12V tricks

I ground off where the arrow is pointing. That combined with washers that fit inside the AFC spring (in addition to the washer flip) gave me a good bit more AFC travel.

Attachments

• AFC foot.jpg
    AFC foot.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 68
I ground off where the arrow is pointing. That combined with washers that fit inside the AFC spring (in addition to the washer flip) gave me a good bit more AFC travel.

so you ground .08 inches where the arrow is pointing and put small washers on the other side? is that what your saying?

I didn't take quite that much off the foot, and I left the angle.

When we put the air to it it was still bottoming out before the barrel hit the housing, so Jim showed me to put the washers inside the spring. Gained me the rest of the travel.

The fitting that feeds air to the AFC is 1/4", just a line out from the regulator that will thread in.

ON EDIT:
AFC< 1/4" fitting< air tubing< regulator< air supply

Hooked up like that, if that makes sense:D

The fitting that feeds air to the AFC is 1/4", just a line out from the regulator that will thread in.

ON EDIT:
AFC< 1/4" fitting< air tubing< regulator< air supply

Hooked up like that, if that makes sense:D

1/8th pipe thread! Once you have the pressure you want, meaning how much shop air it takes to bottom the arm out.......install it...bottomed out... with the air still applied...no guessing this way.

Make big changes with springs and little ones with the star wheel but stay out of coil bind.

Jim

1/8th pipe thread! Once you have the pressure you want, meaning how much shop air it takes to bottom the arm out.......install it...bottomed out... with the air still applied...no guessing this way.

Make big changes with springs and little ones with the star wheel but stay out of coil bind.

Jim
I was close:bang

There needs to be a video on this...or something needs to make a trip and show me...

This is true. I just tore it down hoping that this would be the case. I need to find a bench grinder so I can grind the barrel and make the angle=flat.

I got back on to make sure that I was switching the correct washers. Will it make a difference if this is all I accomplish today and grind the foot and barrel later?

Yes it will make a difference.

I did my grinding with a angle grinder.

Are you gonna hook it to air?

If all you did was make those few changes it may or maynot help.

What did you do to your AFC, were is your plate set, were is your star wheel set at....is it in coil bind and finally what pressure does it take to bottom the AFC arm out in the plate.......these all need to be checked when your tuning a 12V.

Jim

What did you do to your AFC, were is your plate set, were is your star wheel set at....is it in coil bind and finally what pressure does it take to bottom the AFC arm out in the plate.......these all need to be checked when your tuning a 12V.

Jim

Coil bind? ... the afc spring im assuming is what your talkin bout.

Jim

0-plate is full forward, star wheel is 3/4 maxed out, pressure hasn't been checked as I haven't hooked it up to air yet.

if the plate is limiting travel, it won't do much... I always ditch the big washer and replace it with a fender washer and stack another thin washer in front of it. I've never liked grinding the front of the foot, just the back. with the AFC housing all the way forward, you'll be plenty smokey with the factory taper on the foot

This may be a stupid question but in Smokems pictures with the washers flipped it looks like the nut is down inside of the bigger one. This is how I have it set up, should it be sitting on top of the other side or down inside like I have it? I'm at work right now(CARQUEST) and am gathering the parts to be able to apply air to it so hopefully this weekend if I find the time I can get it tuned good enough till my springs and dvs are ordered.

Back