12v build to start soon!

yea id pull 3rd and if it dont work can go back to 4th. i reckon it takes alot of motor to run 4th specially with that gearing. and yea might have to slip it a lil more out of the hole to get the rpms where ya want it. let us know how it goes

Pittsfield, PA truck pulls. My second run. They bumped me up to Pro Stock Diesel because they only had a few trucks. I was only running 700 pounds up front. I had a MUCH better launch than the first run. I launched at 5000 rpm in 4th gear, 4 low. I actually did it right this time and waited until the boost hit 45-47 psi before I finished slipping the clutch. Perfect, I was thinking. . . . until at the 160 foot mark I realized that I had way too high of a gear for that tight of a track. I needed 2nd 4 hi or 3rd 4 low. About 6 trucks broke at that track is that gives you an idea of how things were going. I ended up with 180 feet. The rpms plummeted down past 2000 at about 170 feet and I knew it was over. Different gear = different story. Well, theres always next time…..or so I thought…..

Pre Pull:
IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

http://youtu.be/_VuEE4X2k0I
http://youtu.be/cDPNnG3KQ88
http://youtu.be/-ecutvNgce8

All that fun happened before this……..I was foolin around in a field the day after and I was wide open and I see A LOT of smoke comin from the engine bay…..Oil F$%*#& everywhere….Put a hole in the block…..tearing it apart now to asses the damage. Sucks because I just finally got her back from being built a month earlier. Bigger and better now though….I guess (sorry the pics are blurry)

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

Not sure what happened. Possibly sheared the wrist pin from the piston and a rod let loose….I am not sure. If you look into the hole straight on, you can see the crank and the rod and both appear intact and not bent. There is no hole in the other side of the block and the oil pan is whole and in place. I guess I'll find out what happened when I tear it apart…..All my work down the drain……gota pay to play I guess. It'll be better next time. I like spending money haha

Last edited:
Important to triple check clearances and torque specs in the bottom end.

Important to triple check clearances and torque specs in the bottom end.
I double checked the torque and clearances twice. I wanted to make sure the piston to valve clearance was fine because I was running a stock head gasket and Zach's 188/220….

1st valve cover gasket is blown out.
I saw the valve cover gasket….That's what I was hoping was the only problem…..that is until I saw the gaping hole:nail:

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1032.jpg

Just got her out a little bit ago actually…..possibly spun bearing. the number 6 cylinder piston is toast, the injector and cylinder wall is destroyed. cap bolts were tight and the rest of the pistons and cylinders look great….

Wow, just read the whole build thread earlier today and now this....sorry to hear, guess that means its time to beef it up...

Man what a terrible way to end the build up thread, sorry to hear it man.. Guess its time to beef it up again or go to a 6.7

:Throwup:Wow that sucks. Sorry to hear about the problems. I hope you get it back together and it stays that way. This has been an interesting build.

It is a sad way to "end" a build up thread (for now), but the next time it will be better……I hope it stays together next time too haha!!! I'm not doing a 6.7. btw……I've got some other stuff for you guys…...

zep as for the 4th gear pull... told ya so :). as for the motor flying apart.... im scared now lol id hate to think i get mine together with the same results. crazy how it destroyed the cylinder wall like that. where exactly do you think it failed at? did the rod come apart from the piston or come apart from the crank. hard to tell in the pics exactly what went on

I think it spun a bearing. Cap bolts were both tight rest of the pistons and cylinders look great. Demolished the piston, cylinder wall and injector on #6. Cam looks ok. Crank we will have to see. The one for sure will need cleaned up. too much fuel in the oil or possibly coolant in the oil caused it. With the bearings being coated (added like .002's), the rod-to-bearing clearances may have been just that little bit too tight and at high rpm, it could have seize it up....

OR

The oil hole plugged on the crank then locked up and the piston beat my cylinder out by the looks of it.

I hope you have better luck with your build, Jake

thanks for info zep keep me posted, anything i can try to avoid while putting my together is much appreciated haha. i was thinking of having my bearings coated as well but was also concerned on clearances, guess i need to talk it over with my machine shop.

What your front licence plate means?

Looks like its from Italy, but the text is more like sweadish ..

Stem roller ?

What your front licence plate means?

Looks like its from Italy, but the text is more like sweadish ..

Stem roller ?

Im almost 100% sure its a fancy way to say steam roller lol

And I am glad your not letting this bring you down Zep can't wait to see these new goodies :rockwoot:

I think it spun a bearing. Cap bolts were both tight rest of the pistons and cylinders look great. Demolished the piston, cylinder wall and injector on #6. Cam looks ok. Crank we will have to see. The one for sure will need cleaned up. too much fuel in the oil or possibly coolant in the oil caused it. With the bearings being coated (added like .002's), the rod-to-bearing clearances may have been just that little bit too tight and at high rpm, it could have seize it up....

OR

The oil hole plugged on the crank then locked up and the piston beat my cylinder out by the looks of it.

I hope you have better luck with your build, Jake

how many miles and retourques

Im almost 100% sure its a fancy way to say steam roller lol

And I am glad your not letting this bring you down Zep can't wait to see these new goodies :rockwoot:

It is just a different way to say steamroller. That's the name I chose for my truck for pulling, plus in street form, I think it looks like a steamroller haha (see below)
IMG_0815.jpg

how many miles and retourques

3 retorques. one hot, two cold. 500 miles I changed the oil. 800 total miles before failure