188/220 over 181/210 Test Results

By turning the rods around are we talking bolts toward cam or away? If I remember correctly the 6.7 they were away stock.

I have a helix 2 in my truck currently and i love it compared to stock, its so responsive with this super hx40 i have. Would love to go to a 188. i just cant get back to back testing done...

i went from a helix2 to a big stick and the difference was very noticable, and it gave me almost 40hp over the helix....have the 188/220 in the mail now....will post dyno results..

By turning the rods around are we talking bolts toward cam or away? If I remember correctly the 6.7 they were away stock.

Caps cam side for 6.7L and caps away from cam on the CR 5.9L.

It is nice to see the difference we have seen replicated on a build we had nothing to do with. Greg Hogue and Don M. have always called B.S. on our results. The difference between our new high lift 181-210 and our 188-220 look like the difference between our old low lift 181-210 and the Helix 2.
Ronnie, care to put in a Helix2, I'll pay for the labor.

By the way look at 65mph ;). If you had the 108 LSA, you would have noticed another 12-15hp and even quicker spool.

and everyone called BS when you had posted 200+ hp over those "other cams" :clap::bow:

I'm sold...definitely getting the old school cam outta my truck this winter during the rebuild.

Looks like I'll be going 188/220. Man I just wish we could go bigger on a stock longblock.

I'm interested in what the graph looks like with a set of good spooling compounds between cams. I'm thinking we could be watching the boost curve as much as anything, so to that effect a set along with a tune that boost quick might not see the same gains where as a big laggy single that needs the kick in the ass will.

I'm interested in what the graph looks like with a set of good spooling compounds between cams. I'm thinking we could be watching the boost curve as much as anything, so to that effect a set along with a tune that boost quick might not see the same gains where as a big laggy single that needs the kick in the ass will.

That's entirely possible. I made some runs on a Dyno jet recently and made peak power at 3500. Ran on a super flow with a bit more plate and 2deg more timing and showed peak power closer to 3150 and really good power down at 2600. Doesn't even look like the same truck. On the Super flow we are holding the truck at 80mph and allowing it to build up to about 25 psi and then releasing it with no load on the rollers from there. On the dyno jet I start the run around 80mph and 7-8 psi.
If the cam could somehow cause the chargers to spool faster, obviously the the torque and hp curve would raise earlier.

Last edited:
Right exactly what I'm getting at, a overlay of those two graphs would be interesting.

Here's a graph starting at 4-5 psi with no load.

Attachments

• fuel 001.jpg
    fuel 001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 0
Here's another one starting out with 25psi against a load and then running up from there. Big difference.

Attachments

• fuel.jpg
    fuel.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
Holy, yeah that is reenforcing what I'm thinking. I remember when Zack showed the results a while back and what stood out the most was the time factor, more or less how quick it was coming on, the actual curve did not change a lot, there was gain no doubt, but I don't think it would show as much on somthing that spooled good in the first place.

Yeah I agree. I think that's a given. It's not like if a 66 spools at 1800, my 62 will spool at 800. Lol. That'd break parts BAD! I think it'll pick up HP but as you said its geared toward spooling at a certain rpm, and my little turbo will already be spooled. BUT it'll be ready for a bigger turbo.

Last edited:
For sure the laggy single will show more gain in the lower rpm than will a moderate set of twins. When loaded, the twins will show better dyno numbers than a fat single for sure. Ron, you should put the 188-220 in the engine you already have! I think you would see a great increase. On the single RJP was running, the truck barely spooled in the higher gears with loading or just a normal run, and had plenty of excess fuel on hand. Since there was excess fuel there waiting on air, and a turbo that had plenty of room to push more air, just needed to be spooled better, the power improved at every rpm point that the airflow, both trapped volume, burned amount, and expelled volume improved.

I always choose overfueled trucks with spool problems to do testing as they more accurately show gains.

If we were to have done the same test on a truck with 50hp nozzles and a 62-65-12 the results would not have been the same. Fuel would have cleaned up and the turbo would have been on the outer limits of it's map before the cam could have shown all that it could have done.

I think what these cams really allow is; For you to spool the charger you have faster, or to spool a size or two larger at the same rate you spool your current charger,
for you to run more aggressive programming and fueling and not smoke as much and to hold the power range, if you have the fuel to, a higher rpm.

FYI one of the things I have seen is higher drive pressures with the 188-220. This is even with the fact that it opens the exhaust valve later than the 181-210. The reason drive pressure increases is that it traps much more air into the cylinder at every RPM point, this means that more volume in Multiplied by the expansion by burning more fuel will create more drive pressure if a larger turbine section or wastegate is not used.

Last edited:

Zach
Im giving the 188 some serious consideration.
Do I need to change out my sportsman springs also.
thanks ,doug

Probably not if you are stating under 75psi boost/drive pressure and under 4200 rpm. If you are pushing it hard, I'd upgrade.

It would be an interesting swap Zach. Mine doesn't set any records for spooling.