2005 Cr New build Problems

12VALVEADAM

Motivated
So I have a 2005 dodge 2500. Just rebuilt it. Stock pistons, 188/220 cam, 12v rods, stock springs, pushrods, 100hp injectors, head studs ect...

So my problem is that I was driving it along after I got it all put back together and it was doing perfect. About half throttle and all of a sudden it felt like timing slipped (like a 12v) lost power, had a slight knock for a second white smoke, so I shut it off and rolled back to the shop. only codes I had were low oil pressure, cam sensor. The cam sensor code was there the whole time tho and would just come right back on as soon as it was cleared. Any ideas on what it could be?? Could a sensor cause this? Im a 12v guy so all these sensors I have no clue.

Yes a sensor most definitely can be cause your symptoms. Especially the CAM sensor. The ECM doesn't know when to fire the injectors if it doesn't know what position the engine is in. You have a sensor problem or you wiring issue. Also low oil pressure on a newly rebuilt engine = not good.

Yes a sensor most definitely can be cause your symptoms. Especially the CAM sensor. The ECM doesn't know when to fire the injectors if it doesn't know what position the engine is in. You have a sensor problem or you wiring issue. Also low oil pressure on a newly rebuilt engine = not good.

I'm getting a new cam sensor tomorrow, the oil pressure is weird tho. It ran for 20 min to warm up not a problem. Drove it, let it idle and then the gauge went to 0 after 10 seconds. Shut it off right away. Started it back up and oil pressure is perfect. Drive it let it idle again and ssame thing. Im also going to throw a new oil pressure sensor in it just to rule that out.

Did u check and make sure ur cam sensor is plugged in good.? Check ur rpms on your scan tool make sure they aren't bouncing all over the place.

As far as ur oil pressure goes is it just that gauge that zeros out or some of the others as well?

unplugged it, I checked the wires and all were good. I did have the crank and cam mixed up right at first start and it would not start. Switched them and it was perfect for about 5 min then the code came on.

Only the oil pressure gauge drops that's it.

Yeah I've tossed the harness on quick and mixed them up as well.

U can ohm the connector side to see if its the wires or just toss a new cam sensor in. That oil pressure issue would make me nervous.

Plug ur scanner into it and read oil pressure to see if its sensor side or possible stepper motor issue

OK so update now, I replaced the cam sensor and it runs perfect again after it cleared itself out. However after 15 sec of idle time the light come back on for a cam sensor performance. I don't want to drive it again and have it do that until I can get this light off. Any ideas? Could be be from me putting the bigger cam in it?

Cam. I'm not to familiar with the cr 5.9 I know on the ol 12v the tone wheel goes onto studs on the cam gear if I recall. It's been awhile since I've been inside of one

I think you are thinking of a different engine. My 12v has a cam and crank gear no tone ring. Only ring on a common rail it the crank one that I know of

Well now I'd be checking the wiring like ohm out the plug. I'd guess u have a wire that is frayed. Not completely busted but close. Also if u didn't get the cam timed in right it could cause this issue