Who's dyno tested their 12v vgt combo?

Good plan:D

I think it would make a good pulling charger too...from my "high" RPM dyno runs, she sings on the top end!!

Chris

I am worried about the longevity of the turbo on a puller. Holsets are not exactly known for their strong shafts.....?

Considering all of these I've seen with exploded wheels, with bearings that feel perfect...I'd say that the wheel is the first concern.

The VGT sticks on the ISX, exploding the compressor wheel...try not to bark it too bad, and I'd think it'll live fine!

Chris

Im going to run mine wide open unless there is hard throttle input then it closes until boost is built then it opens or it will open when throttle is let off

Around town you can make 5psi with light throttle.

I was looking at the video frame by frame,
2000rpm/8psi
2100rpm/11psi
2250rpm/14psi
2500rpm/19psi
I couldn't hold still after that.
Around 25psi it really seems to take off and go up to 40-45psi fairly rapidly. I am not sure if that is the turbo or where our truck goes into 3rd and locks the converter.
We need to get our ratchet shifter installed so we have more control over the transmission shifts. Right now it goes into 2nd prematurely.

And we are not completely blacking out the highway in the process!

Last edited:
610hp
We had trouble with intercooler boots for some reason. Made quite a few pulls but couldn't get consistent. Dyno operator under estimated the truck at first so the first few pulls didn't warrant us much useful info. By the time we started making decent numbers the motor was pretty warm. Should be able to get video up later this week.

We didn't have an rpm pickup so we didn't get any torque readings.
There is more in it than that IMHO.

I think a big VGT may be on the list for the new shortbed. I may need to ask some of you a few questions soon.

I like the big vgt better than the 71mm S300 we ran before. It is smoother.

I like the big vgt better than the 71mm S300 we ran before. It is smoother.

And sounds pretty cool, too!

If you think there's some more then get too it man!!!!:evil:evil:poke:

Does she still seem to be holding up OK??
Chris

And sounds pretty cool, too!

If you think there's some more then get too it man!!!!:evil:evil:poke:

Does she still seem to be holding up OK??
Chris

Seems to be holding up at this point. We spun the motor to ~5k (133mph in Drive) and it held and I don't think we have barked it with the current setup. I would like to spend a little more time tuning the afc. I thought I had it working good but maybe I can make some improvements, idk? Maybe even pull some fuel out? I need to watch the videos first.
I made the comment about the shaft and then went and looked at it. It is a big shaft, ~3/8". I don't think that will be a problem with the turbo.
We probably won't spend a lot of time on it now. We need to get the puller ready to go for the upcoming season. Hopefully this summer we will make some passes at the strip. I think the top end will be pretty good with this charger.

Now I want to try a HE431ve (64mm) on my daily driver, and the John Deere BW vgt I have needs to go on my brothers truck. The vgt/vnt turbos are pretty fun. Kind of addicting really. There is a big garrett vnt off a 12L detroit on ebay that looks like fun too.

Last edited:
Yeah, the shaft is plenty big...just people keep telling me their too weak to push hard! I think it has more to do with the housings sticking shut on a 915 CID engine working hard...as long as the housing open, I think it will live fine on a 5.9.

I'll keep watching to see how you're getting along...I like that charger a lot!
Chris

I would still like to compare it to that big garrett vnt.

Maybe I need a S500 for twins....LOL

Usually I am the bad influence.

I don't think my stock motor would like me if I did a big set of twins. (although Turbo donations are welcome)
I can't help but wonder what this thing would do if I actually had some head work or a cam? My luck, I would lose power. I better just leave it alone for now. Plus my brother would not be happy if I started to make changes at this point.

Sure it would...it would love more air:evil

No cam?? You should fix that...they're cheap, and one of the best things you can do, IMHO!
Chris

Back