12 Valve Excursion questions, trying to complete

You should have 2 posts on each relay. One ground and one 12v, both from ecm

Well I have what I needed to either adapt the wastegate on the HX35 or I will be buying an HE351 and 3rd gen manifold if anyone responds to my messages lol....

I am now doing the coolant piping and have the starter mounted and wired up to the factory ford switches.

I am ordered some DTT goodies for the trans so that will be completed next week.

I could be wrong but i don't think that the third gen exhaust manifold will work on your 12v head. You will have to get the industrial one for the 12v these guys have been talking about. I think both are a t3 discharge so either turbo you are looking at should bolt up fine to the industrial manifold.

yeah a cr manifoild isnt going to work from what ive seen. it has the round ports as a 12v has square one. i think i read somewhere where a guy spent some time "porting" to make the 2 match but then found out the bolt holes didnt line up? could be wrong on that one tho

My 3rd gen manifold and turbo work just fine..

Seeing that have a ford conversion as well that makes it helpful. I am looking at doing a 3rd gen manifold (or a bus manifold if I can find one) with an HE351. Will I have any clearance issues with that configuration? Not sure if the turbo will hit the header or if that particular turbo being bigger will fit in that area.
thanks!

Going to pull the plug on a turbo today if it will work.

The bus and 3rd gem manifolds are same except for exhaust port shape. A much larger turbo wil fit on this manifold, against block and whatnot.. You wil be fine

Yes you will be fine as I am running a HTT 66/71/13SS and there is alot of room there.

I have the HE351 (with manual wastegate mod) and 3rd gen manifold on its way for the 98 12 Valve. I am new to diesels so I have a question about running this setup. Will it run right with the stock injectors or do I need to do some mods? I am under the impression that the turbo will only do what the injectors allow it to? I think the wastegate on a HE351 is around 28psi so let me know if I need to do some things to get this straightenend out. Like I said I am use to gas and not diesel so the boost and Air / Fuel thing is different.
thanks

It wil do just fine for you, you may not even see the 28 psi unless you modify it more,

when you did your swap did you move the tranny back any or leave it in the normal location? how is the fan/raditator clearance? im goin to do the swap while keeping my zf6 and dont know how much ill be alowed to move it back. and i want to use the stock fan and not do E-fans for fear of melting it down

If you are using a stock ford trans then you are in good shape. Read up on the forums but I believe all you have to do is slide the trans back a few inches. You will slot the factory holes in teh ford trans mount to allow it to slide back a bit. I wanted to run the manual fan too so I think that is all you need to do. I only tacked the motor mounts in there to hold it so I could do some fitting. Put the radiator and fan shroud in to make sure it would all fit without hitting.

I actually used a dodge trans so I had to make a mount for the trans.

If you are using a stock ford trans then you are in good shape. Read up on the forums but I believe all you have to do is slide the trans back a few inches. You will slot the factory holes in teh ford trans mount to allow it to slide back a bit. I wanted to run the manual fan too so I think that is all you need to do. I only tacked the motor mounts in there to hold it so I could do some fitting. Put the radiator and fan shroud in to make sure it would all fit without hitting.

I actually used a dodge trans so I had to make a mount for the trans.

yeah i have been reading/searching the forums but havent found the nswer im after tho. im jsut wondering how far i can actually move the trans back before i got to mod the shifter hole&get costom drive lines made. basicaly i was jsut looking for some input from someone that did the 12/zf6 swap to chime in. IF i could get away without modding the drivelines and use the stock cummins fan i would be very happy

I got the turbo in and found that it is a VGT HE351. I was not aware until it showed up. I am not sure if it is going to fit in my 04 Excursion. I have a 3rd gen manifold but this turbo is huge. Is anyone else running one of these HE351 VGT's on a ford?

I got the turbo in and found that it is a VGT HE351. I was not aware until it showed up. I am not sure if it is going to fit in my 04 Excursion. I have a 3rd gen manifold but this turbo is huge. Is anyone else running one of these HE351 VGT's on a ford?

The VGT has a special manifold for the unique flange on them.

The VGT has a special manifold for the unique flange on them.

It came with an adapter and had been setup and used on 12V already so that was helpful. I just wonder if that turbo will fit in the truck, that is one massive exhaust housing!!!

The adapter may make it a bit tight. Controlling it will be the fun or $$$ part. I have one set up for mechanical actuation.

The adapter may make it a bit tight. Controlling it will be the fun or $$$ part. I have one set up for mechanical actuation.

Yeah the one I got is setup already with a mechanical WG. I just hope it will fit in there. I was looking at using the original manifold flipped down. The adapter is about a 33degree angle so that helps but I think it will still be against the heater box. I have a 3gen manifold too if I have to go that route.

So seeing that I have an HX35 and this VGT turbo (already setup) would you put the HX35 on there or go for it with the VGT? That is what I am trying to decide right now.