which 6.0

injected79

im thinking about selling my 97 f-350 and getting into a 6.0. I have had two 7.3 trucks a 97 and an 01, my current truck is a 97 f-350 with a 12 valve in it. But now im ready for something new. I was thinking about a 6.0. i know they have had alot of head gasket problems, and egr issues. I was wondering if any of the trucks 03-07 were to say better or worse than another year. And if it matters im going to stick with a manual truck. Thanks ahead of time

i wouldnt, my father in law has an 04 6.0 with 36k on it, at 32k went to the dealer for a non cold start issue, came back 2 weeks later with a new short block. he was just glad it was under warrenty. last month we were coming back from bike week towing a trailer and began hearing a clunking sound which i thought was the rear end goign out, turned out to be the passenger rear brake assembly was rusted completely, he also needs new front rotors bc they are about to break in half and at only 36k. it runs good now, he just has no faith in it at all. good luck if you get one.

I would pass on a 03 due to Injector issues. Late 04 and newer have square EGR cooler which are a weaker design but remedies are out there. Plan on putting a oil cooler in it because most truck end up needing one.

I would nor be scared of one. Get a newer model so it falls under the ford warranty. Don't beat on it and plan on spending big money when it does decide to break. It looks like you done a little research on it, so you know where the weaknesses are. Stick with 06 and newer.

Just my opinion.

this is what scares me is all the bad i hear on these 6.0 engines, ]I cant afford a 6.4 or i would just go that way, the 7.3 engine i love but just seems like its getting dated to say. but its strong and faithfull. What would you guys do if you were to choose a newer ford truck

Last edited:
so the general idea is still stay far away from the 6.0, enless you want to throw some money at it

Why not get a common rail dodge or dmax if you want a newer truck? Both those are twice the engines with half the problems. Every engine has its quirks but why go with the one that is well know to have the most?

so the general idea is still stay far away from the 6.0, enless you want to throw some money at it

I'd buy another Leaker if I had the extra cash to put studs in it and the Bullet Proof Diesel oil cooler and EGR cooler on it.

Why not get a common rail dodge or dmax if you want a newer truck? Both those are twice the engines with half the problems. Every engine has its quirks but why go with the one that is well know to have the most?

I wont own a gm, atleast not until they put a real axle under the front of there trucks. and for dodge i want a truck with lock out hubs. I know im picky, but i wont own a truck that doesnt have a manual trans, with a manual t-case, solid axles with lock outs. Ford is the only one out there to do all of this. if it wasnt for the damn 6.0 problems it would make this alot easier.

o and thanks for the input from everybody
:Cheer:

A dodge can be converted to lock-outs. For less than the price of an EGR delete on a 6.0. They an also be had with a manual Tcase, manual trans, and a much stouter front axle.

My advice, buy whatever 6.0 you want and start collecting cummins swap parts

A dodge can be converted to lock-outs. For less than the price of an EGR delete on a 6.0. They an also be had with a manual Tcase, manual trans, and a much stouter front axle.

My advice, buy whatever 6.0 you want and start collecting cummins swap parts

Good sound advice right here!

by they way it looks i may just keep my 97 f-350 seems like iv already got one of the simplest, toughest, trucks that could be had.

but how do you figure the dodge front axle is stronger than the ford? 03 and newer is a dana 60 in a ford, i know the dodges are the aam axle but if youve looked at the shafts in then youve seen how much tapper they have in them. Just asking

only gas motors have dana 50's. i would put the ford drivetrain up against a dodge or a gm anyday

Back