2.6 turbo rule

2.6 rule?

• True 2.6

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • Anything with a bushing/Cheater Chargers

Votes: 27 23.9%

• Total voters
I also wish they would go back to a 2.4" charger class as the lower class. That way the guys with the REAL street trucks that have 62mm chargers that you can still tow with have a good class to pull in. Id probably buy a 62/65/12 if they went back to a 2.4 class. Awesome towing and driving charger that can make a little power.

I also voted true 2.6 charger in the 2.6 class. Bushings in 2.6 is BS in my opinion. It really is getting out of hand.

When you guys say your S400 chargers are "streetable", then that means that you can pull it out on the road and go to the grocery. My definition of streetable is a truck that can pull on Saturday, drive to church on Sunday, and then hook to a 14k lb goosneck and go to work on Monday, and do all this without having to spray water to keep EGT's in check, and also without smoking the whole time you are driving it down the road.

I just think something needs to be done because there truly isnt a class anymore where someone with a small aftermarket charger can come in off the street and have a shot at placing in the top 6 or 8 trucks.

Eric

Not to nitpick Eric...but to me that sounds like a Work truck...as in Work stock. 2.6 isn't a huge step up from there, but to say that a 2.6 truck should be able to tow isn't exactly fair either...granted, I'll bet most could pull it off, but it's not going to be fun to do.

Chris

The only way to solve this is to make them run a slick housing no mwe, Like the super farms that way it dosent matter what size wheel is in there.

If you limit the compressor exducer and turbine measurements, you could allow bushings in the 2.6" and 2.8" class, therefore eliminating the expensive "trick" or "cheater" chargers.

Agreed, but how many times have you been to a pull and they even check the truck? Imagine them trying to check a turbine wheel out? I do agree limiting the dimensions of the wheel would help, but at that point you might as well just run a spec charger. Since everyone will find the setup that makes the most HP and run it.

If you limit the compressor exducer and turbine measurements, you could allow bushings in the 2.6" and 2.8" class, therefore eliminating the expensive "trick" or "cheater" chargers.

Then tech would take half of the day. You have to make things quick and easy, not dismantle the entire engine bay at every pull.

Not to nitpick Eric...but to me that sounds like a Work truck...as in Work stock. 2.6 isn't a huge step up from there, but to say that a 2.6 truck should be able to tow isn't exactly fair either...granted, I'll bet most could pull it off, but it's not going to be fun to do.

Chris

2.6 is a big step up from a 2.4 IMO. Especially if they are going to allow bushing'd chargers in the 2.6 class.

Im not expecting the 2.6 trucks to be able to pull a trailer, but i hear all these guys talking about how "streetable" their trucks are, when the fact is that yes, you could drive it down the road, but thats about the extent of it. Probably every 2.6 pull I have been to this year, at least the top 6-8 trucks are dedicated full time pullers. Im not saying there is anything wrong with that, but it makes it darn near impossible to compete unless you are also running a dedicated pulling truck.

Heck, i dont guess it matters to me as long as I am running a stock turbo, because they are having a stock turbo class with a couple different organizations around here unless they change it for next year, and that is the class i will pull in on the weekends i decide im froggy and want to pull. Im pulling this Saturday in a stock charger class actually.

It just seems to me that there is a large jump between stock turbo, and any aftermarket charger, because it doesent matter what you have. if it isnt a stock charger, even if it is a 57mm Super B you are stuck in the 2.6 class. Have fun with that. I just think a 2.4 class would help fill a void.

Eric

Then tech would take half of the day. You have to make things quick and easy, not dismantle the entire engine bay at every pull.

I think there needs to be a turbo limitation but when it comes to truck teching I would use process of elimination, only do a full/in depth tech on the top pullers receiving payout, usually the top 5 or 6. Anyone caught cheating would earn an instant vacation for a year from the date caught. In my thinking this would cut through a lot of wasted time. If the cheaters are and not winning who cares?

There does need to be some sort of compressor exducer limitation if bushings are allowed.

Why cant the turbos in the 2.6" class be checked for exducer size and then sealed? Maybe it'd force all the places to adopt 1 set of universal rules as well, instead of the 100 different ego driven sets of rules out there.

i dont think in my life time there will be a standard set of rules...... sealed turbos or not.

checking the exducer on the turbos is a great idea if all pulling trucks were cummins, but since they are not it doesnt work too well. getting apart a turbo on a duramax or ford is a big issue at the side of the track. tech personel and everyone else there is pretty pissed by the end of the night if you have to wait on a bunch of trucks to cool down to be torn apart. been there done that.

ted

I think there needs to be a turbo limitation but when it comes to truck teching I would use process of elimination, only do a full/in depth tech on the top pullers receiving payout, usually the top 5 or 6. Anyone caught cheating would earn an instant vacation for a year from the date caught. In my thinking this would cut through a lot of wasted time. If the cheaters are and not winning who cares?

There does need to be some sort of compressor exducer limitation if bushings are allowed.

I actually agree with you for once:hehe:

I think the sealed turbo idea is a good one. ITPA does that with their engins and it works pretty well. And to get away from doing the first check at a pull, have a day or two, befor the pull season starts, where you can take your trucks and have them checked and sealed that day. Like we used to do, have a "meeting" were you bring your trucks and have them checked and sealed befor the season started. Then if you have to break the seal, then you will have to have it rechecked...but 1 or 2 hear and their wouldn't be that bad!

