1967 RS Duramax Camaro

I think we are talking about the same thing. It's just a difference in terminology. I always called alternating short beads and short spaces a stitch weld. Trigger welding is when you squeeze the trigger to start a puddle then release it and move forward to the edge of your weld and repeat until you have a bead by pressing and releasing the trigger or "triggering". At least that's how I was taught. Either way, keep up the good work. I'm enjoying following along. If you need any help or advice with the Duramax, I'll be glad to provide my input. I don't know it all, but I'm pretty familiar with them (especially the LBZ/LMM).

Any and all info on the Duramax is appreciated. I'm still in the early learning phases about the LBZ, and probably like everything else so far in this build, I'll be learning as I go.

Awesome Build!!!!!!

Nice fab work its going to be a really cool ride!!

Thanks guys!

Any and all info on the Duramax is appreciated. I'm still in the early learning phases about the LBZ, and probably like everything else so far in this build, I'll be learning as I go.
What kind of power are you looking to make, or what is your weight and what ET are you hoping to get in the 1/4? I race a 2006 Dmax van with a 4L85E. It weighs in at about 5500 lbs and has run a best fuel only pass of 7.73 @ 88.7 MPH in the 1/8. The only mods are the built trans, lift pump, EGR delete, and an EFILive tune.

What kind of power are you looking to make, or what is your weight and what ET are you hoping to get in the 1/4? I race a 2006 Dmax van with a 4L85E. It weighs in at about 5500 lbs and has run a best fuel only pass of 7.73 @ 88.7 MPH in the 1/8. The only mods are the built trans, lift pump, EGR delete, and an EFILive tune.

600-800hp is the area I was hoping to eventually achieve. But that may change when I start driving it around, you never know. I can only assume it's weight right now since it's not done, probably around 3300lbs in full trim. First generation camaro's can be deceivingly heavy. As far as the 1/4 mile goes, I would be ecstatic with low 10's to high 9's. If I get the chassis certified then that could limit me to exactly how fast it will be legal for at the track.

BTW, 7.73 in the 1/8 in pretty dang good for a van!

600-800hp is the area I was hoping to eventually achieve. But that may change when I start driving it around, you never know. I can only assume it's weight right now since it's not done, probably around 3300lbs in full trim. First generation camaro's can be deceivingly heavy. As far as the 1/4 mile goes, I would be ecstatic with low 10's to high 9's. If I get the chassis certified then that could limit me to exactly how fast it will be legal for at the track.

BTW, 7.73 in the 1/8 in pretty dang good for a van!
Do you want to do a single turbo or twins? Spray or fuel only? You should be able to hit 650 maybe 700 HP pretty easily. Twin off the stock charger with an S475 or S480 would get you plenty of air. You could also just bolt on an S475 single if you don't want twins. Some bigger nozzles (45% would be plenty, but you could go bigger if you want to give yourself room to grow) on your injectors and a healthy CP3 and a good lift pump should supply the fuel you need. Then it comes down to getting it tuned.

I also have some nitrous on the van, and on spray it did 7.40 @ 94.5 in the 1/8 and 11.57 @ 115.6 in the 1/4.

And twisted the u joint out if the rear yoke on Saturday!

Very cool Camaro! And if you need some advice josh is the man, he has blown up more of his own stuff than anyone i know going fast!

Do you want to do a single turbo or twins? Spray or fuel only? You should be able to hit 650 maybe 700 HP pretty easily. Twin off the stock charger with an S475 or S480 would get you plenty of air. You could also just bolt on an S475 single if you don't want twins. Some bigger nozzles (45% would be plenty, but you could go bigger if you want to give yourself room to grow) on your injectors and a healthy CP3 and a good lift pump should supply the fuel you need. Then it comes down to getting it tuned.

I also have some nitrous on the van, and on spray it did 7.40 @ 94.5 in the 1/8 and 11.57 @ 115.6 in the 1/4.

*nx* is for cheaters LOL. I was actually leaning towards something like a 68mm and a procharger blowing into it, but that's going to take some serious $ that I won't have for quite awhile. Running with a stock motor for awhile will give me the time to familiarize myself with tuning. I want to run an airdog for my lift pump. I installed and airdog 2 165 on my 12v and I'm very happy with it.

And twisted the u joint out if the rear yoke on Saturday!

Very cool Camaro! And if you need some advice josh is the man, he has blown up more of his own stuff than anyone i know going fast!

Good to know. Your Riviera's pretty cool too!

I almost finished the roll cage this weekend. Slight correction: the tubing is .134 wall, not .120 wall, like I previously mentioned.

1349664367.jpg

1349664350.jpg

1349664324.jpg

1349664304.jpg

1349664270.jpg

1349664253.jpg

1349664231.jpg

1349664195.jpg

1349664178.jpg

1349664135.jpg

1349664115.jpg

1349664082.jpg

1349664063.jpg

1349664039.jpg

1349664021.jpg

1349663992.jpg

1349663977.jpg

I realized a little late that the back brace tube was 1 1/4". My removable back brace kit is designed for 1 5/8" tubing, so I decided to sleeve the back brace tube with some scrap 1 5/8" tube so I could still use everything.

1349664098.jpg

1349663953.jpg

1349663929.jpg

1349663911.jpg

1349663888.jpg

1349663867.jpg

1349663850.jpg

1349663824.jpg

1349663802.jpg

1349663764.jpg

1349663644.jpg

1349663612.jpg

1349663589.jpg

You are doing a first class job you should be very proud about this prodject.I had a 68 with the RS and SS options had a small block in it with 4sp.Keep up the great work.

