upgraded ecm for the vp's!

Greg, its good to know a similar pump will turn 6000rpm. I am always hearing a VP can NOT make power over 3500rpm, but then I hook to a 38,000 pound sled and run 3800 - 4000 rpm with a S-400 turbo. BTW, 1 1/2 years ago I was told I was stupid for putting a S-400 on a VP truck.

Now I will disagree with you on the CR comment. Not everyone can afford to build 3-4 engines per season. :bang I am still on my original engine for that matter, and its a rare occasion when a CR beats me. Next year may be different with CR engines running p-pump rpms. However, give me 5000 rpm and see what a VP will do.

I may P-pump someday, but for now, this VP is too much fun.

Your truck was definitely turning some r's at Indy! Sounded good.

Subscribing to this thread. I am opening a shop in January and I am in the middle of building a VP truck. Why you may ask? To show what can be done with a VP to the average Joe. You guys keep the thread going. I would love to see someone solve the "RPM prison" the VP has us held in.

FYI: 2005 Jeep TJ also in the works. 12 valve, full out race.

The TDI uses a very similar pump VP37 and its good to 6000+ rpms , I have looked in to this , but in reality unless you’re just trying to make a statement by using a VP44 , the best bet is to start with a CR .
Sure the guys that have VP trucks can’t, but this is about high end, high dollar builds. Kind of like the guys that want to build a VE pump truck and spend big buck to have the highest hp VE

Whoa. Maybe we need to hang around some TDI boards. 6000 rpms out of a VP-44 would be the cat's @$$! Just reading about it makes the brain wheels turn...How much fun would this ECU program be plugged into a Cummins?

Volkswagen group Tdi engine with VP 37 injection pump - Open Biofuel Engine Development

Last edited:
I sent an E mail to this place:

TDTUNING.COM

Theyr'e reply hinted that turning 6 grand was no big deal but that they were'nt all that experienced with the Cummins or it's ECM. I am going to ask if the dealer specific VAG-COM units can custom interface with a VP-44 ECU or a Cummins ECM. It is used to diagnose AND ADJUST engine values on Bosch VP-37 injection pump platforms such as the VW TDI, Audi, Skoda, etc...

The VP-44 on board ECU and the Cummins can't be THAT different, right? Can't hurt to ask 'em, all they can say is no, I guess.

Does anyone know if VAG-COM can upload WinOLS chip tuning software?? Imma ask 'em that, too. It says it's Windows based. Hell, I got a laptop, a spare ECM AND my stock HO Vp-44. I will offer it up to this guy and let him play with it, maybe a few bucks for his time.

Man, get us to even 5000 rpm with a stage II Monster pump, I'll bet that will get some attention.....would sound good, too.

:pop: watching this one close I am finally getting my new prostreet truck headed in the right direction and some more rpm's are definately going to be needed.

Here is TD Tuning's reply to the E mail I sent:

Hi Brian,

I don’t have a great deal of experience with the Cummins ECU’s, but barring any mechanical hurdles, RPM limitations are largely software based. The TDI’s use a combination of fuel trims and then a hard cut limiter to keep engine speeds under control. All of these can be moved making the effective maximum RPM more of an issue of mechanical limitation and volumetric efficiency at the desired RPM.

Thanks,

-Mike

I replied back that we have what seems like a software limitation at 4000 RPM and we think that the VP 44 is capable of 6000 rpm in an off road only tune with all safety features and de fueling delayed or eliminated. Can you reccomend someone if not yourself who could experiment with an ECM and pump I am willing to provide as a test unit? A WinOLS operator perhaps, a couple hours of their time would be compensated and I will take care of all shipping.

Put one in your duramax, it would be sweet.
-Skeptical to see what this guy says. I don't think he understands that there has been so many fails trying to make a vp badazz.

LOL Don't be a hater cause you don't like Duramaxes.

Put one in your duramax, it would be sweet.
-Skeptical to see what this guy says. I don't think he understands that there has been so many fails trying to make a vp badazz.

This is a good point. I wonder if there is a limitation on the pump itself. The only manufacturer in the WinOLS Hex file with a VP is John Deere's 170 hp version.*bdh*

Remember that the VW guys get "big" power and rpms from the ve pump on their little diesels and the dodge guys do not. The cummins ve pumps are not known for their high rpm fueling either. They aren't limited by any electronics.

On a ve, compare the case size, cam/rotor diameter, etc. for a 4cyl and a 6cyl. The 4cyl guys have a lot more fill time in the same size pump than the 6cyl pumps.

I am not saying that the vp is the same as the ve, but maybe it isn't the electronics at all? I hope you guys find what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Back