Who is Big Bang Injection?

It's gettin' there....

Piston%202a%20compare.jpg

Impressive. I made some Pistons a few months back and all the detail is time consuming.

Here's the initial animation without analysis or the injector spray pattern.

This is spinning at 200 RPM's with 200 frames per second resolution.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UxH-INZcaQ[/ame]

Last edited:
Like I tried to explain to boy wonder earlier without being a complete prick....let's just assume I'm not just another dumb redneck wif a pick'em up truck.
The entire site should come with this disclaimer. For the the rednecks AND the Vendors to heed.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Here's the injector nozzle and a simple 4 hole spray pattern shown. Keep in mind that pray pattern would only represent the liquid and not the vapor cloud surrounding it.

The way I set this up I made the nozzle and the center of the piston concentric so they would stay in alignment, but it allows me to move the nozzle up and down for various installed heights and also rotate the spray pattern without disturbing that alignment.

Piston%20and%20Injector%20Nozzle.jpg

Last edited:
I'm loading the last video now.

What I did was slow it down to 5 RPM's and zoomed in on that area of the nozzle and piston. I just put the nozzle and spray pattern in there as a static element.

If I wanted to set this up for a really accurate analysis, I could take the known density of diesel, the total quantity injected, the orifice size, the number of orifices and the pressure being applied and calculate the velocity the fuel is actually leaving the nozzle. That combined with the relative piston speed would let you figure out just how much timing before and after TDC you can go without being outside the bowl.

Last edited:
Here's the video slowed down to 5 RPM's...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQP6BvfM2Qw[/ame]

Last edited:
I'm glad there are smart people in the world :)

The rest of us get to benefit without having to understand it...lol

I'm glad there are Swole's that exceed every known design parameter and keep lots of smart people employed trying to keep things un-Swoled.....lol

I think he called you a test mun-kee dave

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

I'm loading the last video now.

What I did was slow it down to 5 RPM's and zoomed in on that area of the nozzle and piston. I just put the nozzle and spray pattern in there as a static element.

If I wanted to set this up for a really accurate analysis, I could take the known density of diesel, the total quantity injected, the orifice size, the number of orifices and the pressure being applied and calculate the velocity the fuel is actually leaving the nozzle. That combined with the relative piston speed would let you figure out just how much timing before and after TDC you can go without being outside the bowl.

Amazing work so far. It would be exceptional if you continued the analysis like you described.

Amazing work so far. It would be exceptional if you continued the analysis like you described.

If you want to see it taken out that far, we'd have to redo the piston with the actual measurements and not just the eye-ball setup I did there. The other thing we'd need is someone that has a head and injector out on the table to get an installed protrusion depth.

After that it's just setting up the redundant calculations, which excel or matlab can do quickly. These would give you your true min/max points. You still have to calculate your mass flow rate for your air, so you can calculate what you actually need in mass flow rate for your fuel at each given point.

That's a LOT farther than I had planned on taking this setup.

Can we do it? Sure.
Can we set it up so all you have to do is plug in a few variables? Sure.
Do I really want to do that much work? Not really.....

This may be something I'd be interested in sitting down with a FEW others and breaking it down into manageable portions though. Making seperate functions, like I showed in the earlier calculations with matlab or excel, and letting those feed / call each other could make a really powerful calculator for this.

I usually don't give a crap about sharing some of the simpler tools I make but some folks get a little touchy about that.

Last edited:
Please don't think I'm trying to marginalize the question, it's just a lot of work.

Here is actually what goes on in the background of something like that and this is for a MUCH simpler mechanism that doesn't have any thermo properties to worry about.

This is just the last of the 88 lines of code for the motion of a mechanism that works similar to a crank, rod and piston setup.....and this is just for the motion and forces.

Crank%20Slider.jpg

Last edited:
Holy moly, I just read 20 pages of BS then Martin came in and tried to clean up Brian's mess.

My eyes hurt :eek:

The more I think about this, the more I actually want to model this out fully. PLEASE do not think this is going to be something quick and easy, but I figure in the long run it saves me time anyways.

What I'm going to do is accurately model out the 0304 CR piston. I'll give you guys the Solidworks file for the piston top, as that's really the only important part for all of this anyways. It won't have any valve reliefs cut in it, it'll just be a blank piston and you can do what you want with it.

Thank you Smokem for the dimensions.

0304%20CR%20Piston.jpg

Again, this is not going to be a quick and easy project, this is gonna take me a while and my time is usually pretty short so it'll be something I do in my spare time. But, in the end the goal is to be able to enter a minimum of parameters and generate all of your fuel and timing tables based on those inputs. I'll try to set it up in Excel as most people have and can use that vs Matlab and Solidworks.

Back