Dale

*nx* is for cheaters LOL. I was actually leaning towards something like a 68mm and a procharger blowing into it, but that's going to take some serious $ that I won't have for quite awhile. Running with a stock motor for awhile will give me the time to familiarize myself with tuning. I want to run an airdog for my lift pump. I installed and airdog 2 165 on my 12v and I'm very happy with it.
Hey, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'! Right? :lolly:

A totally stock motor with a good tune and a lift pump is capable of mid 500 HP if your CP3 is still in good shape and your injectors aren't too worn. Are you going to tune it yourself? If you are going to use EFILive and need any help understanding how the tables work together, I can help you there too.

I like the AirDog II 165. That's what I put on my pickup, but since the van was a budget project, I'm running a cheaper pump I got from Summit. It is from a company called Quick Fuel Technology and has flow rates similar to the AirDog, 175 GPH Bypass Billet Electric Fuel Pump. The only bad thing about it is it is very loud.

The cage is looking awesome!

You are doing a first class job you should be very proud about this prodject.I had a 68 with the RS and SS options had a small block in it with 4sp.Keep up the great work.

Dale

Thank you, sir. I'm glad that there's folks out there that appreciate it. It makes it more worth it in the end.

Hey, if you ain't cheatin' you ain't tryin'! Right? :lolly:

A totally stock motor with a good tune and a lift pump is capable of mid 500 HP if your CP3 is still in good shape and your injectors aren't too worn. Are you going to tune it yourself? If you are going to use EFILive and need any help understanding how the tables work together, I can help you there too.

I like the AirDog II 165. That's what I put on my pickup, but since the van was a budget project, I'm running a cheaper pump I got from Summit. It is from a company called Quick Fuel Technology and has flow rates similar to the AirDog, 175 GPH Bypass Billet Electric Fuel Pump. The only bad thing about it is it is very loud.

The cage is looking awesome!

I was told when I got the dmax that it was pulled out of a totaled truck with about 30k on it. So I can only assume everything is still in good enough shape to run. It's a little dirty, but that's it. I pulled the oil pan off to have it machined and checked everything out and I couldn't find a single thing that would raise an eyebrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm open to all suggestions as far as performance goes, even cheating with nitrous LOL I'd like to try to tune it myself with EFIlive and a dsp5 switch, but I know practically nothing about it. Any info regarding it would be greatly appreciated.

How loud is that pump compared to the airdog 2?

I was told when I got the dmax that it was pulled out of a totaled truck with about 30k on it. So I can only assume everything is still in good enough shape to run. It's a little dirty, but that's it. I pulled the oil pan off to have it machined and checked everything out and I couldn't find a single thing that would raise an eyebrow, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm open to all suggestions as far as performance goes, even cheating with nitrous LOL I'd like to try to tune it myself with EFIlive and a dsp5 switch, but I know practically nothing about it. Any info regarding it would be greatly appreciated.

How loud is that pump compared to the airdog 2?
On the tuning, I would recommend you start by downloading the software from EFILive's website (it is free), download a stock tune, and start looking through the tables and reading the descriptions. You can also download a modified tune and see what tables are changed and how. This will give you an idea about what some of the changes will look like and what they might do. Then you can start tuning yourself by slowly making changes and see what the different changes cause the engine to do. It really isn't as complicated as it seems. There are really only a hand full of tables you need to change compared to what is available. Once you get ready to start tuning, you should start a new thread; I'm sure there are a bunch of guys who would be willing to help you learn. It might even be worth it for you to join a Duramax specific forum to get more tuning advice. I spend a lot of time on duramaxdiesels.com. There are a lot of guys who are very knowledgeable about those motors.

On the pump, it's hard to give a solid answer. I have the same pump on my truck as my dad does on his. I can't hear mine with the engine off, but I can hear his over his running. The pump in the van is louder than my dad's, but it is hard to say by how much. There is no insulation to dampen the sound from the lift pump in the van. I'm sure if it was rubber mounted, it would take a lot of the noise out of it. I can get you a video of it if it would help.

Ok, good info. I think I will do that. I'm a member of diesel place, but the last few times I've been there it seems like there's not a lot of people online anymore. I'll take a look at Duramaxdiesels and see what's up.

I forgot to mention I got the motor with a ppe standalone harness and a ppe hot +2 et excellerator tuner. I'm pretty sure I will be better off with efi tuning.

I had a Holley black electric pump feeding the small block I had in the camaro in high school, and it was fairly loud, but it was mounted to the floor with no rubber insulation, so it could have been quieter. There's lots of choices out there so when it comes time to start plumbing it and getting it running I'll figure out what I want. The airdog 2 would definitely take up more space, which I won't have a lot of...

The Quick Fuel pump is a lot smaller than I was expecting after seeing the pictures. I'll get some measurements tomorrow. FYI, I talked to them before I bought it, and they said there wouldn't be any compatibility problems with diesel on any seals or anything.

That's the back brace. You can attach 5 point harness seat belts to it. It's removable so you can gain easy access to the back seat area, or in my case take it out to install the rear floor sheet metal much easier.

My adapter plate and billet flexplate came in today! Thank you Ron at Suncoast! I was surprised that it's 4 separate pieces, but none the less, it's going to get the the job done, be strong and look sweet.

1350008255.jpg

1350008235.jpg

1350008533.jpg

Oh, I took the measurements on that pump the other day. These are all rounded up to the nearest half inch, but I didn't round far on any of them. Height is 5.5", length is 6" (not counting the fittings), and width is 3" (the bracket sticks out another inch making it 4").