1989 CR? what do i need to do?

tatkins85

Thanks for the help guys in advance. Anyways I want to buy a 1989 dodge 4x4 Cummins and do a CR swap. I plan on building this truck to have over a 1000hp and drag race it all the time. So will I need to swap out the tranny with a different one or can I build that one to hold the power or is there something better to do? Also what about the axles and all of the suspension will it all hold up to the power or can I use the old stock 250 suspensions? Also is there any other parts I should be looking into to swap out that was not build good back then, that will not hold up to the racing and power of the CR? Any thoughts or plans or advice and information will help me out. Thanks again guys.

Axles should be fine, I'd go with a 48RE to keep things simple though. You are gonna need to do some work on the suspension though.... leaf sprung $WD trucks generally don't make great for great 60 foot times.

you'd be better off to get a wrecked/rolled common rail and throw a nice 1st gen body on top.

If not, you'll likely have to swap out the front and rear diffs, suspension, etc.

BTW, I think this is an awesome idea, go for it!

True, but this truck will also turn into my daily driver. So the 4x4 will help, plus if i sled pull. This truck should be under the 5k weight mark. It should get 30 mpg, and make a dang fun daily driver.

the front 60 is better than the ones in 2nd,3rd gen trucks because of the one peice axles and servicable wheel bearings.gears are the same size.if the rear is a 60,i would change it to a 80.pinion is smal in the 60's and 70's. ithink the leaf springs would work in the front with some sort of traction bars.

why not go with a 47rh and standalone for the cr? less electronics the better!

Why not to use : 12V p-pump engine and 47RH with mechanical valvebody?

you'd be better off to get a wrecked/rolled common rail and throw a nice 1st gen body on top.

If not, you'll likely have to swap out the front and rear diffs, suspension, etc.

BTW, I think this is an awesome idea, go for it!

AAM axles are junk compared to DANA

1000hp daily driver that gets 30mpg? LMGDAO!!!!

Well my truck as is with nitrous is at 900hp, and my truck weighs 7500 and i get 22 mpg. When i get the smarty pod to down tune my truck, i should be around 24. So a truck that weighs more then 2500 less im guessing should get around 30.

Last edited:
I already have the set up and no how to make a 1000hp daily driver that gets good gas mileage. I just need to put that set up into a lesser weight vehicle. That is the great thing about these CR engines, is they de tune so well plus with the pod it can de tune even more now. Don’t be surprised if you start seeing 1300 hp daily driven trucks running around anymore. These CR engines make it to easy.

You run it at the track? Curious what times you run with it?

You run it at the track? Curious what times you run with it?

lol no not yet. Im to much of a pu$$y to run it at the track yet. I have my billet interm and output shafts sitting in a box and not in my tranny, so i only go on dynos for now.

Well my truck as is with nitrous is at 900hp, and my truck weighs 7500 and i get 22 mpg. When i get the smarty pod to down tune my truck, i should be around 24. So a truck that weighs more then 2500 less im guessing should get around 30.

no offense, but I have a hard time believing those numbers based on my truck

no offense, but I have a hard time believing those numbers based on my truck

NP. Well the 900 hp is not anything special so I don’t know why you can’t believe that one. Anyone with supporting mods big injectors and nitrous can dyno 900-1000hp. The MPG there are lots of people who average that, I was just reading a thread and morkable who’s in the 10 seconds was getting 26 mpg before he went crazy on his truck. Along with a couple other people in that same thread that are getting around that also. Ask around there are plenty of people getting 22mpg. And as of daily drivers, everyone drives the CR's around with or without power.

AAM axles are junk compared to DANA

so....

throw 1000 hp on top of 20 yr. old axles, springs, frame and go drag racing?

I wouldn't, at least not with any expectation of it holding up very well.

NP. Well the 900 hp is not anything special so I don’t know why you can’t believe that one. Anyone with supporting mods big injectors and nitrous can dyno 900-1000hp. The MPG there are lots of people who average that, I was just reading a thread and morkable who’s in the 10 seconds was getting 26 mpg before he went crazy on his truck. Along with a couple other people in that same thread that are getting around that also. Ask around there are plenty of people getting 22mpg. And as of daily drivers, everyone drives the CR's around with or without power.

I've had two CR's... my '04 sits similar to yours. I can run the Smarty on an econo-tune, and it won't do 22mpg. granted it's got Toyo MT's and replacement bumpers.

I don't see injectors that will support 1000rwhp knocking down 30mpg

Hellmann's truck gets like 26mpg on the highway, I don't think he's at 1000hp, and his truck is actually somewhat aerodynamic compared to a 1st gen. and it weighs less than 5000lbs

only one daily driven Common Rail with stock rods that is doing 1300 rear wheel hp, that I know of

anything north of 22 mpg in a 4x4 I have a problem agreeing with

you get 22 mpg with your big tires/lift?

I've got similar mods as well and I am only getting a best 17mpg. How much are you spraying it to get to 900hp? I dynoed mine witht he set up in my sig and was just shy of 600hp and my quater mile times based on my wieght show that I make 615-620. Not bashing, just asking the question. I sure would like to get 20+mpg:rockwoot: