upgraded ecm for the vp's!

Programmable ECM's have been done before but they are not practical, a tuner is the way to go.

Marco started out making ECM's, I know this because I was a tester for him when he was making them, but it just wasn't practical to change the ECM every time you wanted to try a new program out ... especially on a hot motor. But he sure made some bad a$$ ECM's back in the day.

I'd like to see it happen for the remaining die hard VP guys but in my opinion it needs to be done through a tuner.

I would not be appossed to swapping ecm's. I just use it to pull. It takes a whole 10min while drinking a beer to swap

I would not be appossed to swapping ecm's. I just use it to pull. It takes a whole 10min while drinking a beer to swap

I think I see Mads electronics coming out with a new upgraded ecm for us vp guys that is gonna rock the world! It is called the "ECM POD". LOL Just plug it in & go.:woohoo:

I know on the TDR thread JDonaghue could adjust it in real time. What is impractical about that?

Edit: Looking over the thread again, I think I might be wrong about the real time part. However he could do it with the engine running. He also had the ability to remove the torque management by changing a single value.

Last edited:
I think I see Mads electronics coming out with a new upgraded ecm for us vp guys that is gonna rock the world! It is called the "ECM POD". LOL Just plug it in & go.:woohoo:

And they've been promising something new for the VP guys for how long? Riiigggghhhhhtttt.

I'm just waiting on a 2010 Smarty:D
Chris

I know on the TDR thread JDonaghue could adjust it in real time. What is impractical about that?

Marco also had an ECM that was adjustable on the fly however I never tested that one for him as we moved into the handheld tuner world soon there after.

That's great. For Marco. Didn't think the public was smart enough to keep from blowing their engines up or what? Maybe he didn't see any money in it?

I wish there was even a way to manipulate the signal going in/out of the ecm. I tried running 12v to my fuel pump, that was good for 100rpm. What other wire can control that part of the ecm which cuts power to the lift pump?

That's great. For Marco. Didn't think the public was smart enough to keep from blowing their engines up or what? Maybe he didn't see any money in it?

My guess is that there was a bigger market for a tuner set up vs actually swapping an ECM which would require you sending off your ECM, or some type of core charge etc ... plus I think the general public are more inclined to go the tuner route and keep there hands off the actual ECM.

And he still does it, just through his Smarty tuners.

Even with a fully unlocked ecm won't we still be needing a pump tap?

I have been working on this for quite some time, and it looks like others have been begging for this too. Some of the ideas here are spot on with what I am working on. My biggest issue is the time to get everything lined out so it does not look like a hacked up prototype. Obviously there is a market, but what is it worth in a bolt on kit?

I shared my ideas before with another company thinking we would work together on the product only to find they released some gears and acted like it was their idea. So forgive me if I am not too willing to spill all the beans. HOWEVER, I have several ways worked out on how to do everything.

BTW, I am referring to mechanical advance. We still need someone that will work on the electronic side of it.

Last edited:
The TDI uses a very similar pump VP37 and its good to 6000+ rpms , I have looked in to this , but in reality unless you’re just trying to make a statement by using a VP44 , the best bet is to start with a CR .
Sure the guys that have VP trucks can’t, but this is about high end, high dollar builds. Kind of like the guys that want to build a VE pump truck and spend big buck to have the highest hp VE

Greg, its good to know a similar pump will turn 6000rpm. I am always hearing a VP can NOT make power over 3500rpm, but then I hook to a 38,000 pound sled and run 3800 - 4000 rpm with a S-400 turbo. BTW, 1 1/2 years ago I was told I was stupid for putting a S-400 on a VP truck.

Now I will disagree with you on the CR comment. Not everyone can afford to build 3-4 engines per season. :bang I am still on my original engine for that matter, and its a rare occasion when a CR beats me. Next year may be different with CR engines running p-pump rpms. However, give me 5000 rpm and see what a VP will do.

I may P-pump someday, but for now, this VP is too much fun.

Back