I think 2.6 bore with the compressor wheel protruding into the bore is the best way to go.
Diesel truck pulling has grown tremendously over the past few years. Its starting to become like any other motorsport. The object is to build a truck to pull the sled. Not to build a truck that can pull, tow, daily drive, or whatever.

The object is to build a truck to pull the sled. Not to build a truck that can pull, tow, daily drive, or whatever.

Yes, but there also needs to be some lower classes where you can come off the street and be able to be halfway competitive. Otherwise, you only have people who can afford another truck, and to put big $$ into it to be competitive. Not everyone can afford to do that, but they have a decent running daily driver with say a 2.4 charger on it. They will look pretty sad in most 2.6 classes, and I think there should be a class for them.

I loved the 2.5 class. It was really competitive, and a lot of trucks that were driveable on the street pulled, and I thought they usually looked respectable in the class. A guy with a 62-64mm charger could halfway compete, but instead of everybody jumping to 2.8, they just made the class bigger.:bang

True but look at the difference between the 2.8 class and the 2.6 class. To build a competitive 2.8 truck now you absolutely need a full built motor and then youre not gonna to be able to keep a driveline in it. Im pretty satisfied with the way 2.6 is right now, and I agree that the jump from workstock to 2.6 is pretty big if you want to be competitive. If anything they need to drop the workstock and go to 2.4. But then I kind of feel like the classes are too close together. And even if you did have a 2.4 class you would still have someone that would build a purpose built truck just to try and dominate the 2.4 class.

True but look at the difference between the 2.8 class and the 2.6 class. To build a competitive 2.8 truck now you absolutely need a full built motor and then youre not gonna to be able to keep a driveline in it. Im pretty satisfied with the way 2.6 is right now, and I agree that the jump from workstock to 2.6 is pretty big if you want to be competitive. If anything they need to drop the workstock and go to 2.4. But then I kind of feel like the classes are too close together. And even if you did have a 2.4 class you would still have someone that would build a purpose built truck just to try and dominate the 2.4 class.

I dont think 2.6 to 2.8 is as much of a jump as work stock to 2.6 is. But, It would suit me if they dropped the work stock class(stock turbo), and changed it to 2.4.

I really dont think that would be too close together. Most cummins, and D-Max trucks can make decent power on a 2.4 charger, but still be able to keep the stock driveline together pretty well for the most part. You also stay out of the dual CP3's and 13mm pumps, because there really is no need for them in a 2.4 class. Im sure someone would build a purpose built truck for the class, but thats to be expected, and I think it would be a fun, competitive class really.

I guess what it all boils down to, is that everyone wants to cater to their truck, but I think a 2.4, 2.6 no bushing and then the 2.8 and 3.0 classes as they are normally run would be a pretty good set of classes. They all go up in the same increments as far as the turbo goes, and that way their should be a class for almost everybody.

there is a huge jump from 2.6 to 2.8

the top runnig 2.6 truck at scheid would not come with 20 feet of the top 2.8 truck

2.6 is a big step up from a 2.4 IMO. Especially if they are going to allow bushing'd chargers in the 2.6 class.

Im not expecting the 2.6 trucks to be able to pull a trailer, but i hear all these guys talking about how "streetable" their trucks are, when the fact is that yes, you could drive it down the road, but thats about the extent of it. Probably every 2.6 pull I have been to this year, at least the top 6-8 trucks are dedicated full time pullers. Im not saying there is anything wrong with that, but it makes it darn near impossible to compete unless you are also running a dedicated pulling truck.

how many guys that have 2.6 trucks do you think need their truck to pull a trailer? i would put whatever load behind mine the way it sits now as you do. i dont have to have my truck to pull a trailer, we have 5 other trucks to do so with. thats why i run 2.6, its made possible because we have other trucks. dont bad mouth someone because they dont have to pull a load everyday like some do.

i think its only fair to have just a 2.6 class how would the 3.0 guys like the mod trucks to drop down and pull there class. it would be the same as a 2.8 dropping down to pull 2.6 class. Its just not right. Just my thoughts why have classes to pull in if you can make a small adjustment and pull what ever you want.

how many guys that have 2.6 trucks do you think need their truck to pull a trailer? i would put whatever load behind mine the way it sits now as you do. i dont have to have my truck to pull a trailer, we have 5 other trucks to do so with. thats why i run 2.6, its made possible because we have other trucks. dont bad mouth someone because they dont have to pull a load everyday like some do.

I doubt if many at all need to have their 2.6 truck pull a trailer. Probably almost none, which is exactly why i said a 2.4 class is needed. Because the guys who do pull a trailer typically arent running anything bigger than a 2.4 charger. If you have a true 2.6 charger, have fun with a big load. You can pull it, but you'll be in the slow lane unless you want to melt it down.

And the money point i was talking about was demonstrated in your post. You said yourself you have 5 trucks available.Most people dont. Lots of people only have 1 and its a daily driver.

I never bad mouthed anyone or their trucks, but im just saying that is why they need a good lower class under the 2.6. So the guys who cant afford to run 2.6 will have a class they can be competitive in without breaking the bank and taking away the streetability.

Eric

Back