2003 - 2007 5.9cr & he351ve

Nope, nothing new. We are staying very busy in shop which is good, but limits R&R...

Caleb

how-to

After I get home and settled back in, I plan to make a "how-to guide" with photos and post it here. Should be back to WY this time next month. :woohoo:

I'm glad to hear you guys are busy, never a bad thing, just makes me happy to know you are at least trying to get somthing together for us 06's and 07's ! :thankyou2:

Thank you for your Speedy response, I'll do my best to be patient :lolly:

but will be watching closley for a release:bow:: thanks again !

Sorry to bug you all again, but I am just about ready to install this HE351VE on my truck using manual control, I wanted to check in one last time for an update, before I start my swap
thanks agian

I wanted to check in one last time for an update, before I start my swap

Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer at this time... Still in Afghanistan, but should be leaving very soon. While I am anxious to get my project underway, will be a few weeks yet before I can get to it.

Most definitely will be giving the Fleece shop a call to put my order in!

Please feel free keep us all updated as your swap moves along... Any Do's or Dont's, show-stoppers, and any photos if you can.

Look forward to seeing your updates. :Cheer:s

thank you for responding,
and thank you for serving !
I have not served in the armed forces, but had a father who did, it is never easy to be away from your home for any period of time, especially under the sercumstances you are in, so again I'd like to say thank you and hope you come home soon safe and sound.
now on the the project, it is looking good to start this weekend hopefully friday night !
i will keep you updated with photos, and struggles, I am actually going with a Pneumatic cylinder (actuator) to operate the vanes, until Fleece gets the Electronics figured out on the 066-07's, a guy from CF was kind enough and patient enough to put up with my MANY questions and helped me figure out the setup.

thanks again

and HERE SHE IS !

Attachments

• Picture 012 (2).JPG
    Picture 012 (2).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 013 (2).JPG
    Picture 013 (2).JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 0
and HERE SHE IS !

Reading this on the journey back to WY.

Pics look good.

Can you fill in some details on the air cylinder such as what type, dimensions and supplier?

Did you find that some springs had too much or too little tension?

Keep us updated on how things progress!
:Cheer:

Reading this on the journey back to WY.

Pics look good.

Can you fill in some details on the air cylinder such as what type, dimensions and supplier?

Did you find that some springs had too much or too little tension?

Keep us updated on how things progress!
:Cheer:
First off I have to Thank aborgardt from Cummins forum for helping me come up with this design, and for answering what im sure were many anoying questions ! thanks agian !
now,
Sorry for the Long delay, ive been VERY busy, anyhow I just got the turbo installed tonight, it took awhile Playing with differant springs and combonations of springs to get them to pull the arm back to exactly where I wanted it, I do not have my Turbo to Exhaust Elbow (it will be here tomorrow), but dont think for a second that stopped me from taken her down the road for a test drive !
it was a little loud, but, man oh man, this thing was well worth the constant thinking, night after night after night, it works PERFECTLY ( so far ) after a few slow starts and warm up time I punched it, couldnt get boost to go past 30Psi, didnt look at the Egt gauge, Couldnt get past watching the boost needle shoot up so fast ! at idle im roughly hitting 1-1.5 psi of boost, keep in mind besides a cold air intake, my truck is 100% stock, depending on mods your results may differ, and this was only about a 20 minute road test but initial findings are very promising,
to answer your questisons the actuator is an Ingersol Rand (think thats how its spelled) I got it from Grainger on clearance for $16, it is a 2 way actuator, roughly 6" long with a 4" stoke, you dont need one with that long of a stroke but I thought for the price why not, i went with the 2 way function to allow me to be able to engage the EB once I get onboard air hooked up, which should be in the next few weeks once i sit down and write out a parts list, now for the springs. . . . . some who read this may laugh, others might say, HA! no way, but they are actually "Tremalo" springs normally used for an electric guitar, the reason I went in that direction is simple, after buying ALOT of springs, I couldnt get the right tension I desired, after discussing the progress/issues i was having with a few buddies at work, one of them ( a HUGE music guy ) said you know what might work for you, Tremalo Springs, they are very strong and are ment to last for years under tension without failing, and there fairly Cheap !
off to guitar center I went !, got 6 springs, 3 of two differant brands for $12,
got home and started drilling and testing, depending on the length you stretch the springs (as with any spring) it increases or decreases the tension, so i dont know the exact tension, but these springs are designed to be under differant levels of stress for long periods and not loose there tension, I guess only time/ climate / and ohio's salty winters will determine how long theyll actually last, oh just an FYI my first "bracket" had to be scraped due to the amount of holes that were drilled in it, it was alot of trial and error, i used my air compressor with a regulator to "dial" in the actuators movement but hey time well spent after tonight, it got me to a combination that I am very happy with and seems to be just what im looking for. I will post pictures on here very soon, they are of the Final version of the bracket, and of the turbo actually installed in the truck, its kind of hard to see because I have the intake on, but it was a pain in the but to get it in there just right so i didnt want to move it unless i HAVE to, you will also see i wrapped a little insulation wrap on the intake, it is a VERY TIGHT fit between my contraption and the exhaust manifold and i didnt want the inlet air to get super heated.
you will see in the pictures, I have two springs holding resistance on the actuator opening, two reasons for this, it took two springs to get the arm to reset where i wanted it to be at idle, and for a kind of fail safe (in theory)
if for some reason one of the springs lets loose from the arm, or breaks, the
2nd spring will keep enough resistance to not completly open the vains cause me to loose boost, who know where ill be or what ill be doing if and when one of those little guys decides to let go, just the Aircraft tech in me coming out i like back up systems, another thought that just hit me, is it keeps spreads the full load over two springs instead of one thus prolonging its life, hopefully,either way I have extra spings i will carry with me at all times, which brings up another very nice thing about this set up is accessability, I can very easily remove the fender liner and change springs, or change tension points within minutes, what you dont see in the picture is a splash gaurd/sheild I am rigging up to protect the components from the elements water,mud,sticks,rocks you name it,
well its getting a little late well late for me, and i cannot remember what i have said and what i havent:blahblah1:, if you have any questions at all please let me know ! ill do my best to answer them, and share my experiance
oh by the way, it will be hauling a load in three days , small load 4K lbs but hey no need to jump in with both feet right off the bat,

