1947 Dodge WDX-31

awesome color, awesome build! im looking for a civilian dodge to put a cummins in, lots of experience with 41-45 military 1/2 and 3/4 tons but i like the civilian grill much better, crazy that you found that truck so rust free!

awesome color, awesome build! im looking for a civilian dodge to put a cummins in, lots of experience with 41-45 military 1/2 and 3/4 tons but i like the civilian grill much better, crazy that you found that truck so rust free!

Thanks! All I can say about the rust free part is this....find a fire truck! It spent most of it's life indoors getting washed and waxed after every trip outside of the firehouse. It surely helped it survive the last 20 years outdoors.

UPS dropped of the new gauge/bezel set up

DSC_0472.jpg

LOL Just my luck. Boese sells dash kits up to '47 and '54-'58, but nothing for my '49. I guess it's back to the bridgeport for me.

Those gauges should be perfect for the vintage.

LOL Just my luck. Boese sells dash kits up to '47 and '54-'58, but nothing for my '49. I guess it's back to the bridgeport for me.

Those gauges should be perfect for the vintage.

I know...just picked up a '53 dump truck for my father-in-law, and I don't know what to do about gauges.

Been a couple of months. What's happening? Need pics.

A life disaster, major mechanical failure in another vehicle which is now occupying the rest of my garage and my funds, and lack of work has slowed progress a bit.

My '37 Ford pick-up(Flathead powered daily driver) decided it wanted to be a steam engine back in September. I found a good block, dropped it off at the machinist just before Turkey Day to get the ball rolling. December arrived and I pulled the cracked block out of the truck.

Mid-December, my wife's 95 year old Grandmother with dementia decided to take a walk, fell in a creek and drowned.

Holidays came and passed by. Here I am without an engine for the Ford. Sort of a hold up as it takes up all of my available work space. I should have the engine back next week and get this thing buttoned up and out of the way soon.

I will be taking the auto body class again. Starts Feb. 7th. The Dodge cab is the last major body project. Once the Ford is out of the way, I can get moving on chassis fabrication. Won't take long to do that.

Very cool project. My uncle has a early 50s F7 fire truck that i have been trying to buy for years to do a 12v swap in. Being a little old school he wants to keep it a flat head.

Sorry for the loss of your wifes grand mother

now quit making excuses and get back to work:)

Sorry for the loss of your wifes grand mother

now quit making excuses and get back to work:)

Thanks! I should have the Flathead for the '37 back this week. I will get right on that project and get it moving.

Then back on the Dodge full time!

love those old Dodge trucks. The blue looks good, but the old patina was cool too, especially with a rattly 12 V in it..

also interested in the steam conversion.

Nice Build !!!, You may consider a Colw extenstion an dmove the cab back on the frame 6 -8 inches to make access to the engine alot easier, I would try that if it were mine, other widse its a AWESOME Job you've Done, Keep up the good Work, Do you have the whole hanress /ECU from the Allison 2000?...What about classic looking pyro, boost, trans temp guages?... a call to Autometer thems selves may help you, they have been know to do special orders for people. You will definately need those gauges with a Diesel Tow vehicle.
Keep up the Good work!
Thanks,
Deo

Nice Build !!!, You may consider a Colw extenstion an dmove the cab back on the frame 6 -8 inches to make access to the engine alot easier, I would try that if it were mine, other widse its a AWESOME Job you've Done, Keep up the good Work, Do you have the whole hanress /ECU from the Allison 2000?...What about classic looking pyro, boost, trans temp guages?... a call to Autometer thems selves may help you, they have been know to do special orders for people. You will definately need those gauges with a Diesel Tow vehicle.
Keep up the Good work!
Thanks,
Deo

I am fabbing up a good size removable doghouse for E-Z engine access. I have the brain and harness for the Allison, and a good buddy that is a service tech for Detroit/Allison for the programming. I have not decided on the additional gauges, I would like the same style gauges, but I surely can't afford to have them custom made. I will cross that bridge soon...

Thanks for looking.

Back on the build. The cab is at school and body work is moving along. Picked up a '97 RAM 2500 for another donor engine. Started the frame fabrication work with some boxing plates.

DSC_0627.jpg

Donor truck...

DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

Quick update. The cab is moving along nicely at school. Even though it is nice and rust free, there was plenty of fire department damage. All kinds of stretched metal on the roof and backside of the cab. With my instructor at the controls, we did the best we could to get it back. But like every restoration, filler is inevitable. Lots of sanding, but it will end up being darn near perfect. I hope to wrap up the filler and sanding on Tuesday, then hopefully get the epoxy and hi-build primer on it Wednesday.

DSC_0688.jpg

DSC_0689-1.jpg

DSC_0690.jpg

This corner had the fuel tank filler neck coming through it. I eliminated that, took a good bit of effort to lose the 'low' spot.

DSC_0691.jpg

By looking at some 1950's photos of this truck, it is obvious that this corner of the truck took some abuse from a fire hose reel that was mounted nearby. The roof and corner were totally hammered.

DSC_0692-1.jpg

Back to the chassis at home. Got the 'new' donor motor mated to the Allison and put back in between the frame rails. A/C compressor will be very close to the frame, so I will need to modify it before boxing it all in.

DSC_0693.jpg

DSC_0694.jpg

Keep the pics coming! It looks like a bunch of work, but should all be worth it in the end.