12V tricks

973604x4

aka landphil
i've started to learn my 12valve. Tinkered with the star wheel both directions for my own experience. I like to see smoke so the star wheel is towards the front of the engine.

Its my understanding that star wheel tinkering isn't enough to hurt anything. True or False? Up til Thursday, the pump had NEVER been touched.

I'm buying a BHAF for it soon from a friend. I have silencer ring MIA and straight exhaust.

What else is cheap, easy, and safe without gauges or a clutch upgrade??? gauges in the works.

and don't hate, but haven't done the KDP yet. Won't have weekend time til late June and July. The 12valve is with me on the road every weekend these days. The KDP hasnt been an issue yet in 138k so im crossing my fingers it doesn't happen in the next 2k miles.

That's about all I'd do without gauges. Although sliding the plate should be fine, I don't think I'd feel comfortable doing it to my truck without gauges.

I put another 60k on my stock clutch (had 100k when I got it) with a 100 plate in the middle of the pump.

Bumping the timing would be safe now, and help mileage

BUY guages and get the KDP fixed,

THEN

Come talk to us!

You need to do basic things first then learn the truck.

alrighty....i have the 2 gauge pod already. Gauges in a couple weeks....

I learned common rails from too many broken parts and too much money wasted. Don't want to go that route again!!!!

well after you get gauges you can grind your plate into a 0 slide the afc housing to the front of the truck along with the plate then theres a screw on the back of the afc housing it has a cover on it you can turn that to make it smoke more and i'm going to try grinding my afc foot to see what that does

Don't grind the foot, grind the barrel that slides on the rod, give you control down low, and more fuel up top.

Its the upper side of the afc above the foot, it slides back and forth on the rod. Clear as mud?? Kinda hard to explain! If you take off your afc and get some shop air hooked to it your will see it plain as day.

local guys say take the plate out. Pros? Cons?

Another question. the truck is a long bed 4wd ext cab 285 muds, 5 speed obviously. had 4500 pounds behind it Saturday from Dallas to College Station. 68mph, foot on floor was the best i could do. Granted i had a head wind of about 15-20mph, but still. Unloaded the trailer is heavy....over 3000 pounds. Unloaded I could do 72-74mph with the trailer in tow. I kept boost up best i could, down geared on any half way steep incline.

I think its my gearing. What gears do these trucks come with usually? im at 69mph at 2k rpms, but speedo could be off due to tires. I passed a DPS radar sign once and the speedo was dead on at 55.

Damn. Thats pretty horrible speed. I dont tow with my 12 v but my stroke can do 100 with 10k behind it. My speedometer doesnt register past that.

i know. Im thinking if i have 3.55's and then 285's, my gearing is horrible. But the rpms at 70 don't reflect that gearing...or does it?

My RPMs with 4.10s and 36s (may very well be wrong granted) are at 200 at 70 with room to go. The reason I think that this is correct is that most trucks I have ever driven will do 70 @ 2000 rpms.

That was before the sticks, and with the plate in the middle. Could do 75 with my trailer the 4 days I had it stock:D

I have removed the taper off the bottom of the foot as well and seen much better low end fueling, question is when removing material off the barrell, is it off both sides and aprox. how much? This comming weekend at the races i will also exper. with gutting it and seeing the diff. off the line. It will just be up to foot control if its too much fuel.

i can do 75+ with an 18ft car hauler. But my landscape trailer just isn't a good puller. its 14ft dual axle, sides are 5 ft high made out of angle and thick strap with expandable. Has a box built on it on too...once again angle with strap and expandable. The tongue weight is so bad I can barely budge it.

maybe this is more of a bad pulling trailer?? the dmax will pull it at 80+mph no problem, but thats over 200 more ft pounds of tq through a 6 gear auto

I have removed the taper off the bottom of the foot as well and seen much better low end fueling, question is when removing material off the barrell, is it off both sides and aprox. how much? This comming weekend at the races i will also exper. with gutting it and seeing the diff. off the line. It will just be up to foot control if its too much fuel.
I took about 0.08" off. Just the end where it will give you more travel. Only really one end that would make sense to grind one, pretty obvious once you get it apart. I left the taper on mine, just removed the bevel on it, for a hair more low end fuel.

i can do 75+ with an 18ft car hauler. But my landscape trailer just isn't a good puller. its 14ft dual axle, sides are 5 ft high made out of angle and thick strap with expandable. Has a box built on it on too...once again angle with strap and expandable. The tongue weight is so bad I can barely budge it.

maybe this is more of a bad pulling trailer?? the dmax will pull it at 80+mph no problem, but thats over 200 more ft pounds of tq through a 6 gear auto
My trailer is a 6x12, 6-6 tall all steel dual axle, it's heavy, same thing I can barely budge the tongue. But like you said, some trailers just don't pull to well.

If you wanted I could meet up with you sometime to adjust some things. I would just do the simple AFC mods, #100 or no plate. Even without gauges except for WOT runs EGT's wouldn't be a concern IMO.

If you wanted I could meet up with you sometime to adjust some things. I would just do the simple AFC mods, #100 or no plate. Even without gauges except for WOT runs EGT's wouldn't be a concern IMO.

sounds good to me. I have a 2 gauge pod already, well kinda. Its in Lake Jackson currently but its mine and headed my way. I need a 12v guy with experience to show me how and exactly where to tweak these pumps. I do want to bump timing a little but have no idea how.

Let me get the gauges in, and I'll hollar at you. i've got a shop-garage and beer if that motivates at all :hehe:

we've come to the consensus that my clutch isn't stock. It grips very good, almost tricky in reverse.

Its tough to take off in 1st....gotta be good with the clutch or it will almost stall. Does this sound normal??? I say 1st meaning NOT low, technically its the 2nd gear but says 1. Still trying to figure out my gearing...3.55 or ??

Back