Looks to me that you may not need an electronic controler when this is over with. I am impressed. I never would have imagined guitar srpings... But, Hey it works!

If had chosen to go this route, I envision butchering screen door springs till one of two things would happen: One, by freak accident I got it right; Two, I get soooo pissed off to just scrap the whole project and buy a new 6.7 Powerstroke.... LOL!!

HOME!!

Well after a 137 days,:doh: I made it back home. While I know there are others here who endure much longer periods of time.... but that's a different different forum, time, place......................

Anyway, moving on.

Got some things to tend to around the house; taking an extended weekend vacation this weekend and hope to get things moving next week.

After getting back and able to look at the turbo I bought with my own eyes for the first time, it is defintely used but appears to be in good shape. :) Never-the-less, I'm going to take it to a local truck/turbo shop just to be certain I have a good turbo and not about to waste a HEAPING amount of time/money with all this. While I cant see any shaft play or hear any bad noises while giving the wheel a spin with a finger...I just want to sure. So, after a visit to a local shop, time to give Fleece a ring.

Updates forth coming.

Looks to me that you may not need an electronic controler when this is over with. I am impressed. I never would have imagined guitar srpings... But, Hey it works!

If had chosen to go this route, I envision butchering screen door springs till one of two things would happen: One, by freak accident I got it right; Two, I get soooo pissed off to just scrap the whole project and buy a new 6.7 Powerstroke.... LOL!!

LOL ! ! !

My buddy bought a 2011 450, and I got to be honest that thing is AMAZING! ! time will tell if it developes issues, but damn its a runner, i would love to drive a new 6.7 cummins just to compare,
but welcome home, and keep us updated !
any questions please feel free to ask

So far....

Took my turbo to a local shop; confirmed its in good shape.
Pulled off the compressor housing and the exhaust elbow; put them through the parts washer as well cleaned some junk off the compressor wheel.

Now waiting for cash flow to come through soon.

Looking for best option on an exhaust manifold.

Last edited:
HI, I am new to the forum.

I got a HE351VE and just located a used 6.7 manifold.

I have been talking to Fleece Performance on the controller.

My only concern at the moment is with the factory 6.7 manifold will the turbo sit in the same place so that my intake and exhaust will connect?

I also plan to plumb in the cooling.

Let me know guys. Great forum!

Dodge 2003

HI, I am new to the forum.

I got a HE351VE and just located a used 6.7 manifold.

I have been talking to Fleece Performance on the controller.

My only concern at the moment is with the factory 6.7 manifold will the turbo sit in the same place so that my intake and exhaust will connect?

I also plan to plumb in the cooling.

Let me know guys. Great forum!

Dodge 2003

If you have a 3rd gen truck and use a 3-4th gen manifold then all your plumbing will remain the same. Be sure that you keep the cast elbow on the turbine side of the 351 so you can use your stock DP.

Caleb

If you have a 3rd gen truck and use a 3-4th gen manifold then all your plumbing will remain the same. Be sure that you keep the cast elbow on the turbine side of the 351 so you can use your stock DP.

Caleb

Thanks for the quick reply carpenca! :thankyou2:

I can't wait to get the VGT installed and see the results! :D

Dodge 2003

Getting closer...

Well,

So far I have managed to get the two halves apart; Clean & inspect, and thus far the trubo looks to be in good shape. The one thing I have not been able to do is test the electric motor to make sure it works. But I did remove the motor from the trubo and the vanes did move with some effort. [heavy soot build up]

I anticipate that the oil fittings on my existing facotry turbo will transfer to this VGT. Only worry with this is I dont know if the existing lines will be long enough to reach the VGT once everything is bolted in place on the OEM 3rd gen manifold. Will be using brass fittings on the water side.

Getting very close to making the swap. By biggest hold up for now is Congress. If payday doesn't come on the 15th like normal, there will be no $$$ for a controler and this whole deal is on stand-by, just like the rest of the country.:bs: