2011 Badger Truck Pullers Rules

FYI: The changes to the turbo rule posted is not the same as changes that were voted on at the rule meeting for this season. Single turbos are still unlimited. For twin turbos the only rule change voted on and approved was allowing stock MAP/MWE groves on non-bushed turbos. Somehow that has morphed into not allowing clipped wheels. There were no rules against these hybrid turbos last year, and they were not discussed at the rule meeting. Stay tuned. :pop:

Last edited:
FYI: The changes to the turbo rule posted is not the same as changes that were voted on at the rule meeting for this season. Single turbos are still unlimited. For twin turbos the only rule change voted on and approved was allowing stock MAP/MWE groves on non-bushed turbos. Somehow that has morphed into not allowing clipped wheels. There were no rules against these hybrid turbos last year, and they were not discussed at the rule meeting. Stay tuned. :pop:

I think they clarified for a reason....

If not clarified, I could have put a 4.1 Hx82 atmosphere charger with a stock MAP/MWE grove and had a special cover made that had a 3.0" step in front of the compressor wheel... Allowing the 4.1 to pull air through the MWE groove, don't you understand, or is that what you wanted for your benefit????

I'm not sure if you were trying to pull one over on them, or if you really think one got pulled over on you...

Not that I am really involved with this class but I agree that it was just clarifying what is allowed. The more clarified you make all of the rules the better then there is no grey area for anything to get confused in.

Here is the rule: 14. Turbochargers are limited to two turbochargers only. Single turbos are unlimited. For multiple turbos, the inducer bore on the atmosphere compressor housing(s) may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. A bushing may be used to downsize the compressor housing ahead of the wheel. If a bushing or stepped cover is used, the bore must be round, at least 3/4 inch long, mounted within 0.050 inch of the compressor wheel and the inside diameter of the bore may not exceed the 3.0 inch limit. The inducer bore will be measured using a 3.05 inch plug.

and this is what was added for this year: All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore are prohibited if the atmospheric turbo is not a true 3” turbo, meaning the compressor wheel protrudes into a 3” inducer bore with no step, clipping, bushing, etc. Stock MWE grooves are permitted on true 3” atmospheric turbo(s). (2011)

no where does it say you cannot have a clipped wheel, it just says that if you clip the wheel, use a step cover, or a bushing you cannot have a map groove becuse you are using a turbo that is not a ture 3" if the turbo was a TURE 3" you can have a map grove

I think they clarified for a reason....

If not clarified, I could have put a 4.1 Hx82 atmosphere charger with a stock MAP/MWE grove and had a special cover made that had a 3.0" step in front of the compressor wheel... Allowing the 4.1 to pull air through the MWE groove, don't you understand, or is that what you wanted for your benefit????

I'm not sure if you were trying to pull one over on them, or if you really think one got pulled over on you...

Here was the rule last year;

14. Turbochargers are limited to two turbochargers only. Single turbos are unlimited. For multiple turbos, the inducer bore on the atmosphere compressor housing(s) may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. A bushing may be used to downsize the compressor housing ahead of the wheel. If a bushing is used, it must be round, at least 3/4 inch long, mounted within 0.050 inch of the compressor wheel and the inside diameter of the bushing may not exceed the 3.0 inch limit. The inducer bore will be measured using a 3.05 inch plug. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the pore are prohibited.

The motion that was made and passed at the fall meeting was "Stock map width groves are allowed on non bushed turbos." The typo of changing pore to bore was fixed. That is it, plain and simple.

Here is what this years rule came out as;

14. Turbochargers are limited to two turbochargers only. Single turbos are unlimited. For multiple turbos, the inducer bore on the atmosphere compressor housing(s) may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. A bushing may be used to downsize the compressor housing ahead of the wheel. If a bushing or stepped cover is used, the bore must be round, at least 3/4 inch long, mounted within 0.050 inch of the compressor wheel and the inside diameter of the bore may not exceed the 3.0 inch limit. The inducer bore will be measured using a 3.05 inch plug. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore are prohibited if the atmospheric turbo is not a true 3” turbo, meaning the compressor wheel protrudes into a 3” inducer bore with no step, clipping, bushing, etc. Stock MWE grooves are permitted on true 3” atmospheric turbo(s). (2011)

Where in the rule does it say that you can’t have a 4.1 inch wheel? It only says 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. I am not trying to pull anything over on anyone. Heck, I was the ONLY one who submitted any kind of turbo wheel change for discussion at the fall meeting. My motion was discussed, amended, and then passed by everyone present. If someone wanted to outlaw clipped wheels as this new rule is trying to do it should have been done in the proper way. To make such a big change without a vote is wrong. That is not the right way to operate a professional organization.

Here was the rule last year;

14. Turbochargers are limited to two turbochargers only. Single turbos are unlimited. For multiple turbos, the inducer bore on the atmosphere compressor housing(s) may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. A bushing may be used to downsize the compressor housing ahead of the wheel. If a bushing is used, it must be round, at least 3/4 inch long, mounted within 0.050 inch of the compressor wheel and the inside diameter of the bushing may not exceed the 3.0 inch limit. The inducer bore will be measured using a 3.05 inch plug. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the pore are prohibited.

The motion that was made and passed at the fall meeting was "Stock map width groves are allowed on non bushed turbos." The typo of changing pore to bore was fixed. That is it, plain and simple.

