05 cr motor freshen up?

I really am not trying to be a dink here I am simply asking where some of the best minds in the diesel game are at. yes I have a great resource right here with josh but his suggestion of doing a total rebuild like I said before just isn't in the budget. I have made a huge improvement between last year and this year with the help of josh and I don't have any plans of walking away from him we both have way too much invested in this truck as it is and I wouldn't do that to him. I would just like to get some input from you guys on what you would do. but keep in mind I am on a very tight budget. in about a month and a half I will be done with the truck for the winter and won't need it back up and running again til may next year. So I have some time to get some work done this winter.

So how much do you have to spend? Did you read my first post? 1750 too much?

Exactly what it says! This site is full of strong knowledge and you arent going to BS these guys with X truck running similar stuff and over bluffing the dyno sheet. Yes Drew has 789 HP but there is no way you are even close with a single especially on a stock lower end. And tuning is tuning....you either have the same or its totally different....no two trucks run the same! Since Josh is recommending a full build maybe you need to take that advice? Maybe he will sponsor you and cover labor if you can get a few bucks saved for parts. It is a long time until next season....

I'm not trying to bs people at all. even according to the comp d hp calculator my 7200lb truck racing at brainerd this summer didn't spool the turbo til at least 330- 1/8th mile ran a 112mph 1/4 comes out to 686 hp. and that was on the smarty on level 1. I was trying to take it easy on it so I would make sure to make it to the pull the next day. the extra programming is worth at least another 100hp. drew has a 100% stock bottom end just like I do so there is no difference there.
the labor is not the factor in this build either. all of the work that is done to my truck is done at my house after hours either by myself or with josh coming down to help. we basically swap labor for our trucks. we have a good relationship on that level. I just need to have the funds for parts. honestly I was budgeting around $500.00 on the motor work this winter. I really don't have much extra to spend on it. now if obama wants to be nice to me this year and give me a bigger refund I will spend it on the truck. but normally I basically end up in a wash there.

So how much do you have to spend? Did you read my first post? 1750 too much?

yes I did. and like I just said I am basically looking at about $500.00 to spend on it.

now if you guys want to send some cash my way or even parts I would be more than willing to put it to good use on the truck but I don't think that will happen any time soon:lolly:

Ive watched you pull and you get stomped by 5?? HP VP trucks so there is no way in hell this side of dreamland that you are making 800 plus HP! Come back to reality dood!

the last time I pulled against kevin I put somewhere around 20 feet on him. and he was the one who reminded me of that.

yes I did. and like I just said I am basically looking at about $500.00 to spend on it.

now if you guys want to send some cash my way or even parts I would be more than willing to put it to good use on the truck but I don't think that will happen any time soon:lolly:

I wouldn't bother pulling it out then. $500 will barley buy the cam, much less bearings, seals, and gaskets.

WOW a guy comes on and asks advice about an engine and gives a rough idea of power. Which in my mind hes not far off. I think its funny how people that don't like him will go out of there way to start sh.t with him. Could have easly gave a response to the engine build.

WOW a guy comes on and asks advice about an engine and gives a rough idea of power. Which in my mind hes not far off. I think its funny how people that don't like him will go out of there way to start sh.t with him. Could have easly gave a response to the engine build.

Whaa Whaa dont pull that BS over here on CompD! You can believe all you want to if his HP claims are true but as you've seen not anyone is believing it and not one person here said anything about not liking him. I gave him advice as well as others and not one of us called him a dumbass or anything but gave honest info to him. In fact if you look close I believe I recommended he take your advice on a full rebuild. Are you not capable of helping him accomplish his goals?

and I thank you very much for your positive input! the others are not exactly helping things just trying to slam me and the shop that helps me because they have ties (one is an owner) to a different shop. I don't come in here pushing the shop the helps me or badgering anyone who doesn't use him I am simply trying to get some information. isn't that what this forum is for? again thank you for the help speedshift I am still not sure what will get done this winter. I really haven't had the time to even think about it since everyone attacked me I have been trying to just defend myself the whole time. what a huge waste of time this was... thanks compd for the nice reception!

Its just common knowledge to guys here that you don't claim XXXhp unless you have a sheet to prove it, thats all. Best thing you can do is say "ok, I dont know exactly how much hp I am making, but this is what I have", thats all they are looking for now. Just my 2 cents though.

Honestly, if you only want to spend $500 you might as well leave it in there until you have the money to get some parts. You will have that much just re-sealing the motor and adding new oil and a filter. I want to say upper and lower gasket kits will cost $4XX plus oil and a filter, you are at your limit. Thats no bearings, no cam, nothing, just taking a look. Save that money, and use it towards a nice build, and if you blow this motor in the meantime, you still have money saved for a used shortblock.

A cheaper build would be...

