2005 Cr New build Problems

I just took the stock gear off and put it on the new cam with the key way. I guess ill start looking at wires and such. And no oil pressure issues today at all

So u lined up the timing marks on the crank gear and cam gear before pulling it out? Otherwise its easy to get it out of time.

Yeah and then I lined them up when I put the gear and cam in. I was doing some ohm testing on the connecter to the cam sensor. As far as I can tell according to our testing thing, it says to see if the ground of the harness is above 100k to ground and there was nothing. So can I assume that there is no ground or the harness is shorted to ground?

Another thing to check. If you installed a new cam or gear you may not have it seated the gear all the way on the cam causing excessive clearance between the gear and sensor. Or the cam gear walks off the cam slightly just after a new install. I've seen this happen a few times.

Chris

Short to ground is possible make sure all your grounds are hooked back in. If I remember right there are 2 of them on the driver side for that harness. I will look tomorrow but I believe the gear is flush with the end of the cam.

So if all my ground are good then what do you guys suggest? making a jumper wire with a good ground to that wire?

Another thing to check. If you installed a new cam or gear you may not have it seated the gear all the way on the cam causing excessive clearance between the gear and sensor. Or the cam gear walks off the cam slightly just after a new install. I've seen this happen a few times.

Chris

x2. Was just going to recommend this. Happened to a good friend of mine after his cam install and he had similar symptoms

x2. Was just going to recommend this. Happened to a good friend of mine after his cam install and he had similar symptoms

Do you know how far it has to be pushed on? Cause I have it flush right now but have not looked since its been running.

The cam will actually stick out a little past the end of the gear. If yours is only flush i would guess your gear isnt on far enough for the sensor to read.

Just measured my 188/220 Hamilton on my bench and its sticks out .118" beyond the gear face.

See if you can modify the sensor mounting face using a mill or grind it down a bit to close the gap. It does have a metal insert for the bolt to keep from crushing the plastic. This may save you from pulling the cam.

Chris.

Just measured my 188/220 Hamilton on my bench and its sticks out .118" beyond the gear face.

See if you can modify the sensor mounting face using a mill or grind it down a bit to close the gap. It does have a metal insert for the bolt to keep from crushing the plastic. This may save you from pulling the cam.

Chris.

Hmm that's a good thought. Cause I know I was flush with the front. Ill stop messing with the wiring for now and see if I can adapt the sensor to sit closer In.

OK so did some more digging today and I do have a cam and crank signal. However, the cam signal is jumping all over the place from 750-100 back to 600 ect.. while the crank is steady at 740-750. I wiggle the pigtail at the sensor and I lost all signal. So im going to get a pigtail now and see if that takes care of it. What do you guys think?

By wiggling the pigtail could you have wiggled the sensor itself? Just a thought. Sensor still may not be picking up a signal due to location. Gotta start somewhere tho. And no I wouldn't use butt connectors, solder and heat shrink only.

Last edited:
Well I didn't end doing the pigtail. I was checking everything with my meter and When I ohm the ground to the neg of the battery I should have 0 resitence right? Instead I have 14.3. So something is shorting to ground?

That's what I was thinking too. I have my 5v supply is fine and signal wire is fine. So something somewhere is shorted to the ground on this circuit?