Here is what this years rule came out as;

14. Turbochargers are limited to two turbochargers only. Single turbos are unlimited. For multiple turbos, the inducer bore on the atmosphere compressor housing(s) may be no larger than 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. A bushing may be used to downsize the compressor housing ahead of the wheel. If a bushing or stepped cover is used, the bore must be round, at least 3/4 inch long, mounted within 0.050 inch of the compressor wheel and the inside diameter of the bore may not exceed the 3.0 inch limit. The inducer bore will be measured using a 3.05 inch plug. All provisions allowing air to the wheel other than via the bore are prohibited if the atmospheric turbo is not a true 3” turbo, meaning the compressor wheel protrudes into a 3” inducer bore with no step, clipping, bushing, etc. Stock MWE grooves are permitted on true 3” atmospheric turbo(s). (2011)

Where in the rule does it say that you can’t have a 4.1 inch wheel? It only says 3.0 inches measured at the smallest diameter area of the compressor wheel. I am not trying to pull anything over on anyone. Heck, I was the ONLY one who submitted any kind of turbo wheel change for discussion at the fall meeting. My motion was discussed, amended, and then passed by everyone present. If someone wanted to outlaw clipped wheels as this new rule is trying to do it should have been done in the proper way. To make such a big change without a vote is wrong. That is not the right way to operate a professional organization.

No one wanted to outlaw clipped wheels, they just didn't want anyone running the MWE groove behind the step....because then it really doesn't act like a surge preventative, it adds more power! Making the twins capable of more power, correct?? You were trying to make your setup capable of more power!?!?

Ban twins and be done with it. Get rid of the unlimited single rule. Get with the national program and get on the 3.0 bus.

Ban twins and be done with it. Get rid of the unlimited single rule. Get with the national program and get on the 3.0 bus.

Nahhh... There is already twins trucks out and why ban them? If they want to make a run at it, they should be able to.

It's just like the 2.6, you want more people doing it, so you might as well give everyone the chance to do their own thing.

Plus, I really want to see how far someone takes this unlimited single and what kind of power can be made.... I think I know who will go with the big charger and the big driveline, but there is only one way to find out! Strobels were pretty low key about all the ODL talk on the net, they will probably have something up their sleeves...

No one wanted to outlaw clipped wheels, they just didn't want anyone running the MWE groove behind the step....because then it really doesn't act like a surge preventative, it adds more power! Making the twins capable of more power, correct?? You were trying to make your setup capable of more power!?!?

I am not trying to change my setup at all. I feel the rule changes that were made and not voted on can be used to ban setups like the one I have had all along. The wording was fine last year stating that no air is allowed into the wheel other than through the bore. That is simple and to the point. People brought up the MWE groove, so I went though the process of getting it into the rules as my motion stated. My MWE grove is inside the 3.0 inch bore.

I did not hook with them last season because I was ODL, but the prior year I made the only 2 hooks I could that we didn't have a interfering hook.

Neither of you are making consistent hooks with the club, so it doesn't seem to be your place to tell them what to do with their rules... They have a pretty good count on trucks all year long, so what they are doing must be working. If you build a top notch 3.0 truck, it will run with any of them guys, if not buy a second cover with the opening for the full wheel of the compressor that will be clipped and it will be similar to their unlimited singles.

I did not hook with them last season because I was ODL, but the prior year I made the only 2 hooks I could that we didn't have a interfering hook.

Neither of you are making consistent hooks with the club, so it doesn't seem to be your place to tell them what to do with their rules... They have a pretty good count on trucks all year long, so what they are doing must be working. If you build a top notch 3.0 truck, it will run with any of them guys, if not buy a second cover with the opening for the full wheel of the compressor that will be clipped and it will be similar to their unlimited singles.

i just put my opinion in as someone that would come up and hook a few times a year. it just seems odd to me to have a different set of rules than the rest of the midwest, but they can do what they want its up to them.

Last edited:
i just put my opinion in as someone that would come up and hook a few times a year. it just seems odd to me to have a different set of rules than the rest of the midwest, but they can do what they want its up to them.

i wouldnt worry about it. there will come a time that the guys up north will get up to speed and the rules will change. im just glad that ISP got a 3.0 ODL class along with badger. and the rules a re simmler, hitches are the only thing i can think of. at least we can go to wisconson and pull now.

I think the same way just grand father the twin trucks in but no one thought that way

I think the same way just grand father the twin trucks in but no one thought that way

I agree also, but I understand why members want it to stay. We have a couple members with twins, and it is hard to tell them to get bent... I ran them and they worked well, the only downfall was the broken parts. I was one posting and trying to get them to go ODL, and I am glad they did. But I would understand if they didn't like or want my opinion either...

I like your idea though, Jeff.

I wish that were the case, but when we started the Badger Truck diesel class the DHRA rules we adopted had a twin class. Since then lots of things have changed nationally and Badger Truck has not. It is hard to tell people that they can no longer be a part of your club, but with a national set of rules we would not have the problem we are having now with board members going behind closed doors and making up rules that don’t apply to their own trucks (single turbo trucks) and making stuff up to limit the twin turbo trucks. I would not have a problem with their ruling if it had been voted on by everyone and not just “clarified” on their own.