VP/12v rods
Cam
balanced BE

about $1100+ gaskets/oil/filter

Just remember, once you get into a motor its like going to the doctor, you risk finding out a bunch of chit you didnt want to know.$.02

Its just common knowledge to guys here that you don't claim XXXhp unless you have a sheet to prove it, thats all. Best thing you can do is say "ok, I dont know exactly how much hp I am making, but this is what I have", thats all they are looking for now. Just my 2 cents though.

Honestly, if you only want to spend $500 you might as well leave it in there until you have the money to get some parts. You will have that much just re-sealing the motor and adding new oil and a filter. I want to say upper and lower gasket kits will cost $4XX plus oil and a filter, you are at your limit. Thats no bearings, no cam, nothing, just taking a look. Save that money, and use it towards a nice build, and if you blow this motor in the meantime, you still have money saved for a used shortblock.

A cheaper build would be...

VP/12v rods
Cam
balanced BE

about $1100+ gaskets/oil/filter

Just remember, once you get into a motor its like going to the doctor, you risk finding out a bunch of chit you didnt want to know.$.02

and thats why I said "somewhere around 800-900hp" I didn't throw out a number like 856.3 hp and 1495.2 tq. I was clearly guessing at the number. I will know exactly what it puts down this afternoon. josh is coming over to take my truck to the dyno cause we are both sick of the bickering that it doesn't make the numbers that we know it does.
I will probably just leave it unless I can come up with a couple grand. if I only spend my budget of $500. it will be on a cam.
again thanks for the help!

Why are you whining about it? I told you to follow Josh's recommendations and also to not try BS'ing the brains over here. Get a real dyno sheet and prove 800 plus that you claim without pulling the comparison crap. Hell if you want me to build it for you Ill donate rods and pistons and labor. No tacky shop sticker to run either....just representation when asked who built it with no strings attached!

and thats why I said "somewhere around 800-900hp" I didn't throw out a number like 856.3 hp and 1495.2 tq. I was clearly guessing at the number. I will know exactly what it puts down this afternoon. josh is coming over to take my truck to the dyno cause we are both sick of the bickering that it doesn't make the numbers that we know it does.
I will probably just leave it unless I can come up with a couple grand. if I only spend my budget of $500. it will be on a cam.
again thanks for the help!

Until it throws a rod, and beats the cam in two along with the rest of the motor... Not saying it will probably happen, but that would just be the luck I would have.LOL

Why are you whining about it? I told you to follow Josh's recommendations and also to not try BS'ing the brains over here. Get a real dyno sheet and prove 800 plus that you claim without pulling the comparison crap. Hell if you want me to build it for you Ill donate rods and pistons and labor. No tacky shop sticker to run either....just representation when asked who built it with no strings attached!

thanks for the offer chris but I will be the only one with hands inside my motor. I will have a dyno sheet this afternoon to show what it puts down as is right now. and the "tacky shop sticker" I asked for one and I went to his sticker guy and had one made that I wanted with my colors and such. the sticker is not something that he wanted or required for a sponsorship. I am proud to display the shop that has put as much work and money into my truck as I have. I am not embarrassed of the shop at all.
thank you for seeming more helpful. Again I am not here to pick on anyone or slam anyone. I simply felt like I was being attacked when all of a sudden everybody is jumping all over me.

The sticker comment wasnt an attack at anyone....I havent seen your truck since 07 and have NO idea what you have on it. I was just saying you dont have to run an ugly sticker to promote me. Im busy enough with no advertising.

Im glad you are finally going to dyno...in fact if money is tight Ill help fund that. A TRUE dyno sheet speaks volumns over guessing and its not just me that gets sick of hearing I make this much HP because this is what so and so makes. Trust me its nothing personal when it comes to this and if ya look around over here I try to be very helpful especially when I think someone is deserving!

709 isnt a bad number Tony! See what I mean by each truck is different? My offer stands to help you out with a build!

709 isnt a bad number Tony! See what I mean by each truck is different? My offer stands to help you out with a build!

I am pretty disappointed with the 709 but we are very certain that some time to setup the truck for it and a little more time tuning and we should have 800+ the thing that boggles my mind is with the smarty on 7 we had 709 and 50-55psi of boost from about 3000-4200+ and held a nice flat hp curve. bumped up the programming to level 9 and lost ground with 678hp and only putting out 40 psi of boost. same flat curve but much less boost... truck was getting very hot and heat soaked so we made one more pass with my 2.5 bushing in and surprisingly only went down to 621. I was expecting alot less with the plug in it but whatever... still with only 40 psi of boost. I can't wrap my mind around how we lost 10-15 psi of boost by turning the programming up. I do have a couple of videos of it that I will post up on you tube shortly and I will put a link to them here as well...

I apologize for giving mis information but I have been told by more than one place that my setup is 850+ any day of the week... well apparently not on wed nights! I can't afford to go back to the dyno again, and probably won't be able to afford to run at the dyno day either. the stupid lost time and money at s&s performance on monday and $100. and again tonight at hi-tech another $100.00 totally blew my truck allowance for quite a while.