upgraded ecm for the vp's!

BigB82789;1240454 One idea i had was to develop an adjustable pump gear like for a p pump. Maybe that way you could tune out the lose of bottom end that jumping a tooth may have. Obviously the new ecm would be better but it may be an option.[/QUOTE said:
A guy in Ky had one made dunno if he ever ran it he offered it to me years ago never took it , may give him a shout if I can think of his name again

If we can't get an ECM to raise the power up in the rpms maybe we can jump a tooth and find a way to bring the bottom end back down.

Thats the thing. A vp can't do negative timing. Only 24* one way.

I was thinking the VP did something with timing when its cold out but im not sure if it advanced or retarded it. i think VE pumps have the same thing and they take advantage of it to make more power. It must advance the timing if thats whats going on.

24 degrees worth of advance, you can't mechanically advance 5 degrees or whatever skipping a tooth then bring some of that back for the low end by retarding the VP internally.

I don't know if the max timing on a VP is 24 degrees or if it advances 24 degrees, ie the timing is 8 or 10 degrees or whatever at idle then adds 24 more for a total of 34 degrees.

Someone came up with a nice mod for the VE pumps that gave them a significant increase in timing range which really helped extend the power band of 1st Gen rigs. Basically a spacer piece that gives the advance piston a longer stroke.

Do 24vs like more timing than 12vs? From what I've been reading, 20-24* of timing is fairly popular with the modded crowd.

According to Chip, the mechanical advance can only move so far before it hits a wall. I asked him if he could modify my pump to get more movement and he said that it couldn't be done. His reason was that the ecm will limit me anyways. Hmmmmmm. Fix the ecm, then maybe we'll have something. Now we're talking!

Back