Who's dyno tested their 12v vgt combo?

G1625S

Just wondering what this turbo is good for on a daily driven 12v. I would like to set my truck up for low to mid 400's at the wheels. I tow maybe a couple times a month and it's usually under 10k, so this is not really a work truck. The VGT is already mounted and working well. My pump is set somewhat conservatively now, as I've managed to tear up everything downwind of the clutch this summer....waiting on new tranny now. Plan on setting timing up closer to 20, have it at 16 now. Is 400-ish even possible with stock sticks? Anybody have experience with the vgt at this power level on a 12v? Thanks!

I did 551/1083 with a hurting motor and a HE551V...scored 2 pistons very bad a couple weeks after the dyno, but I think I hurt it on the dyno...got very hot!

Either way, 551/1083...timing at 12*, 400cc 12mm CDS pump, and DDP4's
Chris

I did 551/1083 with a hurting motor and a HE551V...scored 2 pistons very bad a couple weeks after the dyno, but I think I hurt it on the dyno...got very hot!

Chris

????

Hoping to try a 551v on the dyno in a couple weeks.

The pump lift specs I had were not right for the pump...I was too lazy to change it...ran good regardless. I figure maybe 15-25hp more with more timing from what I've seen in the past!

If you get that sucker opening and closing right, it's a monster!!
Chris

Just wondering what this turbo is good for on a daily driven 12v. I would like to set my truck up for low to mid 400's at the wheels. I tow maybe a couple times a month and it's usually under 10k, so this is not really a work truck. The VGT is already mounted and working well. My pump is set somewhat conservatively now, as I've managed to tear up everything downwind of the clutch this summer....waiting on new tranny now. Plan on setting timing up closer to 20, have it at 16 now. Is 400-ish even possible with stock sticks? Anybody have experience with the vgt at this power level on a 12v? Thanks!

5x014runs.jpg

I have a 451 that is almost identical to the 351s and it never get's over 1250* on the pyro EVER towing 12k, OD maxed out run, dyno, you name it...

19* timing
poor man's GSK
7x.010s (that dyno chart is for my 5x.014s but it's almost identical for the 7x.010s)
Pusher pump
external fuel pressure regulator set at 42psi
STOCK rack plug
STOCK delivery valves
100 plate FF
AFC mods

Chris

Good lord Chris, didn't realize you were running that monster with only 12* timing... Kinda makes me wonder why it didn't light quicker with the lower timing :poke: Either way, that 551 is just too darn big for a 5.9... I do wonder about it's potential on a 6.7 though :evil

Me too...I even have one now...trust me, it's HARD not turning up the wick on this sucker...I just keep reminding myself that I won't be the one fixing it if it breaks:D

For now!
Chris

how would a he451 work on a 12v would i need to get injectors or would it have enough fuel with just the stuff in my sig

how would a he451 work on a 12v would i need to get injectors or would it have enough fuel with just the stuff in my sig

Works just fine on my 12 valve, but it depends mostly on which 451 you get... But the whole reason to go with one over the 351 would be to get the 64/67 beast. I don't think stock sticks would spool that well, but then again, it's variable geometry. Maybe not opening the housing as far and leaving room to grow it would work just fine.

Works just fine on my 12 valve, but it depends mostly on which 451 you get... But the whole reason to go with one over the 351 would be to get the 64/67 beast. I don't think stock sticks would spool that well, but then again, it's variable geometry. Maybe not opening the housing as far and leaving room to grow it would work just fine.

where did you get your's

where did you get your's

I patiently scoured ebay till one popped up and I stole it for $200... But, it's one of the smaller 60mm inducer models that's not much better than the 351. Only bonus is now once I manage to get enough $$$ to snatch one of the 64/67s it will be a bolt on deal :D

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I haven't seen much over 1300 with my setup, and that's just a spring holding the collar against drive pressure. Drives and tows great. My timing is presently slipped. Going to try high teens for timing this time. Never driven a p-pump with more than 16 degrees--I hear it's fun:) Are the 215 injectors good for 400-ish at the wheels or am I dreaming? Would like to dyno sometime in the next few months and am just wondering what to expect.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I haven't seen much over 1300 with my setup, and that's just a spring holding the collar against drive pressure. Drives and tows great. My timing is presently slipped. Going to try high teens for timing this time. Never driven a p-pump with more than 16 degrees--I hear it's fun:) Are the 215 injectors good for 400-ish at the wheels or am I dreaming? Would like to dyno sometime in the next few months and am just wondering what to expect.

You can get to 400 with 215 injectors with pump modifications like governor springs, delivery valves, rack plug, afc modifications, 25* timing etc.

I've got 4k springs with 60lb valve springs. Still need to read up on AFC mods. I guess I'll be happy with whatever I get, 'cause sticks and dv's aren't in the budget and I dont' think that kind of timing would be northeast winter-friendly.

You could probably get really close to 400 with your stock 215 injectors and stock 181 delivery valves if you do the free modifications to the AFC. To go much over 400 with 215 injectors, you're going to need a bunch of timing and like you said, start-a-bility is important.

18* timing is what I think you should run for an easy starting, great fuel economy daily driver.

Yup, keeping it dd is more important that hp at this point. I have traction issues in 3rd gear now, so torque is right up there, which makes for a fun street truck:)

Back