual facts in this thread have been proven by the small amount of testing I was able to do back in November when UDC was first released. If you go back and read, I had UDC for about 3 days before the dyno event used for results. Obviously things have come a lot further since then. AND this review was not comparing UDC to EFI Live. It was a comparison between SSR and UDC. I apologize I don't have more information to share with everyone as we do not have a dyno within a couple hundred miles of my shop and the strip will be closed until April/May here. I have done the most with what I have available at this time. I do have customers across the country running my UDC tunes now and they have all reported back almost identical feedback as I get from my EFI customers. Takes a while longer to dial the UDC tunes in because of the lack of data logging, but overall the results have been pretty much identical.

If somewhere in this thread I happened to say UDC IS BETTER THAN EFI LIVE, let me know. All I have said is that the same overall benefitsand results of EFI and UDC are comparable and almost identical to this point. There has been no evidence to prove otherwise. I have said EFI and UDC both produce the same overall results and have also said EFI allows for more fine tuning. I don't see the error in my statements or anything false in them. If you do, please share your knowledge on the subject and we can compare opinions. Perhaps you have come across something that I haven't yet. The knowledge pool is ever growing.

I will go back on my previous statement of claiming UDC is easier than EFI as a whole. I think certain parts of each are easier than the other. One of the main things, hitting a smoothing button or lateral fill is much easier to use with EFI than having to write a complete tune by up/down arrows with UDC. UDC is easier to use in that it simplifies things down to the important maps needed for a good custom tune without having to deal with limiter tables, parameters, pre/main/post injection tables, ect. They both have their specific uses and everything EFI offers over UDC as far as finer tuning and more adjustable tables has its place, BUT for the majority for everyday trucks, it's just not necessary to get the results most people are looking for.

I know what I'm doing with an xbox, atari, EFI, and UDC. I can also tie my own shoes, work an iphone, use a typewriter and lots of other pointless things nobody cares about. Please do not try to insult my intelligence through a keyboard behind a screen name. You don't know me and I don't know you. We're not children and it's not necessary. That's what we have Wade and those other jackasses for. I'd much rather have a useful adult conversation on this subject instead of yet another EFI vs. UDC debate. Everybody fights over them all the time. How about we actually get some facts to back one of them up either way? It sounds like you have more trucks and time to actually do some of this testing than I do at the moment.

I care, and so does pretty much everyone else I've ever talked too. We both know the overall streetability and peak power results of a basic truck with just a straight pipe, intake and tune would be almost identical comparing say a TNT Smarty tune, against a UDC tune, against an EFI live tune. And no one would really care about the results. The majority of the public, including myself, would rather see this type of test done using an 06-07 5.9 truck that is fully built to a similar level of mine or yours or the majority of people's trucks on this forum. And that will be the results I seek to actually compare these 2 custom tuning platforms.

Very classy response Gecovey. I cannot speak for EFI live since it's not available for us yet, but I am running UDC. I am currently running a tune from Gecovey, and am extremely happy with the results. I have been running the Smarty for years, and the tune that Gecovey has made for me performs better in all aspects compared to anything that I've run before. Can you get more refined results from EFI live? Sure. But who knows when EFI will be available for us. Until it is available, UDC is by far the best thing we have going.

wish both of ya could make it up to PA for spring fling, plenty of trucks will be there for the dyno event, and I am sure at least one would be willing to try both out. 3 23- 24 13, few short weeks away. one of the best dyno events the world over.

x2, that would be great.

I wish I could make it as well. I've got 2 UDC customers in PA I'd like to actually meet as well as you Mike. Just can't get out of the shop to make that trip this year. Maybe Outlaw can make it and get us some results.

Very classy response Gecovey. I cannot speak for EFI live since it's not available for us yet, but I am running UDC. I am currently running a tune from Gecovey, and am extremely happy with the results. I have been running the Smarty for years, and the tune that Gecovey has made for me performs better in all aspects compared to anything that I've run before. Can you get more refined results from EFI live? Sure. But who knows when EFI will be available for us. Until it is available, UDC is by far the best thing we have going.

Thanks Jason. I've just seen these arguments/debates too many times and they never help anything or anyone. I'd rather put the fight aside and work together for some real results so we can actually relay the most accurate information on here and to our customers. :rockwoot:

I will apologize aswell, but you can't honestly think on a stock truck that a smarty TNT will produce the same power as Efi!! I can get 20-40hp out if timing you know aswell as I do that TNT is limited ssr is about right on the nail with timing, but TNT or TNT-r no

I will apologize aswell, but you can't honestly think on a stock truck that a smarty TNT will produce the same power as Efi!! I can get 20-40hp out if timing you know aswell as I do that TNT is limited ssr is about right on the nail with timing, but TNT or TNT-r no

Thank you. You are correct, I do not think a TNT tune would produce the same HP as a UDC, SSR, or EFI tune. I just meant as a popular tuning option as a comparison to test with. The majority of my customers are switching from TNT or a TNT/MP8 stack to UDC. It would just give them some information to show what kind of power is being held back simply from one of the highest horsepower "box" tunes available. Hell I gained nearly 30hp over my best SSR tune with my first run with a basic UDC tune.

Since the overall benefits from UDC/EFI custom tunes over box/TNT tunes effect all trucks from stock to fully built, it would be good to do the same tests on a mostly stock truck too.

I am in the process of talking to a couple different dyno shops in my area to possibly do the tests. The closest one I have at the moment is 110 miles away but I'm still determining if it's a good dyno for diesel. If not I'll have to travel 200-300 miles to the next dyno. I'll see what I can figure out.

1750 load cell will do the job. but the operator needs to know how to run it!

Last edited:
Mike, where about is the "Spring Fling" event in PA? I'm in Ohio maybe I could make it..

Back