2003 - 2007 5.9cr & he351ve

WYODodge

Politically Un-Correct
Comandeered an HE351VE turbo today on "Fleabay." Looking to put this thing on my '03 CR when I get home from Afganistan in a couple months. I have been reading all the different websites/forums for the past two months and have come to this conclusion... There is no clear cut answer on an electronic controler for this turbo. Some suggest building/programming your own controller from scratch; Others suggest that Fleece Performance has the solution. While even more suggest pnuematics, cables, and springs. Nor are there any mechanical/technical details in regard to engine compartment clearances, exhaust manifold campatibility, torque specs...ETC.

So, here's what I"m looking for with this thread: A NO BS guide to getting this turbo installed on '03 - '07 CRs that anyone can use. This is not limited to the elctronic aspect and should be all encompassing. This is what I hope will become a Step-by-Step, start-to-finish guide on making this application work. Looking strictly for facts, so please reserve opinions. Looking for BRAND/product name specifics and costs [$$$] if there are any.

So if anyone on here has the facts, I say lets turn-n-burn and make something usefull of this, shall we? :bow:

the turbo is coolant cooled, you'll have to find previous for this. the exhaust manifold flange on your current dodge wont fit the turbo's flange (hints the "1") you'll have to by an aftermarket solution or install a 6.7 manifold. ive herd of stand alone controllers that will take care of the electronics... there are cheaper alternatives, don't be afraid of going bigger with a different turbos.

Both of the past two posts are correct, the Exhaust flange is a Cummins piece similar to a T4. A T4 flange can be easily machined to adapt to the 351 or 451ve otherwise you are looking for an adapter to your current manifold, or using the 6.7's manifold. The thing to remember is that the down pipe matches what ever gen manifold you use. We prefer 2nd gen.

The electronics are coolant cooled, easiest way to work this is to use the heater core lines that come out of the fire wall, just reroute the one on the far passenger side to flow thru the turbo, direction does not matter.

The FPE controllers are good for the 98.5-05 Cummins, they are plug and play, have user input dials for manual nozzle control, and can be tuned realtime on the fly via a USB cord and our software on a laptop. They are 595 with EB and 495 without. In the next few weeks we are hoping to push thru knocking out the 06-07 CRs so we can add them to the list.

Caleb

Both of the past two posts are correct, the Exhaust flange is a Cummins piece similar to a T4. A T4 flange can be easily machined to adapt to the 351 or 451ve otherwise you are looking for an adapter to your current manifold, or using the 6.7's manifold. The thing to remember is that the down pipe matches what ever gen manifold you use. We prefer 2nd gen.

The FPE controllers are good for the 98.5-05 Cummins, they are plug and play, have user input dials for manual nozzle control, and can be tuned realtime on the fly via a USB cord and our software on a laptop. They are 595 with EB and 495 without. In the next few weeks we are hoping to push thru knocking out the 06-07 CRs so we can add them to the list.

Caleb

OK... Questions.

Will a 6.7 OEM ehaust manifold fit a 5.9?
Does anyone know if the aftermarket manifolds [ex. BD / ATS] are compatible with with these turbos?

Referencing FPE controllers... Is this the TurboBrake, the '07 1/2+ 6.7 Boost Controler or an un-named product that is not yet on their website?

The 6.7 manifold will bolt up, we recomend using a 2nd gen ATS,BD,PDI... with the T4, and then just machining the bolt holes for the charger.

The VGT controllers are not on the website as of yet, If anyone has questions on them they can call me at the shop, or shoot me a PM.

The 6.7 manifold will bolt up, we recomend using a 2nd gen ATS,BD,PDI... with the T4, and then just machining the bolt holes for the charger.

For myself and others who may not know, is the T4 the adapter flange you mentioned or did I miss something?

the turbo is coolant cooled, you'll have there are cheaper alternatives, don't be afraid of going bigger with a different turbos.

Thanks for the input.
Call me strange, but I'm not looking to build the strongest puller of fastest drag rig. I'm looking to improve my every day MPG along with towing power & MPG in the mountains.

Unfortunately, a military income doesn't afford very much luxury with big turbos and bells & whistles to go with them.

There us a write up on here for a wastegate operated he351ve with electric controlled exhaust brake. A Mexican man did it to a yellow 24v. I'll try to find it but it's a step by step article pretty much. General pit chat is where it's at.

do the valve springs need to be changed to use the exhaust brake feature on the turbo?

flange on 351ve is considered a "T4i" flange, there is a company in lousiana on ebay that sells the t3 to t4i flange adapter. it runs around 119.00 plus shipping, im currently doing this swap as well. only downfall to you is im doing it on my 12 valve and im building my own electronic controller.

my controller utilizes the existing brushless motor below the factory electronics, a little re wiring of the poles of the motor and an brushless hobby esc i have the motor controlling the vanes with a pot. i just recieved an aurdino board to help control the esc steps and will be using a map sensor to reference drive pressure to help control the vanes. its still in its working stages but for now till fleece works out the 12v ones ill work on mine.

do the valve springs need to be changed to use the exhaust brake feature on the turbo?

24 valves have the 60lb springs, but this brake can be calibrated agressive enough to need a higher rate. So if you plan on tossing the wife through the windshield get some higher rate springs. If you want it to operate like normal then your fine with the stockers. The braking force is calibrated when you get it, but you can turn it up at your own risk using our software.

Brayden

24 valves have the 60lb springs, but this brake can be calibrated agressive enough to need a higher rate. So if you plan on tossing the wife through the windshield get some higher rate springs. If you want it to operate like normal then your fine with the stockers. The braking force is calibrated when you get it, but you can turn it up at your own risk using our software.

Brayden

:hehe: thank you for the info

" In the next few weeks we are hoping to push thru knocking out the 06-07 CRs so we can add them to the list.
Caleb"

Any update on this ???:woohoo:

I would loooooove to be able to install this bad boy with Electronic control !